Science Forums

Does The "renaming" Of Global Warming/climate Change Prove It's A Hoax?

HydrogenBond

So exactly what are we getting out of sending John Kerry to Antarctica that we otherwise could not have gotten??

I don't know. 

If I was in charge of dealing with climate change for some organization, I would make it a point of visiting places that were affected by it.  You are, in general, better able to do your job when you talk to the people actually experiencing the results of your decisions (and when you can see firsthand what is happening.)  That's why foreign travel is important for people who want to be foreign policy leaders, for example.

I don't know. 

If I was in charge of dealing with climate change for some organization, I would make it a point of visiting places that were affected by it.  You are, in general, better able to do your job when you talk to the people actually experiencing the results of your decisions (and when you can see firsthand what is happening.)  That's why foreign travel is important for people who want to be foreign policy leaders, for example.

I can see the need for foreign policy leaders to travel to other countries to meet with other leaders in their own countries, but we have scientists in Antarctica already, and I believe they are the ones who's firsthand experiences matter more, and in the age of the internet, travel for leaders to exotic locations for photo - ops seems pointless to me.

For those of us low on the totem pole, it can get tiresome being preached to about the evils of our ways as we struggle to keep our homes warm and pay our bills and our taxes.

I drive old diesel vehicles that are paid for and more efficient than most other vehicles on the road, on our farm we operate old equipment that is reliable,  repairable  and  paid for, if a little less efficient than more modern replacements would be.  If we upgrade to the latest, greatest, and most efficient stuff, how are we supposed to pay for it?  It is very easy for those with power and money to preach.

I can see the need for foreign policy leaders to travel to other countries to meet with other leaders in their own countries, but we have scientists in Antarctica already, and I believe they are the ones who's firsthand experiences matter more, and in the age of the internet, travel for leaders to exotic locations for photo - ops seems pointless to me.

Let me give you a real world example.

I was the engineer in charge of accessories for one of our satellite phones.  We started using a supplier in Ireland to build lithium ion batteries (very new at the time.)  They worked for the first six months, then they all started to swell and pop their cases.  We tried working it from this end for a few months; the problem just kept getting worse.

Finally I decided I had to go to the factory.  "There's no reason for that," management told me.  "There are battery chemists there.  What are you going to do that they can't?"  They thought I just wanted a vacation (my family is from there.)  I persisted and finally got the trip approved.

We met with the manufacturer in Belfast and they presented their fault analysis.  Didn't show us anything new.  Then we went to the factory.  I walked in the door (this was September in Ireland) and stopped about five feet in.  "Do you have air conditioning in here?" I asked.  "No," the foreman said.  "This is an old building and it was too expensive to put in."  We looked at the line.  Most of the line was inside a climate-controlled glass box - but the separator for the battery was fed from a spool outside the box.  It was absorbing water from the hot/humid Irish summer, and water causes swelling and eventual failure in lithium ion batteries.

That was something we didn't expect to find, and never really thought about it.  Of COURSE their factory was air conditioned; it would be nuts to do battery manufacturing in an uncontrolled environment!  (At least that's what we thought.)  We made a stink and they put in A/C.

Then I got back.  The next batch of batteries we got in worked fine.  And I then had to sit there and listen to the bean counters tell me that my "vacation" wasn't necessary after all, because the problem had been fixed, and all those chemists out there fixed it.

For those of us low on the totem pole, it can get tiresome being preached to about the evils of our ways as we struggle to keep our homes warm and pay our bills and our taxes.

I don't think anyone is calling you evil.

I drive old diesel vehicles that are paid for and more efficient than most other vehicles on the road, on our farm we operate old equipment that is reliable,  repairable  and  paid for, if a little less efficient than more modern replacements would be.  If we upgrade to the latest, greatest, and most efficient stuff, how are we supposed to pay for it?

Do your vehicles last forever?  If so, great.  If not, then their replacements will be cleaner.  Doesn't seem like that much of a hardship.

So exactly what are we getting out of sending John Kerry to Antarctica that we otherwise could not have gotten??

...along the lines of billvon's answer....

Raising awareness, gaining unique knowledge, building credibility, and networking all seem to be the goal of these efforts, which usually entail a one-time expenditure of extra carbon, but that are intended to reduce the overall long-term expenditure of extra carbon.

But most of those points are only benefiting John Kerry directly, rather than us.  I guess all "we are getting out of" his trip is the raised awareness. 

Hopefully our children's grandchildren will get some substantial benefit from his extra trip.

I drive old diesel vehicles that are paid for and more efficient than most other vehicles on the road, on our farm we operate old equipment that is reliable,  repairable  and  paid for, if a little less efficient than more modern replacements would be.  If we upgrade to the latest, greatest, and most efficient stuff, how are we supposed to pay for it?  It is very easy for those with power and money to preach.

If our policy makers would properly account for carbon extraction from the ground and carbon emission into the air, then you would get paid enough extra to easily afford the most efficient stuff.

~