Science Forums

How Close Are We To The Game Of The Anime Sword Art Online And The Technology?

Kaito

If you would allow me to interject here, I believe that a restatement of my original point is necessary. The human brain is not a fixed entity that can simply be mapped and used as a guide to how all of humanity is, the people who are currently pushing this technology over at Emotiv state that you must train your mind in a very specific way to associate certain parts of the brain with certain actions to receive any results. That said, the biggest issue software-wise is the development of a universal calibration system that will be able to tune itself to the brain of any individual without special training. In Sword Art Online it is explained that the reason the game knows the size and body type of the players is because it used information gathered through the calibration. This is important since before anybody can create a commercial product that can be successful, they need to reach a wide and very casual audience that wont spend very much time training their mind to play.

Edited by NotBrad

If it was invasive (and possibly fast) I could potentially see a technology similar to this being approved for clinical use, such as in a hospital. If someone is in a coma, for example, there might be a possibility of hooking them up into this machine quickly enough before their brain completely goes into stasis where they would be able to almost see through a screen into the outside world and control a sort of body, it would be on wheels though. They could choose when they want to see in and out of the real world, in between being able to adventure/play around in a virtual world. It is an interesting concept, I believe. Of course, this would then allow the person in said coma/stasis to interact with the world still and possibly make it easier to monitor their brains to make sure they are not being damaged. Just a thought. 

Also, TheOriginalKirito, "If I find more I will edit the post." You are essentially saying you researched some of this, not that you are an expert on MMO Games. Yes, there was a good estimate by scientists that by the year 2020-2025 we will probably have photo-realistic graphics. That does not mean we will have mapped the billions of neurons inside the brain or exactly how they operate either. Both are necessary in order to achieve such technology as we are discussing. And also, there is always a safe way to do something- there are millions of ways to do specific things, there are only just a few we can think about at the same time. Eventually there will be a time in the future where we will most likely have mapped the human brain and be able to use it where it could "transport" of sorts you to another world. However, the technology would also have to be designed to a point where the game/world could not take complete control of the person's brain, such as it does in Sword Art Online. However, a circumstance in which a scenario is built into the software where it would take control of the player's brain would probably be found by whoever was approving (whether it be a patent office, the government, etc.) It is extremely unlikely that a scenario such as Sword Art Online would actually occur. 

I have one problem with your talk about coma. In a coma the person does not show any signs of cognitive functions. For the person to be able to interact with the world they have to know what they are doing and what they want to do. Sure, it is an interesting idea but that is just what I see that is a major flaw with the ability to use this in a coma. 

NotBrad: You have a good point there. The machine would have to analyze the player's movement patterns and other things, as well as be able to gather information for the game to render a "life-like" version of the person. This could be optional for each person. If they want to create their own avatar they could easily do that but would take a longer time to get used to the body and be able to effectively use it in the "world" they are in.

Edited by blaiz3

I have one problem with your talk about coma. In a coma the person does not show any signs of cognitive functions. For the person to be able to interact with the world they have to know what they are doing and what they want to do. Sure, it is an interesting idea but that is just what I see that is a major flaw with the ability to use this in a coma. 

You have a good point. People show no cognitive function in a coma- which is exactly what I'm saying. What if we were able to make it so that people in a coma could interact cognitively into the real world using a Full Dive system and a screen/camera that acts as their eyes and ears to the real world from the virtual world. (So...like watching TV from inside a virtual world. Except the TV is showing the real world and you're able to communicate through it. That would be a significant scientific advance in itself).

Also, perhaps for the analyzation, make it so before the user is able to actually use the FullDive system, make it so they can import schematics of themselves, or have the system scan them quickly to get their body proportions and centering right, so that the person isn't totally off balance or has to adjust to a completely new body every single time they leave and enter the Virtual World. It'd essentially be like learning to walk and run again, which I'd guess would be extremely confusing for your brain, especially depending on how old the user was. 

You have a good point. People show no cognitive function in a coma- which is exactly what I'm saying. What if we were able to make it so that people in a coma could interact cognitively into the real world using a Full Dive system and a screen/camera that acts as their eyes and ears to the real world from the virtual world. (So...like watching TV from inside a virtual world. Except the TV is showing the real world and you're able to communicate through it. That would be a significant scientific advance in itself).

Also, perhaps for the analyzation, make it so before the user is able to actually use the FullDive system, make it so they can import schematics of themselves, or have the system scan them quickly to get their body proportions and centering right, so that the person isn't totally off balance or has to adjust to a completely new body every single time they leave and enter the Virtual World. It'd essentially be like learning to walk and run again, which I'd guess would be extremely confusing for your brain, especially depending on how old the user was. 

This would work except there is little understanding of how a coma affects the brain (at least from the last I've read about it). The machine may be able to transmit information to the brain but there is no way for the person's brain to interpret these signals. Usually the brain has undergone some form of damaging trauma that completely shut's down a majority of the brains functions and leaves the person near death because of the essential "shutdown" of the entire body. The only functions the brain is able to carry out are its vital commands (keeping the cardiovascular and respiratory systems running) in most coma cases. With that being said it has been a couple of years since the last time that I've read anything about how coma's affect cognitive function and general brain function so I could be off on some of this. I may go and read up on it tomorrow so I can be sure on what I'm saying and to correct myself if need be.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, that's a lot of responses. (5 in total, all basically saying the same thing. Do you have an exact reason why that happened, or did you do it purposefully? If so, it's really quite annoying). 

Also, are you referring to Project Morpheus? The standard definition of Virtual Reality and the version we're talking about are extremely different. Also, what you're saying is actually impossible- scientists predict we will have photo-realistic graphics around the year 2020, nothing yet close to actually creating a Virtual Reality. Project Morpheus is only 360 degree sound and a headset visor, very similar to the Oculus Rift, but configured for Playstation games. It isn't the same type of Virtual Reality we're talking about here, where your mind and senses sort of "travel" or are "placed into" a Virtual World. 

@Gamer2442 

On what basis have you said this information? Skype has been used to send viruses and malware before. Your actions and words do not match your claims, and I would like to warn members of this forum to not give out your skype address, as it can expose you to malware. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, im new here, first of all i want to appologize for my english, its not my first language. 

Now to the point, i see many post about how theoreticaly possible to put the human mind into the virtual world, but do someone asked here about the body there? For example, we managed to do this, we moved actually human mind into the VR threw some NerveGear or Matrix "pin", then what? I just barrely imagine what then, the software must somehow work with our mind, + software must recreate somehow our form that will be able to interract with the world and we must fill that object (virtual body) like its our own, and move like we actually move in reality, gosh, for me its even much more complicated then the part of how to put human mind into this world, at least in this part i making some reserches via the internet (for the past 2 years +- and at least some theoretical ideas i do have) but this, im totaly lost in this part. That is why i do ask it here, im not sure about if it was already discused here, but as i went threw the post i did not notice anything like that, if i did missed it somewhere, i would really appriciate if someone navigate me there.

Thanks in advice.

Edited by MrDonaldCrack

The best way to think of it is that our entire perception of the universe is completely subjective. We don't even know if we would recognise the universe if we were to experience it through somebody elses mind. A true virtual reality system (as in matrix style) would mean creating inputs that mimic those that we would normally receive. That's the input part. The output part where we affect and influence the virtual environment would basically just be like computer games we have now accept that it would take a lot more time, effort, money and hardware to set it up.

The best way to think of it is that our entire perception of the universe is completely subjective. We don't even know if we would recognise the universe if we were to experience it through somebody elses mind. A true virtual reality system (as in matrix style) would mean creating inputs that mimic those that we would normally receive. That's the input part. The output part where we affect and influence the virtual environment would basically just be like computer games we have now accept that it would take a lot more time, effort, money and hardware to set it up.

For the input parts if i get it right you mean some kind of device which mimic our neural signals which send them to the brain right? And about the output part, i think that virtual games nowadays is nothing in comparison with how our mind will react on the virtual body. i see it this way, basicaly, when our mind will be in VR, if our mind will be corectly integrated in VR, then we will be like a ghost there, without proper body, we actually will be able that we have hands, legs and soo on, but we wont see it, we wont be able to interact with the virtual world until we somehow manage to pin the virtual body to the body our brain feel in VR. I hope you understand me, again im sorry for the english.

P.S. By the way, right now im making a document where i put together all pices of information, technology and discoveries for the past to years, which will may, or may not, lead the humankind to the VR, i hope it will be handy to someone who really trying to make this technology out of nowhere.

For the input parts if i get it right you mean some kind of device which mimic our neural signals which send them to the brain right?

Right.

And about the output part, i think that virtual games nowadays is nothing in comparison with how our mind will react on the virtual body. i see it this way, basicaly, when our mind will be in VR, if our mind will be corectly integrated in VR, then we will be like a ghost there, without proper body, we actually will be able that we have hands, legs and soo on, but we wont see it, we wont be able to interact with the virtual world until we somehow manage to pin the virtual body to the body our brain feel in VR.

Again, we'd just need to mimic the signal our brain receives, then as far as we're concerned we will have a body because we'll feel like we do and see them. We won't need the virtual body to do anything. The interactions would directly effect the environment, then as an after thought the system could make us perceive that we're affecting the environment in the same way we would normally, or it could leave that bit out and make us feel like we've got super powers. :)

Yeah @Kaito, I am currently trying to organize some people together in an attempt to create the NerveGear(not what it is actually going to be named). You can find the forum here: http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/28417-17robots-fulldive-vr-company/. If you would like to join, I am always looking for new people to help.

Can I join? I think I have talked on there before but I would love to join it.

For the input parts if i get it right you mean some kind of device which mimic our neural signals which send them to the brain right? And about the output part, i think that virtual games nowadays is nothing in comparison with how our mind will react on the virtual body. i see it this way, basicaly, when our mind will be in VR, if our mind will be corectly integrated in VR, then we will be like a ghost there, without proper body, we actually will be able that we have hands, legs and soo on, but we wont see it, we wont be able to interact with the virtual world until we somehow manage to pin the virtual body to the body our brain feel in VR. I hope you understand me, again im sorry for the english.

I think your missing something. The body would already be provided. That's where coding comes into place. So that people will think they're actually moving.

Again, we'd just need to mimic the signal our brain receives, then as far as we're concerned we will have a body because we'll feel like we do and see them. We won't need the virtual body to do anything. The interactions would directly effect the environment, then as an after thought the system could make us perceive that we're affecting the environment in the same way we would normally, or it could leave that bit out and make us feel like we've got super powers. :)

You're right in some ways, but just like playing a videogame you are able to see other characters, and are able to interact with them. We could just code that into the virtual world too. If I'm wrong just say so but I don't think graphics or making the characters or even making the brain think that we're in the real world. Cause just like you said the brain would be receiving the same signals as if it were walking around in the real world.

Edited by Puppy7718