Science Forums

Business And Futurology

AozoraK

I like what Larry Page, CEO and co-founder of Google, said in a recent "Wired" article: "PARC had a tremendous research organization and they invented many of the tools of modern computing. But they weren’t focused on commercialization. You need both. Take one company I admire, Tesla. They’ve not only made a really innovative car, but they’re probably spending 99 percent of their effort figuring out how to actually get it out to people. When I was growing up, I wanted to be an inventor. Then I realized that there’s a lot of sad stories about inventors like Nikola Tesla, amazing people who didn’t have much impact, because they never turned their inventions into businesses."

Maybe there's a gem of inspiration there for you young smart bucks to take in. In other words, I'd say that whatever invention you come up with, set up a business plan to run alongside.

Edited by zazz54

Its good to see the collaboration. I do follow this thread daily, and it's good to see regulars on here fighting for the same dream. I also wanted to add that I agree with what he mentioned about heading to a virtual world to escape from the world full of greed, poverty, suffering, and evil. A lot of people (including some of my old friends) play long-term games simply for the reason of escaping the real world. We look at World of Warcraft and we see that a small percentage of the players on it will spend every second of their free time playing so they can be happy, because entering this world (to some players) is one of the only things to make them smile!

In the medical sense, it can prove dangerous. But it doesn't mean that there isn't a positive side to it also! The amount of support we would get from those players would be enormous! And we would help make people happy, by letting them be something that they would never be able to achieve in the real world (from their standpoint.)

I'd like to make sure that we're all on the same page here, but I feel like we are shooting ourselves in the foot by bring up problems that we can't do anything about at this time. So for now, while the site is being created, maybe we can look into some of the obstacles that we can deal with now! Such as our method approach to being able to sync Into such a system. There has to be a stepping point that we can begin at. I actually have to go back over a few pages of the thread as a review considering the fact that I can only allow my free time to assist in this project (which is not a lot at all) has me going over and looking at everything a second time.

And as I say in every thread I post, I apologize to anyone who may take offense or if I messed up in my understanding. English is my first language, but I hang around a bunch of illiterate d@*#s all day.

If of course we could get a global single group, with respectively up-scaled funding and resources, all under one roof to remain fully motivated, without bringing issues like fame, money and ego into the game, from start to end, that would be great.  My sociology teacher however taught me to never loose faith the in the arrogance, greed and stupidity of the human race.  I hope he was wrong.

It's been my experience that on the whole, he, (your sociology teacher) isn't. However, to keep the integrity intact, it's the leaders that make the difference. Lead with the right motivation and focus and at least you'll have a better chance than with leaders whose only focus is to gain the whole world, but lose their own souls.

Edited by zazz54

Ok, once again I got the time to think on this, and came up with a few ideas:

Fist of all: let’s break down the project into smaller, tangible parts. Distribute some tasks and set some deadlines.

Nerve Gear Project

1. Sensory input (ways to invade the nerve system)
    1. Haptic feedback

5 types of skin sensors (heat, cold, pressure, touch, pain)

How to input a signal into a haptic nerve

How to input a signal into a SPECIFIC haptic nerve

Where to access the nerves.

Optional: affecting the corresponding haptic parts of the brain directly. Same questions.

2. Acceleration feedback (our biological G-sensor)

Ways to mechanically affect the inner ear liquid without actually moving the head.

Ways to simulate the nerves coming from the inner ear without the liquid actually moving.

3. Proprioceptive nerve system. Similar to haptic nerve system – ways to invade it and make the brain feel as if our limbs are in a different position than they are.
  2. Control outpur (ways to read the brain)

Try out and figure out the effectiveness and limitations of system like:

1. Emotiv EPOC+
    2. Sulon's Cortex Augmented VR
    3. Other ways to read brain activity. Uninvasive or minimally invasive.
  3. Ways to block motoric signals from reaching musles
    1. Using Pontine Tegmentum (how to deliver it to the corresponding part of the brain?).
  1. Non-chemical activation of brain region normally activated by Pontine Tegmentum.

Ok. Next steps (as I see it – all criticism including rotten tomatoes welcome): volunteers among us take on parts of this research, do the preliminary, and in say 1 week compile a very brief and condensed (half a page) report on each of the items outlined above. Make it as good as you would present to your boss / an official peer review.

Then we can iterate, make decisions on which branches seem more promising, and go into deeper research on those.

Also, before we have a website – out of the existing methods of communication and exchanging ideas, files, and any data in general on a persistent and structured platform - I believe vk.com could be a nice starting point, so I just now made a group there, so you can register and try it out:

http://vk.com/club85135671

Registering in VK is the least of the troubles one might have to go through to become part of the team. Of course I look forward to having a dedicated website of our own. Once again, you are welcome to contact me through email ([email protected]).

It's very interesting finding someone from Russia supporting this project, specially with a knowledge of English on your level, the points you brought out are very accurate and correct imo :). 

This one goes out to all the haters: 

If you look at any field that ever existed in ever, who are the top people? People in it for the money? Nah, it is the people with the passion for the subject, and that is their drive. They have those dreams like I and everyone in here does. They want to make something that can *blank* and they set out to do it. If we want to make a NerveGear, than let's ****ing do it. There will be a time for people to try and point out every flaw that exists, because that will help when it comes to getting towards our goal. We will need that later, but for right now, we should focus on getting into these groups that we want to be in, and lay out some basics before the website pulls up. 

You can't define the Human Population as something because once you say that People are evil and greedy, a TON of people will be like "YEAH YOU ARE RIGHT! But I'm not greedy, so I hope I'm not apart of that number." and you will notice that the 80-20 rule makes another reappearance. You spend 80 percent of the time dealing with 20 percent of the people. As long as we keep our focus on making what we want, and not focus on how to get the most money out of it, we will be golden. As long as the groups make it safe, really efficient, and super awesome, the money will be there. The medical field would kill for this for surgeries and long-term medical effects, like the original intention of NG was. Google maps street view, or google maps in general would be awesome for VR. Touring famous sites that you wouldn't be able to see without VR. Real estate house touring without leaving your home and being able to go to 10 homes in an hour. There are tons of things that will spawn. It's like when companies hand Dev's their open source projects and people go to town. Of course, ours would just be the NerveGear headset or whatever we decide it will be and it wouldn't be open source like the example given. 

The markets are there, and as long as we make it the right way, it will be a success. Now, I would like to be incharge of the group that focuses on the Human part of this project. Like the Ethics behind NG and safety, along with some ingame restrictions like things I talked about in my last post. "Taking a break?" mechanics and such. The human factors like appeal, and how people will take the NG, that is what I would like to focus on, but in order to really give a great opinion in that group, I would really need to be apart of all the groups, or atleast be able to read what they post and take it all in so I can do a better job at my part. 

This is a short post because I have to leave, so if anyone wants me to elaborate on anything, please let me know!

Edited by KiriyagaKazuto

Or - get funding from some business investor (read: "a middle-aged rich man or women that we would be able to impress strong enough that they give us money... Approximately a few million dollars.")

I applaud enthusiasm. I woud point out that the money required is measured, not in millions, not in hundreds of millions, but very likely in billions. While you need to start somewhere, don't lose sight of what it will ultimately take.

This one goes out to all the haters:

Do you think the best way of encouraging support is to characterise anyone who expresses a doubt as being a hater. (Here's a hint: it isn't.)

The markets are there, and as long as we make it the right way, it will be a success. Now, I would like to be incharge of the group that focuses on the Human part of this project. Like the Ethics behind NG and safety, along with some ingame restrictions like things I talked about in my last post. "Taking a break?" mechanics and such. The human factors like appeal, and how people will take the NG, that is what I would like to focus on, but in order to really give a great opinion in that group, I would really need to be apart of all the groups, or atleast be able to read what they post and take it all in so I can do a better job at my part. 

This is a short post because I have to leave, so if anyone wants me to elaborate on anything, please let me know!

Great idea. I'd love to help out with that part. I'd been thinking over the last couple of days on how i could help with this project. and not just post about how enthused i am. @KiriyagaKazuto I'd be more than happy to work with you in this team and work out any kinks, gather any information and just general feedback of what kind of social effect this system would have. 

I'm going to take a look at the other site a user posted while the offical site is being created. we could possibly put information and findings together on that page before it transferred to the new site. 

I'm in love with the conversation and look forward to the progress being made here. I am contactable by email [email protected]

Hello everyone here, I am Tbird. You may or may not have seen my post earlier about wanting to help out. I am willing to help out in any way i can. I am sixteen, a year away from graduating. And i was interested in neurology since i was a little one. I always found it fascinating. I want to help in any way shape or form that i can. Let me know on this website or at my email. [email protected]

Hey everyone, my name is Chad. I have been following this forum very closely, and am beyond excited with the direction that it is going. Seeing SAO and the virtual world come to life is my dream, and I'll do everything I can to help out. I'm 17 and will being graduating high school soon. Though I am not currently an expert on any of various topics that will come into play, I plan to attend collage for the specific purpose of learning how I can help. I'm extremely encouraged by the excitement and dedication I've seen from others my age. Due to the nature of this project, and it's long timeframe, I see us playing a huge role in the future. I've been looking at majoring in computer engineering, with a minor in neuroscience. If anyone can think of a more useful coarse of education, I am open to suggestions! Please email me with anything you may need help with, or with any advice at [email protected].

Thanks everyone, I look forward to working with you all in the future!

My name is Jonah and  I have been following this article for about 2 weeks because I really like the SAO show and my curiosity took me to the internet. I have not studied Neurology but I love Biology; and Neurology is a specific subject inside of Biology, so I am learning it well. Please send me anything ([email protected]) that will help me learn some Neurology. I am only 12 years old but I want to jump in on this and become part of it. I am very excited guys, #onthiswebsiteeveryday.  :roll:  :help: Heh, these emoticons are cool... Also, sorry I'm not writing long paragraphs, I am only 12 years old...

Hello everyone i am very interested with this forum. i am also interested in helping make the nerve gear a reality. i turn 19 next month and would love to be of any assistance. email me at [email protected]  if there is a certain area of study yous would need me to focus on i would love to and will report any findings i have here. :D