Science Forums

Getting Kids Into Schools In The Third World.

BrettNortje

In the third world people need to get into schools, and places are limited. the best way to get everyone into schools is to run three 'shifts,' where teacher's numbers are tripled. this would mean that there would be triple the salaries, but triple the school fees, so, if the school was making money, it will be making more, yes?

What sort of hours do you work?

So, they get up at sunrise, eat a meagre breakfast, walk seven miles to school, put in a full school day, walk seven miles home, work in their families field for a further six hours. Sounds like a great plan.

Do you have a better realistic plan? let me punch holes in your for a change?

I don't have a plan. I haven't done the detailed research that would be necessary to come up with even the faint glimmering of plan. I don't address serious issues by spewing out ill considered proposals.

As I have said before I admire and applaud your enthusiasm. I respect your desire to make things better for people who are disadvantaged.  But ill thought out proposals, that seem to be no more than spur of the moment ideas, are not the way to achieve this. Feel free to try to punch holes in that approach.

Or see it this way: what is the point of an education if you are too tired to grasp any concept?

Okay, a little school and a little work? how does that sound? how about, school for four days a week, work for three?

All that is expected of the typical person is that they can read, write and count. these are the skills typical to anyone who wants a job, a typical job, of course. the wealthy people will be the ones able to afford to send their kids to college, yes? naturally ironing itself out.

Your suggestion of limited schooling - that some schooling is better than know schooling - seems plausible. You have arrived at that suggestion, apparently, through appreciating the difficulties your intial proposal created. Now, a question for you. The objections I made to your original proposal were - to me at least - quite straightforward and obvious. Why did you not think of these objections yourself and thereby come up with your improved proposal at the outset? I recommend you reflect on that and consider thinking of objections to all your proposals in all threads before you make them. That will work out so much better for us all.

Back to the discussion. What is a typical person? You make claims as to what a typical person should be able to do. You seem to be basing this on a typical person in the West. What does a typical person in a rural farming community in East Africa need to know? Or a typical person in the crowded slums within Jakarta?

And then a question on a statement: how can wealthy people sending their children for a more expensive and presumably better education possibly "iron things out"? It would appear to be perpetuating the advantages of wealth.