Science Forums

I Need Some Help With My Computer Please.

What browser are you using? Have you tried a different one? What version of Windows are you using? With the exception of Internet Explorer, you should be able to completely delete and reinstall what ever browser you are using. Firefox has a lot of preventative features now to disable any plug-ins that might be causing you problems.

False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil, :phones:

Buffy

I use chrome and I am running windows xp, I got rid of the ad ware but either it or me seems to have damaged some of the soft ware in the process... 

The fact that you're running Windows XP indicates your system is old enough that it's going to have geriatric problems like disks going bad and dust-related shorts (have you cleaned it recently?) as well as the likelihood that you're going to run into problems with more modern viruses that Microsoft is no longer providing patches for on XP. 

That last one is reason enough to go hit the change jar and get yourself a new PC. I just got rid of the last XP laptop I had precisely because we don't have to support XP anymore, and we only supported it because we had a few (large corporate!) stragglers who still used it. It hadn't been booted for 2 years, which is about half the average lifespan for a *new* computer these days.

Just say no to XP.

I encourage people to remember that “no” is a complete sentence, :phones:

Buffy

The fact that you're running Windows XP indicates your system is old enough that it's going to have geriatric problems like disks going bad and dust-related shorts (have you cleaned it recently?) as well as the likelihood that you're going to run into problems with more modern viruses that Microsoft is no longer providing patches for on XP. 

That last one is reason enough to go hit the change jar and get yourself a new PC. I just got rid of the last XP laptop I had precisely because we don't have to support XP anymore, and we only supported it because we had a few (large corporate!) stragglers who still used it. It hadn't been booted for 2 years, which is about half the average lifespan for a *new* computer these days.

Just say no to XP.

I encourage people to remember that “no” is a complete sentence, :phones:

Buffy

You are no doubt correct, all my computer stuff is gleaned from trash bins and throwaways people are getting rid of. I have been thinking of building my own computer a bit at a time..