Science Forums

I Need Some Help With My Computer Please.

It looks like the error is caused by malware. Have you loaded any new programs lately?

If so just use System Restore and restore to the point before you loaded the software, hopefully a restore point was made by the software prior to installation.

I tried that, it will not let me use system restore or open the search box or download up grades... 

A lot of malware tries to block various mechanisms for cleaning them up, especially by blocking the browser. If you don't have a disk with Norton or other anti-virus that comes with bootable disks, the next best step (after running out and buying one of those) is to burn a disk on a different computer with the software Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org). It is by far the best free thing out there for rooting out problems like these.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image, :phones:

Buffy

A lot of malware tries to block various mechanisms for cleaning them up, especially by blocking the browser. If you don't have a disk with Norton or other anti-virus that comes with bootable disks, the next best step (after running out and buying one of those) is to burn a disk on a different computer with the software Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org). It is by far the best free thing out there for rooting out problems like these.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image, :phones:

Buffy

Sadly my cd player recorder has died as well.. Looks like i am well and truely screwed

Cut the power (if a desktop), or pull the battery (if a laptap) as the machine powers up. Then restart and you should get the option to do a system restore.

I tried it twice but it didn't work.

I keep getting this message:

ccApp: ccApp.exe

This application has failed ATL71.DLL was not found

RE-installing this application may fix this problem

Well, ccApp.exe is actually a part of Norton Anti-Virus, which you apparently installed at one point or another. If you have the install disk for it and an updated account with them, then you should re-install it. Otherwise you should go to Start Button -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features, find Norton in the list and then Uninstall it. You should then go to this page on the Norton site:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

and follow the instructions to clean every last bit of Norton off your system.

You should then go ahead and purchase the Malwarebytes premium license or get some other anti-virus software and install it. 

I personally recommend Norton after years of telling people to avoid it. It's actually pretty good these days. Just avoid McAfee like the plague. It is the plague.

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day, :phones:

Buffy

Well, ccApp.exe is actually a part of Norton Anti-Virus, which you apparently installed at one point or another. If you have the install disk for it and an updated account with them, then you should re-install it. Otherwise you should go to Start Button -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features, find Norton in the list and then Uninstall it. You should then go to this page on the Norton site:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

and follow the instructions to clean every last bit of Norton off your system.

You should then go ahead and purchase the Malwarebytes premium license or get some other anti-virus software and install it. 

I personally recommend Norton after years of telling people to avoid it. It's actually pretty good these days. Just avoid McAfee like the plague. It is the plague.

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day, :phones:

Buffy

I did purchase malwarebytes so i am halfway there! Thanks for the info. 

I managed to get rid of the error messages but it still won't let me use restore... 

Can you more completely define "won't let me use"?

It may be the case that there simply isn't a restore point that the system can find. What you want to do is get your system stable and then create a restore point that you can go back to in the future (and then create a new one each time you install new software).

If the error messages have stopped since you uninstalled Norton (assuming that's what you did), what other symptoms do you have?

An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions, :phones:

Buffy

Can you more completely define "won't let me use"?

It may be the case that there simply isn't a restore point that the system can find. What you want to do is get your system stable and then create a restore point that you can go back to in the future (and then create a new one each time you install new software).

If the error messages have stopped since you uninstalled Norton (assuming that's what you did), what other symptoms do you have?

An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions, :phones:

Buffy

The computer tells me to reboot to use the restore function, I have rebooted several times to no avail. What started all this was the disappearance of a few hundred pictures it took me years to collect, then all my wp files, I was able to get the wp files back, everything I had ever written was on those files and I am getting some interest from publishers and animators to do my stories. I would have been heart sick if i had lost all my writings... 

So when you boot the computer, the first thing you see is a message that says "reboot to use the restore function" without even asking to restore?

If you *are* asking it to restore, What other symptoms are you experiencing now (assuming you're trying to fix those by restoring)? If you've got no symptoms, there's no reason to restore (and restore can cause problems of it's own, because it will basically de-install anything you added to your computer since that restore point was created).

You said earlier that malwarebytes ran but did not find anything: can you verify that it's using it's latest virus database? If it is the latest db and it's not finding anything, I'd actually assume that you don't have a virus at this point and your data loss is primarily an indicator that your disk drive is dying, in which case I'd focus on getting all of the files on there backed up somewhere ASAP.

There is no safety in numbers, or in anything else, :phones:

Buffy

So when you boot the computer, the first thing you see is a message that says "reboot to use the restore function" without even asking to restore?

If you *are* asking it to restore, What other symptoms are you experiencing now (assuming you're trying to fix those by restoring)? If you've got no symptoms, there's no reason to restore (and restore can cause problems of it's own, because it will basically de-install anything you added to your computer since that restore point was created).

You said earlier that malwarebytes ran but did not find anything: can you verify that it's using it's latest virus database? If it is the latest db and it's not finding anything, I'd actually assume that you don't have a virus at this point and your data loss is primarily an indicator that your disk drive is dying, in which case I'd focus on getting all of the files on there backed up somewhere ASAP.

There is no safety in numbers, or in anything else, :phones:

Buffy

When I ask to restore it tells me to reboot to use that function it says

System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run system restore again. 

My malwarebytes is new and says it is updated with the latest version. 

All this crap started when i tried to get rid of some ad ware that was driving me nuts.

I still can't connect to many sites that are HPPS: because it says those sites are not issuing the correct signal or something similar. 

And I can't open my search screen from my star tap either. 

What browser are you using? Have you tried a different one? What version of Windows are you using? With the exception of Internet Explorer, you should be able to completely delete and reinstall what ever browser you are using. Firefox has a lot of preventative features now to disable any plug-ins that might be causing you problems.

False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil, :phones:

Buffy