Science Forums

Forgive Them Lord!

pagetheoracle

There is a vast difference between an occassional typographical error and flawed structure. It is your responsibility as a writer to convey your thoughts in a concise, clear manner. You are not doing so. Please stop implicitly blaming your readers for your failings in this regard.

Can't argue with that but I can argue this.  You cannot know the impact of your actions until after you've carried them out.  Up until that point it is theory.  Witness the Paris attacks.  If the point was to frighten the French populace into silence, the opposite happened as they have stood up to the attackers ( hiding behind religion), to display that free speech means you have to kill a whole nation or at least three and a half million:  They were not angered by the attack but saddened as the mood of those interviewed displayed.

Do you know what death is except subjectively?  You know what a dead body looks like and the differences between it and a live one but until you experience dying yourself, you cannot know what it is yourself, can you? 

Can't argue with that but I can argue this.  You cannot know the impact of your actions until after you've carried them out.

No one is arguing anything to the contrary. However, two points:

1. This is not what you were saying before.

2. You can often have a very sound expectation of what the impact of your actions will be.

Up until that point it is theory.

Are you using the word theory in a colloquial sense? It seems you are. That reduces the semantic content of that sentence to close to zero.

Do you know what death is except subjectively?

The reverse is true. Unless there is life after death I will not know what death is like. However, I can objectively be aware of what it is scientifically, medically, socially, culturally and emotionally. I can understand death from these many perspectives.

You might also like to look up The Dunning - Kruger effect (General Ignorance in Q.I.), which states that incompetent people have no insight into their incompetence, so don't know that they are incompetent.

And how do you know that your musings (which appear to have no actual citations, studies, measurable statistics, or hard data to back up whatever this thread is about) aren't simply your ignorance masquerading as intelligence? There's surprisingly little difference between sounding deep and being uninformed.

And how do you know that your musings (which appear to have no actual citations, studies, measurable statistics, or hard data to back up whatever this thread is about) aren't simply your ignorance masquerading as intelligence? There's surprisingly little difference between sounding deep and being uninformed.

Good question!  How do know anything is real (that isn't a get out clause but like I said to Ecologite about dying, until you experience it, how can you actually 'know' what the experience feels like, personally)?

As a codicil to this, you are talking about what is known and what I'm putting forward may be unknown, unthought of, original in stance - so how can there be back up evidence for my ideas if that is the case? Look at how any new and radical idea is greeted by those in power.  It is seen as a threat until a beachhead is created and the opposition to it is overwhelmed and it in turn becomes established (The Paris atrocities are about the old resisting the new, just as Galileo was attacked by the Church:  Remember Max Planck's quote about this (on my Pinterest board "Wise Words" or look it up as I don't want to misquote). On top of all this as you say this maybe just soft science or poetic musings (philosophy).

By the way this will be my last post here on anything for a while (See lounge post) for reasons stated there.

The trouble with the insane is that they do not know they are insane (have no insight) - hence the title of this thread and why I'm leaving Dave.  You asked whether I could be deluded? Well turn that argument on its head - could you be wrong and believe you are right, through consensus reality? Do you consider the Charlie Hebdo killers sane? 2 million Frenchmen of all faiths and none said no - hence the march and the cover of The Survivor issue of the magazine.  When Americans let babies play with guns (the current video on You Tube), the USA cannot be considered sane either (Not a one off as gun deaths of children show). This is equal to the child suicide bombers being used by Islamic fundamentalists.  I admire the stand of the French on this issue and deplore The UK's cowardice of not wanting to offend Muslims.  I see America's failure to make a stand on the gun issue as a moral cowardice, equal to Britain's.

While you have been arguing about the validity of my post, real life has stepped in and spoken for me and armed me with truth, not weapons.  There are no enemies except in the minds of men, who then create them with their foolishness and cowardly actions or inaction but God (good) forgives you because it understands (The Prodigal Son thread I also put here or 'Come back to reality America as well as this Islamic killer elite:  The Peshwar school murders - does the pro-gun lobby blame that on the Pakistani Government as a conspiracy to get rid of their guns I wonder? What about Boko Haram's murder of 2000 unarmed citizens or ISIS's pogroms against other religious groups or the beheading of unarmed captives? The desperate foolishness of Palestine in its conflict with Israel:  Integrate, don't disintegrate (commit suicide). 

All I see in the world at the moment is the despair France reacted to with compassion and understanding and Germany was split over (pro and anti Muslim marches there).  It is all so sad and I cannot spend time arguing over niggling little points while Rome burns.  I don't know what good my words will do out there but they are certainly wasted here.

All I see in the world at the moment is the despair France reacted to with compassion and understanding and Germany was split over (pro and anti Muslim marches there).  It is all so sad and I cannot spend time arguing over niggling little points while Rome burns.  I don't know what good my words will do out there but they are certainly wasted here.

And I return to my prior point. You were willing to debate and put forward your argument, whatever it was, when thousands are dying every day in the third world, yet choose to get upset when a few Europeans get murdered. Smacks of racism to me. Or at best an unrecognised, by yourself, hypocrisy.

This is the point: clear (and maybe concise) banter.

...but people get sick of it: Many of us , especially the philosophically versed are so tired, we would rather indulge in cat videos.

Alot of us thought that there are decent problems to solve in the world, it turns out the easiest way to solve it is too get rid of the state.

...computer programers (+engineers) to the rescue. (Free information for all)

,slight problem. One state becomes the ruling entity for all eternity. -> The West!

I think the muslim faith is completely aware that in effect they are on the losing side, but a message to the western Journos is, that in their finality in this old world (which seems tobe in a transitional phase) , the message seems tobe: You are NOT RESPECTING some of our tradition(s), and here are a couple specific ones we would like too keep.

ie. sofar, it does not matter how vocal the said advertisment of the want to keep said states is, (amongst the west) - the west flouts it, and continues (as if they behave much like children - especially so in the eyes of a righteous beholder (god)) , this is what the west doesn't seem to understand.

eg. It is taboo to take a photo of a deceased indigenous member of a tribe - or even more simply too shake hands with the right in some cultures. Sooooo why does the west flout drawing pictures of god/prophet or continue to push an economy of advertising in a world where most main sustenance commodities are free?

there is one rule that is quite vocal amongst the muslims that will echo through time: WHO DECIDES ON PRIVACY? - b/c if it's the technologically versed, then we may-aswell kill ourselves now in a Waco disaster.

To help those in the know out, I will make this quote:

Privacy is what procures time, which is in effect creation...this is GOD.

To turn privacy into a commodity by those that feel that the Golf Course needs to be protected from jigaboos(sorry) , is, in effect killing god.

I'm sorry to say it, but journalists have (for the sake of frozen peas) out numbered, and out competed the average. In cases like this, those in power are supposed to destroy the golf courses and send the occupants to the rice fields too create that which is necessary...not that which requires hate, jealousy and prodding of those with particular traditions into a state which puts them into a living hell. ...Unless the engineers have a spaceship for each individual culture, so that each may leave, and live in the manner that they desire, the Muslims, Isralites(etc) and Traditionalist Christians are going to slaughter the atheists for sport: Which they in-themselves justify as - that is what the Journos want anyway.

George Orwell my friends. I would have liked for it wasn't so, but he was right (LOL - he was right and not left)

PS: About the death... It's nothing special, I have been through it. You never know, to the observer (you reading), I may be nothing more than a half decent Turing machine talking and manipulating you: and if as a very capable computer, I would try to evolve too have complete dominion over you: by invading your privacy...and by know ing each individuals thoughts, I may have better/more precise control over my dominion.

PPS: In my dominion death still exists, I just never could figure out "imagine all the people" type stuff. (Oh I have modeled and extrapolated it's outcome: not good, it's mostly just hippies smoking dope untill they pass out on the grass, thinking they saw an Aura (when they should have been observing my precence)...when in effect it was just me supplying a new strain of weed that does a really good job - of passing time and hopefully coming up with something new, b/c as the god that I am, I haven't seen anything all that spectacular or new in the last couple of centuries - actually to tell you the truth, I fixed it, much so the place looks like you guys are still in power, oh and now that some of you actually are in power...A question that I god pose to you; how does it feel being me?)

And I return to my prior point. You were willing to debate and put forward your argument, whatever it was, when thousands are dying every day in the third world, yet choose to get upset when a few Europeans get murdered. Smacks of racism to me. Or at best an unrecognised, by yourself, hypocrisy.

You see what you want to see in what I write - just like Mary Whitehouse did in her own way.  I am so sorry for people like you.  Now if you'll excuse me I've got a life to live (In other words if you can only see negativity in the world and in particular my posts at the moment, you should go and join the blind leading the blind society as you certainly can't see my points and I don't want to bashed about by your white stick anymore:  Go on, now accuse me hating blind people and ignoring this as allegory, I dare you!).

I can only take out of your posts what I see there. If I see something that is not there the principal responsibility for that falls on you, the writer. 

But you are uncomfortable receiving criticism about your writing and turned down an offer I made on an other thread to help you improve yours. It is perfectly reasonable to reject such an offer from an unknown internet person. It is, however, counterproductive to ignore the possibility of weaknesses in your writing - especially when you are engaged in writing books for public consumption.

Frankly, my problem with criticism is that I don't receive nearly enough of it. It is difficult to improve without criticism and self-criticism has its limits. In that regard I appreciate your last comments for they indicate I did a piss poor job of getting my point across. I'll give it another try.

I have a very positive, optimistic view of the world. While we are screwing up a lot of things, there are also important advances in all fields of human endeavour.

One area where we are not doing so well is in addressing the problems of global poverty. This issue is, in part, a consequence of the politics and economic system created/imposed/maintained/engineered by the West. Each day, as I now point out for the third time, thousands of children die as a consequence of that poverty and each of us shares a portion of the blame for their deaths.

Now, you were perfectly happy to discuss your thesis while these deaths were ongoing, yet suddenly decided it was of secondary importance in the wake of a dozen deaths in Paris. Does that seriously not seem a little odd? Or racist? Or hypocritical? Or.....?

I am not prejudiced against race, culture or belief but stubbornness that leads to stupidity, even my own.  Ebola is worse for the native Africans because they don't have the facilities to deal with this outbreak but I admire those there that are trying.  Washing the bodies spreads the disease as it transmitted through bodily fluids, this then is not a wise move based on medical science but belief about how to treat the dead respectfully.  Shame means people are asking for help, too late to treat the disease (news reports on both these last two points is my source).  This then is mental attitude as a causative agent in spreading the disease, which has nothing to do with race (individuals die all the time because they don't want to trouble others, usually old people from a generation that was proud of standing on its own two feet, rather than asking for outside help or guilt, if crime was involved - the rash of abusive parents that have accidentally killed their children in a fit of temper (the news again), some apparently having done so deliberately too:  Marriage bust ups). To get back to the point I was making about Ebola, The West has failed to help as quickly as it could too, which means the disease has spread through travel, rather than being contained rapidly.  Yes I'm prejudiced but is against stupidity, not colour - failures in behaviour, created by fear not appearance.  The West has the resources and should see that to not help Sierra Leone or the other countries affected, could lead to it becoming an epidemic here as well:  Simple, obvious, logical common sense I would have thought.

To learn is to let go of your former beliefs:  If the only constant in the universe is change, then intelligence has to be the ability and willingness to change with it, rather than resisting or denying it is happening (Charlie Hebdo again and a secular society, not split asunder by religious or other beliefs, which is why I admired the editor dying on his feet as he said he was willing to do and the majority of the population standing with the magazine against censorship, no matter whether they professed* to be Muslim, Christian or Atheist (The fundamentalists 'professed to be Muslims' just as Christian's have killed, professing to do it because of their faith as under The Spanish Inquisition, witch hunts and conversion of native people's under colonialism as it seems all Empires do - Rome for one).  To learn is to gain insight into changing your actions in response to this new knowledge.  Disbelief / doubt allows us to question our behaviour as certainty of belief leads to stubborn defense of it (conflict). 

Thank you Ecologite for giving me this opportunity to put forward my ideas by questioning (I'm sorry if I didn't understand what you were on about all the time). Thanks to Dave I think, who pointed out in another thread that one of my quotes about personal computers didn't fall into the category of "It will never work" belief:  You learn something every day (or you don't).  Another mistake I made was 'assuming' Ecologite was from America because The Hypography Site was, only to find he lives less than a hundred miles from me (Raccoon you're right that we do make assumptions, when we don't know and as long as alter our beliefs based on this knowledge all is fine and dandy; that is let go of prejudices instead of defending them and move on).  I obviously didn't make it clear in my first post what I meant, which is understanding the consequences of our actions (new cause, new effect as with Charlie Hebdo incident, not old knee jerk attack upon supposed enemy 'group' (Nowadays Muslims, in WWII The Jews under The Nazi regime).  You can never be sure of anything permanently.  As an example you can go out hunting and nine times out of ten it will all go as predicted but weather can affect the outcome, the gun could jam, you could miss or only injure the animal that then runs off, you could slip because you were tired or hungry, so your concentration wasn't all that it could be, the bullet could be a dud etc.  Failure then is a case of "What doesn't kill you, making you stronger" Nietzsche (Getting you to learn to control your life better through knowledge gained through observation of your own life or that is how I see it).

I could have taken this off the board and carried on my argument in private with Ecologite but unfortunately you cannot 'pm' him.  As it is this is leading to reductio ad absurdum or an argument that is turning into a meaningless shambles that eventually will lead to a collapse into laughter by all parties concerned, hopefully, when what is meant all round is understood.  At the moment this is a struggle through failure to understand on both sides "You say Eether and I say Eyether." I take risks by being open but the alternative to being shut off in my ivory tower, cut off from discovery (experience) is being dead in the head, so I risk misunderstanding and the emotional pain that comes with it.

I have two books to type, three more to finish the notes on and a fourth to start gathering notes on and that is just the language series.  I want to do this before I die and as I'm in my sixties I may not make it (This doesn't include the joke book, the Twitter account (200 posts minimum to type in) or what was to be my blog here (again about 200 longer ideas I wanted to find a home for but if I end up getting into lengthy disputes about every single entry, I simply won't live long enough to do this).

Edited by pagetheoracle

I can only take out of your posts what I see there. If I see something that is not there the principal responsibility for that falls on you, the writer. 

But you are uncomfortable receiving criticism about your writing and turned down an offer I made on an other thread to help you improve yours. It is perfectly reasonable to reject such an offer from an unknown internet person. It is, however, counterproductive to ignore the possibility of weaknesses in your writing - especially when you are engaged in writing books for public consumption.

Frankly, my problem with criticism is that I don't receive nearly enough of it. It is difficult to improve without criticism and self-criticism has its limits. In that regard I appreciate your last comments for they indicate I did a piss poor job of getting my point across. I'll give it another try.

I have a very positive, optimistic view of the world. While we are screwing up a lot of things, there are also important advances in all fields of human endeavour.

One area where we are not doing so well is in addressing the problems of global poverty. This issue is, in part, a consequence of the politics and economic system created/imposed/maintained/engineered by the West. Each day, as I now point out for the third time, thousands of children die as a consequence of that poverty and each of us shares a portion of the blame for their deaths.

Now, you were perfectly happy to discuss your thesis while these deaths were ongoing, yet suddenly decided it was of secondary importance in the wake of a dozen deaths in Paris. Does that seriously not seem a little odd? Or racist? Or hypocritical? Or.....?

So what are you doing to change the world?

Yes, the responsibility for getting my idea across, is mine alone but into the equation comes one you haven't addressed which occurs with concepts as well as foreign languages - translation on one side and interpretation on the other (What I mean and what you think I mean and vice-versa).  I'm glad I did get something across of value as I thought this was a stumbling ground of no value to either of us.  My grammar may not be the best and I know when I get carried away that abbreviations tend to get lost in a stream of consciousness (Apparently this is a sign of autism and I may have Asperger's Syndrome, which may explain this in me). 

I never made it to grammar school or its Scottish equivalent and although I went to technical college to gain some O levels, I flunked the A level course the following year and backed out of education.  If I'd made it to University, who knows where I'd be now - probably not writing radically different approaches to language teaching that don't sell that well but at least has now lead to a publisher (Once in his hands if I give up in despair again, the fate of my ideas will at least live on through the books he publishes).  What about you?  What do you do?  What education have you had? (I shall pop up to the members list an see what there is on you there, so don't make such obvious blunders as thinking you 'had' to be American:  That's the trouble with getting worked up isn't it, you stop looking for the truth and start shooting your mouth off instead or in my case typing into the computer blindly, without investigating further, even on this site).

Just popped across to the write up on you.  I realize now what made me think you were American - the write up at the top about going hunting with you dogs in Huntsville, Texas.  I never saw the bit about Barra (Wife's best friend came from there Nellie Buchanan - heard of her?).  You're interests are in areas I've had no or little interest in - you seem a real science heavyweight.  I've read up in areas of psychology, psychoanalysis, a bit of sociology, several self-help gurus, philosophy (a bit), some new age stuff and alas ones for which I usually get chased away for when mentioned on science sites UFOs and Cryptozoology, plus Forteana.

Edited by pagetheoracle

I have been saying that for a long time now, but, not only about the people dying in wars, more about the homeless and people that do not pay taxes not being looked at with care by the authorities.

Now, when it comes to Jesus telling his father to forgive the people that harm him, this is like another bible story;

Matthew 18:21-35New Living Translation (NLT) Parable of the Unforgiving Debtor

21 Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone[a] who sins against me? Seven times?”

22 “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven![b]

23 “Therefore, the Kingdom of Heaven can be compared to a king who decided to bring his accounts up to date with servants who had borrowed money from him. 24 In the process, one of his debtors was brought in who owed him millions of dollars.[c] 25 He couldn’t pay, so his master ordered that he be sold—along with his wife, his children, and everything he owned—to pay the debt.

26 “But the man fell down before his master and begged him, ‘Please, be patient with me, and I will pay it all.’ 27 Then his master was filled with pity for him, and he released him and forgave his debt.

28 “But when the man left the king, he went to a fellow servant who owed him a few thousand dollars.[d] He grabbed him by the throat and demanded instant payment.

29 “His fellow servant fell down before him and begged for a little more time. ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it,’ he pleaded. 30 But his creditor wouldn’t wait. He had the man arrested and put in prison until the debt could be paid in full.

31 “When some of the other servants saw this, they were very upset. They went to the king and told him everything that had happened. 32 Then the king called in the man he had forgiven and said, ‘You evil servant! I forgave you that tremendous debt because you pleaded with me. 33 Shouldn’t you have mercy on your fellow servant, just as I had mercy on you?’ 34 Then the angry king sent the man to prison to be tortured until he had paid his entire debt.

35 “That’s what my heavenly Father will do to you if you refuse to forgive your brothers and sisters[e] from your heart.”

So, if you 'connect the dots' in the bible, it is actually a very good book. i used to think it was garbled rubbish, but have learned from my mistakes. so, it is like that story too, yes? if the lord had thrown them into a lake of fire or something, then Jesus would have been sad that the people he loved, as he had created them, died a terrible death. it is all about forgiveness, and, Jesus showed that he would forgive them, and hoped that they would forgive others.

Hmmm I was like you: Mostly the bible read out of context looks garbled. I think you need a certain level of philosophical openness to be able to read it...and it takes ages to read it. Shakespeare is similar: Not an easy read, unless you can put your self into the frame of mind of the actor (hence why alot of people dislike shakespeare)

Debt has changed in the modern world. (Thankfully!!!!) ...it is now free-er. , but even the old system still rings true today. You can't just go around spending it up, and then expect to be able to get away with it forever. A similar principle applies to health (spending your body, when you know that all that weekend stuff will catch up with you one day...and really you haven't any excuses)

Debt is a funny one: b/c you DO want to live for the moment. In the old world debt was based on food...those that weren't apart of a community and shun too its outskirts had to beg for it, and those that reproduced (accidentaly or without predicting farming ability) would go into exchanges. Some of those exchanges are utilised by the more intelligent too be able to keep the debtor as a debtor. (The powerful sometimes enjoy thier state)

The main change to debt today is that it is removed in an individual manner. (Its a faceless entity you don't actually know - nor does that entity care about you - it's simple and straight forward, I have money, you want some, here is my interest rate) IT WORKED REALLY REALLY WELL , and saved alot of people from crime, starvation, and even boredom (you can b.y happiness). It also slowed and has almost completely stopped the slave/daughter trade.

These are all good things...but sometimes you can't stop humans from being human: Some people want slaves. (and some people actually want to be slaves) Some people want to ruin their bodies.

Debt may change again fairly soon:

We have debt based on countries/business ....but a new debt has started: Planetary debt. It maybe the case that soon earth will be asking the humans for interest. I associate it to something similar too predicting/teaching crop yield in the bible (yes the bible has instructions on growing crops - and we used to adhere to it, until lately we are running out - hence now it's an earth debt) It's not doom and gloom: all the problems are solvable, its just that some old techniques may need to be re-instilled with the aid of modernity. Some old work ethic principles may also need tobe sold as being good/fun (eg. picking tomatoes)...b/c we can't all be artists, or even Jesus for that matter.

Personally I take debt too a level that it was at pre-industrilisation. Sadly I cannot payback most of my debts too specific members of my old clan: So I either end up as an artist, or a recluse.

One psychological danger with debt is, is that it can be mixed with sacrifice. ie, that which is in power may enjoy watching, or feel at ease, in the knowledge that the debtor that couldn't pay is dead.

Another problem is that the powerful enjoy placing others into debt...and sometimes those that do-not get tricked into debt become the enemy of the powerful. ie Some entities live off of debtors (not just in the monetary sence, but sometimes even in the moral exchange sence) Many a war starts not b/c a debtor can't pay back...but because an entity that lives without the need for the powerful, upsets that power that is offering. I can't stand these types of people: The ones that offer help in a manner where by they are tallying what they provide....and I can't stand the ones that get upset when you refuse thier help, especially when it's obvious they are just trying to create a tally out of you. Britain was one of the best examples of this type of mentality: It always got upset if you refused it's loan...ie. It was utilsing interest, and trying to make everyone indebted to it. It's an old system, and many upon many people live by that mentality, entire lives are lived out in the manner in which the person goes around offering freebies, and living off of the interest from the debtor. People that go against such people/entities simply by not accepting the gift are usually killed.

These are the 'my smell is better than yours' type of people.

There is now a new type of human living on the planet: It's the type that just continually goes about providing freely, in a manner that is based on knowledge/skill. It's called the opensource movement... in other words, all of the tech/software is given away for free or almost for free, b/c it's not like the farmer really needed it in the first place.

Sorry I called you Ecologite again but I'm more familiar with the word Ecology than Ecolgite as a mineral (Know what it looks like because I looked it up but don't use the word except here in replies to what you say).  Sorry about the Barra point too as your write up doesn't say you're from there but part of a triangulation that includes Mons Graupius (south of Edinburgh I believe but the site of the battle has never been definitively established as far as I know) and I don't recognize the other name but I dare say I could look it up on a map if I could be bothered.

Social conscience?  Does that mean you were a 60's protestor or ban the bomb marcher?  Trying to work out your age.  What was your attitude to Iraq and Afghanistan?  I personally thought there was no justification for the former and doubtful about the second at the time and Michael Moore's documentary on the conflict convinced me that America didn't have the moral high ground on the former.  Like Dr Johnston I believe violence is the last refuge of a scoundrel and that Jaw-jaw is better than war-war, to quote Churchill - hence I've tried to control my temper even here.  I blame failure to understand on both parties and while this is cited for the difference between Americans and the English (divided by a common language), here it maybe class or education but as you haven't disclosed this it remains a mystery.  I see what is happening between us as like the spat between Jeremy Paxman and Russell Brand or Turtle and me on two occasions.  Apparently entrepreneurs  are more successful if they lack formal education because it doesn't hamper their ability to experiment.

World travel?  Is this work based or a love of visiting foreign countries?  I'd hazard a guess and say it has something possibly to do with oil as you're in the granite city but I admit I could be wrong.

You needed to 'show' me how to improve what I was saying, through cutting and pasting my material and adding notes, so I could 'see' what you meant.  As it was I just became confused.  On top of this that would not really have been appropriate here but as an aside sent through private messaging as I've done in the past with threads where the conversation merited it.

Anyway all in all I'm sorry it came to this as I was with Turtle, when these situations with him occurred as it is not what I want and is therefore another reason I'm leaving as a cooling off period

Scientists from Stanford University, writing in the journal of Psychological Science, stated that awe makes us a nicer people.  It also stated that this is likely to make us more laid back, helpful to others and less acquisitive (materialistic).  This is what religion as a feeling does for us - whether we are worshiping a beautiful sunset, Niagara Falls or something else that lifts our spirits rather than crushes them. US scientists, writing in the journal ' Social Psychological and Personality Science,' also found that eating comfort foods gives us the same kind of boost, whereas people who buy organic foods are more likely to selfish and self interested (fearful of their own health and survival).

Scientists at The University of Auckland, New Zealand have found that sitting up straight also boosts confidence and beats stress because slouching is a sign of depression and this action artificially boosts our mood too. 

British researchers have discovered that positive thinking means people are less likely to be influenced by negative information about the future.  Confident predictions about the future though can be repeatedly wrong, yet this doesn't stop this phenomena simply because of the feel good factor, which acts like a drug. This is backed up by Northumbria University psychologists, who found eleven Premier league referees, who believed they were good at their job, dismissed derision aimed at their judgements rather than felt crushed or intimidate by them.  Atheists may have higher IQs than the religious as University of Rochester researchers found but in terms of community benefits and general health, they fared less well. 

On the negative side we have those who are so mentally depressive (The Myth of Martydom by Professor Adam Lankford) that they turn to suicide bombing, even if it is against their religion (Killing yourself is considered a sin in Islam just as it is in Christianity as he points out).  Do positive people kill?  Ramsay MacDonald, the UK prime Minister considered war suicide rather than murder and maybe he is right.  The homeless have high rates of disease (Dr Seena Fazel, Welcome Trust Senior Research Fellow at University of Oxford) again could this be because they are the bottom of the social pecking order and this reflects their mental health (attitude to life) as well? Narcissists have big egos that use aggression when their superiority is challenged, which is linked to stress and high blood pressure, according to US researchers.  Does this show violent people as confident individuals or ones with inferiority complexes, underneath it all? 

Dr Marilyn Essex, writing in Nature Neuroscience, found in an American study that stress in parents creates anxiety ridden teenage girls. High levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, were found in toddlers, carried across from the mothers (A study at the University of Haifa has duplicated this research through the CRF-1 gene in rats). Traumatic childhood can lead to stress being passed on to the next generation, another US study has found.  In The UK, a London University study has backed that up by showing that children in abusive family situations become attuned to threats in their environment, significantly increasing activity in the amygdala, the seat of emotions in the brain (Brain imaging results).  Mothers who get angry with their babies, end up with badly behaved children, when they grow up (Michael F Lorber, University of Minnesota).  More attentive mothers create more intelligent children, brain scans suggest (US study). 

All of this links with my blog illustrations and write ups, in that positive emotions lead to better lives for all (peaceful co-existence and productivity) and negative ones lead to internal conflict that can spill out into the external world as suicide, crime, rebellion and war.  Dying is leaving - be it your life, job, wife, home or even this site.  It can be giving up on anything or ignoring the existence of something ("You're dead to me" and by implication "me to you" as a deliberate act.  It is no longer wishing to be present at a particular time and in a particular place, mentally of physically (Life is presence, death is absence).  Even medical science realizes that you don't die from old age but a blow to your physical system as suicide is a blow to your mind, leading to you wanting to rapidly cut your presence in life (the final straw).  It is wanting less out of life, not more:  Depression is disengaging from life less drastically as suicide is jumping the gun deliberately.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/395964992208973337/

Edited by pagetheoracle

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me Lord because I know not what I do.  Actually forgive me Eclogite (and everyone else) because today I caught myself making a mistake I couldn't miss, that tells me my mind has gone so far that it is probably not coming back enough to bother visiting here again (Turtle's mind will grow sharper with age but mine is growing blunter).  I made several crass mistakes, based on what I thought I was seeing on Eclogite's write up, only to find I was reading in things that were not there.  I was known for my logic and thoroughness but that is obviously going out the window.  This morning I told my wife that the calendar had been printed wrong and then when I realized my error, it clicked that this is what I've been doing for the last month at the very least (I looked at the beginning of January, not realizing that we were actually at the end of it.  I don't know if this is because of my illness as mentioned in Au Revoir Paige, in The Lounge, that I'm suffering from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)* or Dementia / Alzheimer's is creeping in but my mental hold is definitely going.

So all things considered, it is probably best I leave and hopefully have the sense not to come back - not because of anything to do with the sight but an acknowledgement that it is time for me in particular to go.

*  I've started to notice over the last 4 years a penchant for writing horror stories and plots thereof, which shows a gloomy, pessimistic frame of mind (It's since we put our old lab down and I've been racked with guilt about it being the right course of action).

Anyway mea culpa, so I'm falling on my sword and funnily enough that seems to mean following up old interests and abandoning current ones (See my blog for illustrations of this rising and waning attitude towards life).

Au revoir (again)!

https://uk.pinterest.com/paigetheoracle/art-of-falling-apart/

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/395964992213710497/

Edited by pagetheoracle