Science Forums

Sitting In The Shower

ErlyRisa

You're being silly, ErlyRisa, but here are some serious responses:

As people (such as I) who’ve worked in mental hospitals can tell you, shitting in the shower is a bad thing, because showers have small drain pipes covered with grill plates intended to prevent objects from going down them, and low water flow rates compared to flush toilets. If people **** down them, the soon stink horribly, clog, and have to be scrubbed out.

Feel free to experimentally confirm my claim, but don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Anything engine that can be fueled with wood or coal can use dried stools, so there’s no need to design your own.

The main problem I can see with this is that, for typical use, you’d have a fuel shortage. The average person’s output of dried stool is about 41 g/day. Dried stool has an energy density of about 23000 J/g. So you’d have the daily energy budget of about 943000 J. This is equivalent to about 0.029 L of gasoline. This much energy will move an efficient car like a Toyota Prius can about 0.48 km. So, using your own ****, you could make about a round trip to a place about 1.6 km from your starting place once a week.

Sources: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23647171, http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2010/ph240/cash2, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density.

A - Sit on it (Stool Sample)

Confirmation: Already done - 3 years hard core in one bathroom (previous 4years at other location - mixed use, some in toilet some in shower)...hand plunging of stool down drain. Paploma virus first discovered in new bathroom. Bathroom has rugs which are kept wet. Control Person is father (No sign of paploma), Cousins Kids still awaiting Paploma. I have recently spread my feet to two other private bathrooms...I await news.

So far no bacterial changes with me: But father figure has some new bacterial infection after a bout with a leach. (Infection doesn't want to go away), has now spread to balls (he does not sit in the shower)

PS after shitting I sit in it.

Yes: Psych/Hospital/Invalid settings is what I am talking about...I think that alot would be solved if we just let it happen in the shower. (Of course better accomodations for actually doing it in the shower need to be solved - I highly reccomend pattenting some ideas - the population is not getting any younger and it would be nicer if old people didn't have to do two things)

How about a shite charger for an iPod? - not that there is any point the charger is more interesting than the content of most iPods.

How about a centrifuge for sepearting water/shite ---> maybe iran could concentrate on that instead of wasting everyones time with uranium enrichment. ie enrich your own shite - see if ya can blow anything up with that?

The smell -> I use no shampoo or soap, and there is no smell...and this shower is not connected to the grid...the shite makes it's way out to the lawn -->It can smell there on a hot summers day.

Oh , and the Water gets used to water a bed of Roses - they are very lovely and have just come out: - The experiment seems succesful in the fact that everything is smelling like a bunch of roses - and not my shite.

side note: Doggie pooh usually ends up in a bin.

Why not fill your BMW's fuel tank with the stuff - may get an extra bark of intake when you put your foot to the floor.

Edited by ErlyRisa

• 2 weeks later...

PS: all energy is "solar energy" if you trace it back far enough.

Not strictly true. Solar energy I take to be energy derived, ultimately from the sun. Note that: the sun, not just any star. Sol is our sun's name, not the name for stars in general. But the radioactive elements that keep our planet's mantle warm, or provide fuel for nuclear power stations were generated in supernovae, so they are not solar.

Not strictly true. Solar energy I take to be energy derived, ultimately from the sun. Note that: the sun, not just any star. Sol is our sun's name, not the name for stars in general. But the radioactive elements that keep our planet's mantle warm, or provide fuel for nuclear power stations were generated in supernovae, so they are not solar.

Good point - I hadn't thought about radioactivity.

I lived for a few months in a beautiful house with an electric composting toilet way nicer than the ones being sold at that website

It passed through the wall, so you emptied from a hatch outside, not airtight sealing lift-out bucket. It worked somewhat differently, too, transferring waste from its basin to the compost bin via an electric powered hatch, used a little bit of water in its “flush” cycle, and didn’t have a separate catch basin in front for urine. Urine and feces composted together, which seemed to work well. It automatically baked everything once every few days with a big electric heater, making the compost dry and about the same smell as the stuff you buy in plastic bags in garden stores. It didn't user any plastic bags.

I miss that house. In addition to its amazing electric composting toilet, it was built and decorated in the Japanese style, with tatami-style floors, fusuma-style door panels, and a hall around the outside of two walls. A crazy rich (at the time - later impoverished and a fugitive) guy built it and several like it in rural Ohio, USA.

I lived for a few months in a beautiful house with an electric composting toilet way nicer than the ones being sold at that website

It passed through the wall, so you emptied from a hatch outside, not airtight sealing lift-out bucket. It worked somewhat differently, too, transferring waste from its basin to the compost bin via an electric powered hatch, used a little bit of water in its “flush” cycle, and didn’t have a separate catch basin in front for urine. Urine and feces composted together, which seemed to work well. It automatically baked everything once every few days with a big electric heater, making the compost dry and about the same smell as the stuff you buy in plastic bags in garden stores. It didn't user any plastic bags.

I miss that house. In addition to its amazing electric composting toilet, it was built and decorated in the Japanese style, with tatami-style floors, fusuma-style door panels, and a hall around the outside of two walls. A crazy rich (at the time - later impoverished and a fugitive) guy built it and several like it in rural Ohio, USA.

Could you imagine Las Vegas hotels with composting toilets?

Its not going too happen b/c people behave like royalty in todays day and age.

City buildings could easily collect all feaces and re-use it locally ... but again energy is still a problem (though it is better than what is being done now)

Shitin in a can is way more effiecient.

as for the impoverished fugitive: This type of person will be the norm. Thanks too the record keepers all humans with any endevour in thier hearts; that fumble and take risks will be shun from the cityscape that is our dystopia. Luckily the US has enough states to be able to move...but the rest of the world in a similar capital/suburbia setup will not be able too cope.

--whatever happens in the future, the only real need is food, and taking care of excrement.

Food is not a major concern (logistically - and people are willing to live with less food or replaced fake foods (minimalist dietary requirements))

Pooh on the other hand: Most people in a depressed state will just shite on the streets, and Royalty will just shite in their pants.

(Engineers on the other hand would leave the peasant/royal classes behind too fend for themselves)

I'm no engineer...but I do know that engineers are still thinking in energy consuming ways. ie Passive designs have always been thrown out the door for the sake of $$$$ so that the NYer can buy art...in effect engineers (smart people) are keeping artists(dumbies) occupied.

The engineer is willing to stay out of the art/office game, and most of them live in a manner that is typical and not overly consumerist.

...but after all the consumerism: the engineer has done the equations and hasn't got a clue what to do with all the artist shite.

So far the best solution seems to be to get artists too share the load and shovel thier own shite in the basement of buildings, and send it too the marketeers for re-branding. Artists seem to be able to sell creative shite...they should also put in the work and sell thier actual shite. (Rather than relying on the knowledgable/technical humble few that create the real stability in the world (cause we can all do art right!))

The aim of the engineering game is now: How to save water, and how do I do it on the cheap(ENERGY wise - not $$$wise).

There is a toilet design which isn't composting, but doesn't use water and can somewhat still be connected to the plumbing network. It's problem isn't that it doesn't work, its problem is the sale-ability.

The pscholgical hurdle necessary by the the populous in order for the system to be implemented is too extravagant. Soooo, too start a style in the current generation? - Shittin in the shower - b/c you complete two tasks at once. It's an automatic saving of upto 15L of water(old Flush).

The next step is too make Cotton taboo - it too is a waste of water...sadly this cannot be implemented too quickly. - sadly fashion designers need jobs too, and too rework the populous to be humble in only 2-10 sets of clothing for thier entire life time would make females go nuts. Sneakers on the other hand are not much of a concern: nor is nylon addidas clothing. (Are we starting to understand the 80's and who is really in power?)

GUYS -The HUNGER GAMES is the new reality.

Could you imagine Las Vegas hotels with composting toilets?

Just after reading this, I though “LOL, no way could you use composting toilets in Vegas!” On second thought, I realized that it wouldn’t be that hard a refit.

After the initial construction work, the burden would be mostly on the hotel housekeeping staff, who would have carting little plastic buckets added to their usual duty of trash, sheets and towels. As with the trash, a disposal company would need to truck it out of the city, where they could process it into useable composts, and via some sort of packaging and distribution scheme, get it folk who want it – farmers and gardeners of various scales. Labor-wise, this isn’t much different than what staff did in most hotels ‘til the late 1800s through early 1900s, before flush toilets became widespread – though in those days, and for 50-100 years after the widespread appearance of flush toilets, common toilets were the norm, individual ones to be found only in the most luxurious room suites.

I’m purposefully considering only the “core” of Vegas, it’s downtown strip, which is essentially all multi-story hotel (about 62,000 rooms, so about 125,000 residents), recreation, and retail. The city, greater city, and metro area has a larger population (about 500,000, 1,300,000, and 2,000,000). Many residences in the greater Las Vegas metro area are fairly rural – though the country is desert, not very good farm and garden land.

Its not going too happen b/c people behave like royalty in todays day and age.

Most people like to be comfortable, and not spend too much of their available time on chores like emptying chamber pots, a luxury once available only to the highest classes, the nobility, which included a small subset or royalty. I like this. Most people don’t having, or want to have, servants, or treating others as less than equals. I don’t. I don’t think many people like being compelled to have public lives and arranged, political marriages, an oblige nobles. So I don’t think many people behave, or want to be, royalty.

In my experience, most people wanting to be treated as nobility get enough of that experience by visiting renaissance faires and similar entertainments. The prospect of living that way as a permanent lifestyle is, at least to me, disturbing and unwanted.

City buildings could easily collect all feaces and re-use it locally ... but again energy is still a problem (though it is better than what is being done now)

My county of residence, Montgomery, in suburban Maryland, US, prototyped something like this 1990s, using its existing sewage and solid waste systems. Liquid sewage was mixed with suitable solid wastes (mostly dry wood pulp from construction and yard waste), piled and left to compost under big concrete domes, then packaged and sold under the brand name “ComPro”.

The program didn’t do very well. It struggled to compete on cost with conventional compost and fertilizer products. Even with its few prototype plants produced more product than could be sold to stores. The product was something of an advertising and marketing nightmare – nobody wanted compost that included human feces, vs. the usual animal manure product. The plants were closed by about 2000. Montgomery County continued to use some of the system to make and sell “LeafGro”, produced only from yard waste, and a “ComPro” product composted from yard waste material only.

Though there were some legitimate concerns about public sewage-derived composts, the main being that people put many things into sewage that shouldn’t be in compost or fertilizer, such as paint and household chemicals. But the cause of the program’s failure was a failure, against perhaps insurmountable consumer prejudice, of marketing. It’s hard to come up with a successful marketing strategy to literally sell human ****.

The program also had NIMBY problems. Various stages of the sewage-to-sellable product involved venting foul smelling air, which had to be elevated about 40 m (120 ft) to keep its stink from humans. The plant in West Farm Park, MD, had a few accidents where the powerful electric fans activated when the concrete domes were lifted to stir the compost heaps, releasing a stink so bad that neighboring businesses had to be abandoned due to employee and customer distress, some so bad people were actually throwing up in buildings and sidewalks. Even though this happened only a few times, it earned the area the alternate name “West Fart Park”, prompting its renaming to “West Farm Technology Park”, then its current “West Tech Park”.

Shitin in a can is way more effiecient.

If you actually calculated the labor, energy, and other costs, I think you’d find the “shitting in a can” approach to composting isn’t as efficient as the failed ComPro system's. It works well for small-scale, subsistence or supplemental farming and gardening, but can’t support high density populations.

Las Vegas: We could place bets with pooh chips...a commodity that maybe necessary to grow valued foods like carrots.

Shittin in a can/bag in the Skyscraper residences, I think could work quite well...all you have to do is collect your bags of poop and throw them down a specific waste schute. Utilisation of poop bags in the basement could be either direct heating for the building or composting.

Maryland Experiment: Yes its being done nowadays in the sence that the poop is sent far away (Which is always the way with the Royal Classes, sending the problem elsewhere)

Paint, aligators and goldfish. Yep...it used to be that you could tell your kids the goldfish is now free in the ocean.

Reuse of efluent products: Yes...it does not sell very well. Most people just don't like the aerospace industry. (ie they don't understand the phrase, spaceship earth)

Whatever system(s) that can be implemented...in many cities, where the probability of future collapse (eg Detroit in the past) happens, then the system has to be able to work on its own, much like the current plumbing.

One system is combining the shower and toilet.

another is utilising urine...

The liquid that is needed to provided momentum around the s-bend could be replaced with stored urine.

The problem is the smell, aesthetics, and some engineering hurdles.

The beauty of either possibilities is that the current plumbing network stays as is: The aim is only to save water while minimising smell and to do it without needing the electrical grid.

The shower solution works fine smell wise...and it wouldn't be too difficult to implement an s system there too (although it would occupy alot of underground space)

The PP flushing solution also occupies alot of vertical space, and is difficult to keep clean.

Sooo to me it's either cans or bags for city scapes, with a view too burning on site to charge the iPod.

Urine could be kept seperate and the nutrient used to make matches to light the shite.

Edited by ErlyRisa