What I want to know,

What programming language would you recommend I learn,

Should I go back to C++ (and C),

or is something like Java or C# more suitable today,

and for the future?

:hyper:

Kizzi

:eek:

Ok, C++ is worth the while, trust me, C is good, C++ is better, there's loads of new things, concepts, ideas, ways to design things, etc.

Can I say who's compiler I'm thinking of buying?

!!!BUYING!!! but they are free in both sences of the word, borland compiler isnt too bad, microsoft one stinks to say the least, I'd recomment dev c++ (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dev-cpp/devcpp4.zip for 4 or http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html for the 5 beta) its gcc based and is pretty excellent...

as to my recommendations for your further language studyLhttp://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html: Python, Perl( 6, hopefully comes out soon ) and PHP, they are similar enough and Lisp if you'd like my reasons why, dont hesitate to ask :hyper:

or is something like Java or C# more suitable today,

and for the future?

Learn these if necessary, AFTER having learnt C++ properly!

Coffee especially can be good for finding jobs, going from C++ to it is downhill. Just after I did, I had only done a bit of stuff in Coffee, I was given the task of teaching Coffee to a colleague that had always worked only in COBOL and within 3 weeks she was helping a team on a project in Coffee.

Microsoft? Visual? C++? 6.0? that to me just sound like a long oxymoron, the reason you'd want to use a gcc based compiler is because gcc is used and is the main ingredient in Linux, it is the most developed compiler and has been fine tuned for years and years (nevermind the updates that they release every now and then) (its also free and open source, so its a win win there)

Yesterday I downloaded DEV-C++ 4.9.9.2 from Bloodshed.

It looks good,

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Got one or two other things to do first.

I tried a live CD of mandrakesoft on my new PC,

but things didn't work out,

it didn't run as expected,

so I think I'm stuck with XP.

Nevermind.

:Alien:

Kizzi

Well, i dont know why you'd go with mandrake to start with, ins by far not the best or easiest to work with distro (assumung that is what you are looking for) if you want to Give linux a try, you should download Knoppix (knoppix.net), they have worked a lot to get their live cd to be almost perfect. If you'd like to play around with an easy linux, you should install Ubuntu (ubuntulinux.org)

I downloaded these electronic books : Thinking in C++ Vol 1 & 2 by Bruce Eckel. I'm currently working my way through the first volume....The first chapter read already!

I might try and get my hands on a Knoppix CD. Downloading would take too long on my dial-up perhaps and I would no doubt run into trouble getting the download to become a live CD! I did have a quick peek at the FAQs but didn't (quickly) see what I was after. I'll take another look this weekend.

I've also got "Teach yourself programming in 21 days" by Jessie Liberty. This seemed a good book when I read it last year. I should of kept up the practice...I'd be a good programmer by now if I had!

:rant:

I might find an area to specialize in. Do you think neural networks could do with another C++ programmer, or has it all been done?

Kizzi

Hi!

I downloaded Knoppix 3.7 iso and used Nero to burn it to a cd. Then booted from the cd to knoppix. Only input was my screen refresh rate,resolution, language. The only problem I had was that knippix did not mount any of my drives, so could not save anything. Took a while to learn the problem and how to solve it. Next configured printer, then saved configuratin to a floppy. Now I can boot from cd, enter 'floppyconfig' and the machine boots to knoppix ready to use. Total boot time is about 2 minutes.

I started programming in basic, then 68000 assembly then C. Can't seem to get c++ thru my head. C#.net is easy but a decomplier is built in so anyone can get your original source code, (if that is a consideration) While I have not used PERL or ADA, everything I have read implies that PERL should be a good choice for your next language.

Good luck!

no, no, no, dont get me wrong, i know perl and think that its a good language, but i think that perl is great of you have to do anything with strings, other then that, perl is really a cryptic language, it is worth learning, but i think that you should wait until the next version is released (which should be soon enough)(oh and i have a plethera of reasons for it), for the meantime learn Python (mainly as a first and at the same time really powerful scripting language, oh and just so if you do any kind of Java programming after, you wont be a straight java programmer), if you get finished with that before Perl is out, learn PHP (it will give you experience with perl and web programming and databasing), if you are done with that before the new perl is out, learn Lisp (in for quite a ride there, learn a completely different concept of programming), and by that time the new perl will be out, no I'm very sure that it will be by this point...

Well....

Your question is really tought and I know I hav go give you an answer.

Java and C# are good languages and You kno they are not much of enhancement to you. They are only for the Web Designing and they wont help you in top level programming.

C++ and C are programs that are tought to learn but easy to program and they bring more enchancements than what Java and C# giv you.

Thatz the reason for C and C++ still in demand.

But, It is all yer choice and my recommendation will be C and C++.

Thank You!!!

You don't need to know C++ in order to learn Java (I learned them in reverse order). Java's main advantages are that it has the best portability out of popular languages, its programs can be run over the internet, and the basic syntax is easier to understand than C or C++. On the other hand, C++ apps generally perform faster than Java apps. Unless you want to do web programming, I'd recommend sticking with C++.

I use Microsoft Visual C++, and it works fine for me ;)

Without question, C++ is worth learning.

Even if you don’t anticipate ever compiling a program from C++ source code, C++, like C, is so commonly used in texts about programming that a lack of familiarity with it makes reading such texts awfully cumbersome.

In my experience, it’s impossible to “hurt you mind” by leaning too many programming languages, though switching rapidly from working in one to working in another can cause some amusing mistakes!

All procedural languages, from assemblers, through mid-level languages like C, object-abstracted ones like C++ Java and SmallTalk, to highly-abstracted ones like LISP and MUMPS, are so similar that knowledge and experience in one translates to knowledge and experience in any other.

More, it’s interesting and rewarding to develop a sense of the differences and similarity between procedural languages. It’s useful, as well, as one can include strong features of a language as classes or macros definitions in another, to good advantage. Of course, if you write a language compiler, knowledge of many languages is very helpful.

A suggesting about studying programming languages: learn to and make a practice of describing each one you learn in a contextless grammar, such as BNF. Then answer the questions “what’s not captured by the grammatic description of a language, and how can it be captured?” These are not trivial questions.

You don't need to know C++ in order to learn Java (I learned them in reverse order).

Java is like 90% C++, and it is not backwards, so you are better off learning C++ before Java

Java's main advantages are that it has the best portability out of popular languages, its programs can be run over the internet, and the basic syntax is easier to understand than C or C++.

lol, good one there

To start with, perl and python are much more portable then Java, and if you are saying that they are not popular programming languages, you are not a programmer... secondly, basic synthax of Java is not easier to understand than that of C++, because Java is 90% C++, I'd argue that Java is harder to read then C++, because even the easiest tasks require you to create and use Object orientation to which, ease of read is not the priority...

On the other hand, C++ apps generally perform faster than Java apps.

Times and times faster then Java apps, oh and they use lots and lots less resources to do so, oh, and C++ is capable of doing quite a few things that Java cant do.

Unless you want to do web programming, I'd recommend sticking with C++.

Oh, come on, whats wrong with web programming in C++ for the web? kidding, but even for that, java is not the best language to pick...

I use Microsoft Visual C++, and it works fine for me

do you also use namespace std?