Science Forums

Gm Foods

Shea

I for one find that we haven't got a choice.

I think we are running a major risk though. Food is just the start, and you have to also question what food is in the end? Growing food naturally is one thing, and having the human race become versed in genetic engineering is a good thing, sadly humans need incentive to learn/work, so you have too sell GM crops. The problem really comes back to the middle manager in the end, or the hedge funder: They want profit at all costs, they don't actually care if we wipe out an entire genetic lineage, nor do they care if we were to be wiped out tomorrow (Society) and our engineered crops turned into weeds that take out the entire planet turning it homogenous. The strange part is, is that by the time all the profiteering of gm cropping goes into effect, the knowledge of genetic engineering may have gotten to a stage that we would be able to rear flying, diving, and transformers style humans: So you know what, I reckon lets wait it out, the info is their to learn and try it out to a level beyond just basic food.

A couple problems with your wait it out approach.  First, we do have GMO free certified food, so the choice is there; if demand turned to that as the majority, it would become the only economically feasible option for companies.  To pull this off we'd need the populace to say no en masse.

Secondly, yeah, the corporation wants, but it's more than wiping out the human race-it's irrevocably altering the entirety of our ecosystem.  The spread of GMO isn't just limited to crops-other plants could become infected, animals could eat the GM plants, they become effected, before you know it our world has been altered radically and could collapse on itself.  This isn't one species, or even a few, at risk-it's our entire biosphere.

Whereas if we hold off on the big bucks for a decade, get the research done right, know what we're getting into, then we can turn our knowledge to our advantage.  ntm Who knows what advancements might be made to genetic engineering in that time?  We could understand it in ways we can't predict that could turn out to be beneficial for mankind, ntm the world.

I also think, and believe that GMO's are Bad. Very Bad.

Bad for consumers, and bad for consumers health.

Who is behind the GMO push?

Monsanto of course.. with full backing from the crooked FDA (Food and Drug Administration)

I'm not trying to be a Conspiracy Theorist about this, but the push for GMO is Illogical.

Mother Nature and Humans have done well-enough for thousands of years.

So why Genetically alter it?

People have hybridized plants, grafted plants, and such for eons as a way to combat Natures pests and disease. But to Genetically Alter plants is fooling around with something I don't think Mother Nature would agree with.

You can look up Mice studies where Fertility is nullified after a few generations of being fed GMO diets.

Many countries do NOT allow GMO produce to be grown or imported. Its the USA, who backed by the nefarious FDA, are the ones leading the charge for more GMO.

Do NOT buy Commercial Brands of Cereal. Any major brands that use Soy or Corn or Canola.

You are best off sticking to small local farms, known organics, and other healthful choices.

As a Fitness Trainer, I basically recommend from buying ANY major nationalized/commercialized brand.. They are all laden with GMO's, Hydrogenated Oils, High Fructose Corn Syrups, Dyes, Preservatives, Nitrates.

READ THE INGREDIENT LABELS before you buy!

GMO foods freak me out! I don't even need to look at proof and evidence. It's a gut reaction and as we know, these gut reactions to our food is an evolutionary protective measure. It's like how we have a gut reaction against eating rotten foods or certain flavors. We don't need piles of evidence to show us that we shouldn't eat rotten meat we just inherently know it's not good for us. That's kind of how I feel about GMO foods.