Science Forums

Busy Lives Equals Memory Problems?

Self-centred individuals wouldn't fall prey to such blackmail because you need to feel affection for others, to be manipulated in this way. Alzheimer patients because they have no short term memory, can be told of a loved one's loss and react the same way each time as if the news is fresh - is that what you mean? True believers with simple minds? Just think of any fanatic, whether religious or political, whipped into a frenzy by 'what someone says' is the truth, versus someone who uses their own senses, to question what is or isn't true: If you're not grounded, then you are going to confuse what is or isn't real, hence brainwashing and sleep deprivation etc.

Trained psychopath (trained as in more skilled in several disciplines, specifically pyschology, body language, and what your trying to trick him/her with) also is quite unmanipulable -> even with surgery I would presume?

Yeah on "True Believers" ... the ones shampoo is sold too. You could tell them that the yellow shampoo is better than the blue one for years on end, and the "knowledge" would spread amongst them creating a cult of sorts... but ten years down the track if Green is better - bang you just started a new economy. For example, ask a 37yr old today what they think of the Ozone layer, many I would bet you would not remember the phase and popularity of the topic while they were growing up...but most of them yammered on about it like the world was going to end. Or another eg. you could try with strangers/friends is to see if anyone remembers that 2012 end of world thing and what it was about, and what kind of conversations those people had. You could correlate the responses to the actual unraveling of the hype via media outlet specifics of the time. eg. Lace the question by providing fact, like how about in 2012 when the world was going to end b/c the Malaysian Calender reached its peak. - bet you 30% of the population wouldn't stop you in saying it was about the Malayan Calendar, and most would probably be able to quote the movie(s) at the time , and you could watch them replace every word where Malay is supposed too fit, with Malaysian. ,,,and this my colleges is why I have no friends, nor care for the average human. After a awhile it just makes you sick, and now that most women are on Fbook, I have too sit their watching people mistake their own memories of their own lives, even with supporting data. (At least when I was growing up I knew that that children rework memory in groups too benefit themselves/situation -- watching it on mass -fully recorded, makes me want to die.)

For example: One for the "Good Memory People"

Does it make it sick to your guts to watch your own friends that you grew up with reguritate the past - especially the good memories...completely and utterly wrong, or yet worse completely doctored...and watching it unfold, and understanding the algorithm behind who its unfolding...and seeing it happen with the same memory more than once. You would think kids would learn from chinese whispers, but I think Alcohol, and the drudgery of life, makes embellishment an art left too idiots.

Arissa I get that too nowadays because time (I'm 62) and apathy have crept up on me. I think verbal memory acts like a fruit/slot machine because sentences have to come out in a particular order to make sense but you can have alternatives to what goes where and if you're tired, tight control goes out the window and lose mistakes slip in e.g "Hi Joan/John/Jim!" "I think the name you're searching for is Doug."

An interesting I've noticed since coming back here from Facebook, is hitting the return to post something before realizing I need to hit the 'post' button instead. Dr Johnston said 'He, who is tired of London,is tired of life.' Well I guess that's me or am I just tired of everything?

So many of you have made excellent points. I fully agree with Racoon's rhyming suggestions, and that's a technique that's served me well over the years. Arissa, I often mix up my kids' names and to my chagrin, I find myself calling my son by my brother's name more times than I care to admit. Like Deepwater6, I do a lot of puzzles hoping it will help keep my mind sharp --- and lately, I've taken to watching Jeopardy, which I have to admit, makes me feel like a total frikken idiot...

My developmentally disabled brother was recently diagnosed with (vascular) dementia / brain atrophy and my very aged mother has it, too. It scares the living daylights out of me.