Science Forums

Positive Attitudes And Health

Do you believe that having a positive attitude can help keep you from getting sick? I'm not really talking about your average, run-of-the mill, daily positive attitude either. I'm talking about an attitude to where you let the hard times just roll off your shoulders and you keep going. Where adversity is just another reason to stay positive. Where other peoples negative perceptions of you is another reason to stay positive. You stay realistic about what you can do and who you can do it with, but you don't let hardships and setbacks get you negative. You keep a positive attitude.

Do you think people like that are generally more physically healthy?

• 2 weeks later...

I think absolutely, people who expect to be healthy are in fact healthy, at least generally.

As to what actually causes health or illness, obviously, genetics and environment play a role. That notwithstanding, mental attitude plays a key role.

I agree with this 100%. Negativity and stress really wear you down. I can see how they take a toll on your body. I don't know anyone that fits your description though. I mean, I know people that are positive most times but not all the time. To me that person would be fake. I guess that could wear on your body too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that your mind and how you think play a great part in your general well-being. If you sit around and dwell on how sick you are it will get you very depressed. When you are depressed you really do not feel like doing anything. Having a positive outlook will lift your spirits. Whenever I feel a little under the weather I try to focus on others who are suffering from a serious health illness. That pretty much puts things back into prospective for me.