Science Forums

Where Do Cankers Come From?

Mars1

My son seems to get cankers often.  Someone told me it's a version of cold sores but in the mouth.  It seems to happen if he drinks juice too often or eats a lot of really acidy foods.  They are painful and he doesn't like to eat when he has them.  The doctor said he couldn't explain why my son gets them.

• 1 month later...

My son seems to get cankers often.  Someone told me it's a version of cold sores but in the mouth.  It seems to happen if he drinks juice too often or eats a lot of really acidy foods.  They are painful and he doesn't like to eat when he has them.  The doctor said he couldn't explain why my son gets them.

I get them too.

is that what they are called?

Yep: over indulgence with salty or acidic does it for me, sweet no so much, but I have noticed that lemon Juice doesn't, only orange (I don't like apple as much as the other two)

Salted packeted potatoe chips of the plain salted variety are better than those with flavourings, some of the flavourings are worse than others (but its unscientific so I can't say exactly which ones are worse, though Salt And Vinegar is a safe bet worse - I just can't help myself though!!)

I have occasionally ran into "Cankers" with , new Beers that I may consume - but that could just be the salted peanuts (new beer is usually in public setting where peanuts are available and you gorge yourself, whereas normally I drink a staple beer at home I never have anything with it other than potatoe chips).

Note: Soft Drinks don't do it for me: So its not the Carbonated Sweetness, nor is it the acidity of some of the stronger fizzy drinks, it seems tobe the natural acidity of natural Juices that does it.

...could be genetic?

PS I have the cold sore virus, and that comes without warning. (Well, it usually happens if my lips dry out for some reason)