Science Forums

Spring?

pljames

I wish that I could answer your question, pljames.

It is a very late start to spring in the Yukon also, but nothing compared to the snowbound east coast of Canada. We had an incredibly mild January, a fairly normal February, and a sunny but cold month of March. The snow in many places is still up to the knees of my horse or about 16 inches+ deep.

Highly irregular.

The cold winter across North America has driven heating fuels up dramatically and a late spring potentially bodes ill for the farmers.

In California we haven't had much of a winter. Trees all bloomed weeks ago: cherries in late January and the Plum/Apples in mid-February.

The not-so-little-one and I got some almost summer days in January in San Diego where we got to go to the beach and work on our winter tans....

Of course most of California got no measurable rain whatsoever during Calendar 2013, and we had a mild summer.

Not normal weather, much changed climate.

Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists? :phones:

Buffy

My horses are starting to shed hair like mad, so for me, that is the indicator that spring is coming.

On another front, it is time to transplant some of my tomato seedlings into larger containers and I noticed some small round, whitish bumps on the stems and immediately went on a google search. Fortunately, it is nothing to be concerned about, a simple case of Tomato Stem Primordia, caused by a bit more water than needed and the fact that tomato plants will develop a root system up the stem, which is why we transplant them deep to promote this growth which benefits the uptake of water and nutrients.

http://www.missouripermaculture.com/2011/08/help-what-are-these-bumps-on-my-tomato.html

I grow my tomatoes indoors on the window ledges and usually have fresh tomatoes from early June through October-November.