Science Forums

Officially Launching The Online Nation

cal

The invention of the internet marked the first time in history that information could flow in a frictionless environment. The internet is the democratization of information and knowledge. The invention of Bitcoin marked the first time in history that currency could flow in a frictionless environment. Bitcoin is the democratization of currency. The invention of the Online Nation will mark the first time in history that power can flow in a frictionless environment. The Online Nation is the democratization of power.

So it's been a little over a year since the last couple threads I started about this. You can still view and edit the crowd-sourced constitution here.

I'm starting a kickstarter for the funding of this initial project (costs needed to pay programmers) and the official launch of the open-source, decentralized, peer-to-peer, pure democratic nation will be set at about half a year, to a full year after the kickstarter project ends. Yes there have been some major re-workings of this system, due to discussions on this forum, discussions on other forums, and discussions with many, many people I've met, and the rest of my friends have met, across academia (and soundcloud lol). One of the major re-workings is that this will be based on the source code (if not fully integrated with) bitcoin's peer-to-peer wallet client & miner network. Your wallet will double as an ID, with two separate sets of addresses for each component. You can manufacture as many random and anonymous addresses as you want for your wallet, just like how bitcoin normally works, but your citizen-ID will be a singular ID tied to your person. While it is associated with your real identity, and anyone with your address can see your name, voting and law-making can still be done anonymously. Using bitcoin (or some altcoin) is a doubly good backing for this system as it is a frictionless currency, and much more secure, and much more stable than fiat currencies.

Of course there's a lot more I could say on this, as there's so much this encompasses, but I know most people don't read these walls of text so I'm keeping it short and simple. On top of a near-final revision of the Constitution I will also be posting a sort-of "White Paper" for the hows and whys of this government (similar to Satoshi's paper on bitcoin) in the kickstarter.

Something to think about before some of you oppressive anti-freedom mooks comment again- this is an open source government environment, decentralized and supported by the peer network that seeks to utilize it. If you disagree with the constitution or how the system works, you can make your own constitution and rework the code to your own liking. This opens a whole new world of politics. Let that sizzle on your frizzle for a mizzle.

Edited by Snax

...Something to think about before some of you oppressive anti-freedom mooks comment again- this is an open source government environment, decentralized and supported by the peer network that seeks to utilize it. If you disagree with the constitution or how the system works, you can make your own constitution and rework the code to your own liking. This opens a whole new world of politics. Let that sizzle on your frizzle for a mizzle.

Bitcoin has folded & I officially declare war on the Online Nation on behalf of Skull & Bones and Mooks everywhere. Gird your loins; you will be assimilated. :hal_skeleton: :alien_dance:

Dateline February 26, 2014 at 3:24 a.m.

Major bitcoin exchange said to fold: Mt. Gox site, virtual-currency holdings seem to vanish

One of the world’s largest bitcoin exchanges has seemingly disappeared, delivering a blow to the virtual currency as it struggles to gain legitimacy

Bitcoin has folded & I officially declare war on the Online Nation on behalf of Skull & Bones and Mooks everywhere. Gird your loins; you will be assimilated. :hal_skeleton: :alien_dance:

People talking about Mt.Gox's shenanigans these past couple of days strike everyone who knows how bitcoin works in a slanted fashion. Mt.Gox was actively working to steal millions of dollars in currency, and that's what they did. Bitcoin did not suffer from this, in fact, if all the exchanges collapsed (and there are dozens of exchanges larger and more stable than Mt. Gox btw) it would actually strengthen bitcoin, because it would exclude large fiat transfers entirely, making the currency more independent. I'd like to also show that what this one exchange (Mt. Gox) did with their client's money (cryptocurrency exchanges work like escrow basically) is decide to do nothing with it. What happened is Mt. Gox told people that they could pump USD and BTC into their exchange, but that they couldn't withdraw anything. Then a bunch of stupid people started dumping their USD and BTC into Mt. Gox, realized they couldn't withdraw, and cried that they couldn't withdraw their USD or BTC currencies. This whole thing the last few days is about a bunch of stupid people that don't understand cryptocurrency (or even normal financials) realizing they dun phuk thai woo long'd up. Mt. Gox then closed their services entirely saying they were "hacked" to postpone suspicion and walked away with all the stupid people's money that the stupid people handed over without hesitation in the first place.

Nothing was "stolen" through a hack, you cannot steal bitcoin without physically having someone's bitcoin wallet, much like you cannot steal someone's physical leather wallet without taking their physical leather wallet. If anything, one of the Admin's turned on the others and re-encrypted their exchange's wallet for him/herself, and that would constitute their "hack"... but the obvious conclusion is that the exchange of (I think ten people run it) was sitting on about 20 million dollars USD in current market liquidity and 80 million dollars more in current BTC prices, saw that they were sitting on more money than they'd ever be able to spend, and decided to just close the market with the money they already owned and was traded to them. What they did is "stealing" to stupid people who think that other people who own all their money somehow don't own all their money, but "smart" to the financially literate.

Also keep in mind that Mt.Gox is a crypto-to-fiat exchange (and versa vice), and its very existence is actually a detriment to the strength of bitcoin. By Mt.Gox folding, and people thinking that's somehow bad, for either bitcoin or Mt.Gox, is foolish. It's also very keen to note that setting up a bitcoin miner is not straight-forward for internet illiterate. There is a degree of non-simplicity that's been instantiated on purpose to keep this an underground thing where only the intelligent can play. And it's worked exceptionally well because of this. The more you sensationalize and make it seem like cryptocurrency is a bad thing (clearly showing you don't understand anything about it), the more money people will make off of it.

Edited by Snax

And another thing, it really shows that you don't know what the phuk thai you're talking about when you say bitcoin is "struggling to gain legitimacy" or that it's not a "real currency".

If people are willing to exchange goods and services for it, it is a real currency. If you can withdraw it from your atm in Canada (or any country in the world that has adopted it), it is a "legitimate" currency. The fact that what the entire idea of crypto exchange is - being able to convert directly between crypto and fiat currency - means that it's as real as any other currency used across the world today, and even stronger than many country's own currency because their currency isn't traded globally like bitcoin or USD, or Yen, etc.

It absolutely pains me that people are so resistant to the largest advancement in currency and financial sector in history because they simply refuse to learn and understand how the invention works. That's what it is btw, because bitcoin isn't just currency, it's an entire programming environment and a cryptographic and mathematic breakthrough. The bitcoin system was literally mathematically invented, that's how mind blowing and amazing this thing is.

I just... I don't... people are stupid lol.

Edited by Snax

And another thing, it really shows that you don't know what the phuk thai you're talking about when you say bitcoin is "struggling to gain legitimacy" or that it's not a "real currency".

Presumably you mean me Turtle when you say "you don't know...". Well, if you had bothered to visit the link you would know I didn't say that, but rather quoted it from the link.

That you don't do due diligence in your research before going off half-cocked is going to continue being a major problem for you in presenting your ideas and/or getting them accepted. When you are your own worst enemy, there's no need for Mooks.

I was quoting the link...

Well then saying "And another thing, it really shows that you don't know..." is poor -if not wrong- grammatical structure. "They/he/she" were not talking to you, I was; the proper form would be for you to have said "And another thing, it really shows that they/he/she doesn't know...".

You have made it a point in much of your writing to show your disdain for conventional norms, but such show-for-show's-sake only alienates readers. You do both the readers and yourself a disservice by not taking care to use conventional grammatical forms. You have the leisure to proofread your work before posting and it will serve you well to take advantage of that leisure. The more clear, concise, and easy to read your writing, the more likely you are to successfully convey your thoughts. :)

Well then saying "And another thing, it really shows that you don't know..." is poor -if not wrong- grammatical structure.

Naw. I used the royal "you" correctly, the royal you is a filler for any and all people. I addressed everyone who would say such things. It was used correctly.

You have made it a point in much of your writing to show your disdain for conventional norms

What lol. What conventions have I not attended? What conventions did you guys go to and not invite me to? Like wtf guys, that's not cool.

but such show-for-show's-sake only alienates readers. You do both the readers and yourself a disservice by not taking care to use conventional grammatical forms.

Alienates to you, makes it bearable to read for others. I am using the conventional grammatical forms of my generation, get used to it.

The more clear, concise, and easy to read your writing, the more likely you are to successfully convey your thoughts. :)

Okay, right, but to me it's about as clear and straightforward as it gets. As far as I'm concerned, I leave little room for misinterpretation; all the misinterpretation that's happened on this forum is when people fail to understand newly defined terms in an original post (like a typedef) or they fail to understand the predefined meanings of the words (like deity vs. deistic).

Also, are you and me the only people on this forum lol? Moontanman said like two things in the past week and the rest has been us lol.

Naw. I used the royal "you" correctly, the royal you is a filler for any and all people. I addressed everyone who would say such things. It was used correctly.

It was unclear or I would not have commented. While I have heard of the 'majestic we', we have not heard of a majestic you. Can you provide a reference to that? We'd be interested in reading it and though we searched, we cannot find it. :read:

What lol. What conventions have I not attended? What conventions did you guys go to and not invite me to? Like wtf guys, that's not cool.

Conventions of writing. Moreover, since this is a science forum -a technical field- and you are making technical arguments, then you will only be helping yourself and readers by learning and using conventions of technical writing. You got your invitation; it was labled school. If you slacked and slept through it you have no one to thank but yourself. :night_moon: :whip-new:

Alienates to you, makes it bearable to read for others. I am using the conventional grammatical forms of my generation, get used to it.

But you are not just writing to/for your generation. When you read articles meant to convey information, whether online or hardcopy, it is not formatted or styled as your writing here. I venture to say that were it so, even you would balk. Reading should be easy and enjoyable, not bearable.

Okay, right, but to me it's about as clear and straightforward as it gets. As far as I'm concerned, I leave little room for misinterpretation; all the misinterpretation that's happened on this forum is when people fail to understand newly defined terms in an original post (like a typedef) or they fail to understand the predefined meanings of the words (like deity vs. deistic).

That's what I'm trying to get across to you; what you think you have presented as straightforward is not.

Also, are you and me the only people on this forum lol? Moontanman said like two things in the past week and the rest has been us lol.

:lol: Yea, it's pretty much you & me little buddy. This place is on life support and we're running the pumps. :dance: :drummer: In spite of my criticisms, I like your enthusiasm and busy mind and at the end of the day I am on your side. Onward!! :piratesword:

i love the idea of an online nation, and using bit coin as your currency.... is there a way i can kiss you over the internet???

i read through it, and i agree. sounds very fair and just.

the poorest only pay taxes based on income, its a flat rate, and higher earners pay a larger portion, based on what they can afford.

i don't quite understand the consept of solving a Vote, can you go over that a little better?

do you mean that the higher your processing power, the more votes you have?

or do you simply mean you can sell some of your processing power in exchange for the right to vote?

It was unclear or I would not have commented. While I have heard of the 'majestic we', we have not heard of a majestic you. Can you provide a reference to that? We'd be interested in reading it and though we searched, we cannot find it. :read:

Really I used "you" plural, as in any and all readers or persons being addressed. As in, "you people". lol.

Moreover, since this is a science forum -a technical field- and you are making technical arguments,

Science forum, but philosophy board. I am not making technical arguments, I am making philosophical ones.

You got your invitation; it was labeled school. If you slacked and slept through it you have no one to thank but yourself. :night_moon: :whip-new:

Shots fired. The only thing they teach you until college is MLA and that Jane chick's system, both of which are identical minus source formatting. If I followed those conventions, I wouldn't be able to ever write more that five paragraphs, or three main arguments. And in college, the formats for "conventional" writing are also identical except they allow up to nine paragraphs and sources have to be cited in-line. When they ask you to write more than three pages, all those conventional writing systems go out the window because the conventional writing systems are terrible in American English. If you payed attention in school you would have realized that none of your posts are formatted correctly (conventionally speaking) either. It's probably a good thing they aren't.

But you are not just writing to/for your generation.

But I am. I share a lot of threads from this site with many people of my exact, or close to my exact age. I used to share other threads but everyone gets tired and bored with them because they have no decent word play and no personality. They are incredibly boring to read. I'm not saying mine are amazing, but they're certainly more entertaining comparatively, and people are much more willing to read the entire thing and talk with me about it afterwords. So I've already won this battle, I've done the experiments, I've gathered the data, the news is in, people like my writing the way it is. Game, set, match. <- doubles examples.

:lol: Yea, it's pretty much you & me little buddy. This place is on life support and we're running the pumps. :dance: :drummer: In spite of my criticisms, I like your enthusiasm and busy mind and at the end of the day I am on your side. Onward!! :piratesword:

And despite my dissent to almost all of your criticisms, I am glad you have them. I'd rather have reasonable criticisms than baseless adulation. I'm glad you are commenting at all tbh, because this place is dead like mondays. Why is it so slow right now? I remember when it was hard to get people to read a new thread because of all the other ones that were being bumped, but now... =(

Really I used "you" plural, as in any and all readers or persons being addressed. As in, "you people". lol.

Science forum, but philosophy board. I am not making technical arguments, I am making philosophical ones.

Shots fired. The only thing they teach you until college is MLA and that Jane chick's system, both of which are identical minus source formatting. If I followed those conventions, I wouldn't be able to ever write more that five paragraphs, or three main arguments. And in college, the formats for "conventional" writing are also identical except they allow up to nine paragraphs and sources have to be cited in-line. When they ask you to write more than three pages, all those conventional writing systems go out the window because the conventional writing systems are terrible in American English. If you payed attention in school you would have realized that none of your posts are formatted correctly (conventionally speaking) either. It's probably a good thing they aren't.

But I am. I share a lot of threads from this site with many people of my exact, or close to my exact age. I used to share other threads but everyone gets tired and bored with them because they have no decent word play and no personality. They are incredibly boring to read. I'm not saying mine are amazing, but they're certainly more entertaining comparatively, and people are much more willing to read the entire thing and talk with me about it afterwords. So I've already won this battle, I've done the experiments, I've gathered the data, the news is in, people like my writing the way it is. Game, set, match. <- doubles examples.

:rotfl: It's not a zero sum game. I note you adopted a more formal/standard style in your defense of a less formal/standard style. Good for you! To quote a favored contemporary philosopher that I wish to remain anonymous, "one can never truly prove anything in Philosophy."

And despite my dissent to almost all of your criticisms, I am glad you have them. I'd rather have reasonable criticisms than baseless adulation. I'm glad you are commenting at all tbh, because this place is dead like mondays. Why is it so slow right now? I remember when it was hard to get people to read a new thread because of all the other ones that were being bumped, but now... =(

You're welcome. I'm happy to oblige. Any answer I might give as to the decline here would be sheer speculation. In a bit of a paradox, we need folks who aren't here to say why they aren't here.

Yesterday, upon the stair,

I met a man who wasn't there.

He wasn't there again today,

I wish, I wish he'd go away...

from Anitgonish by Hughes Mearns

i love the idea of an online nation, and using bit coin as your currency.... is there a way i can kiss you over the internet???

Yes, here is my bitcoin address - 1BHxq8bwifRdkfcfJu5ysxq7zZMbxs2MhX

Send me as much money, I mean kisses, as you want lol.

i don't quite understand the consept of solving a Vote, can you go over that a little better?

do you mean that the higher your processing power, the more votes you have?

or do you simply mean you can sell some of your processing power in exchange for the right to vote?

Okay, the way bitcoin works is everyone who is mining is working to solve the next hash value for the next block in the block-chain. Whoever guesses the hash first gets awarded with 25-ish bitcoins. Every miner on the entire network is working for this one hash value so only one miner (or pool) gets it every ten minutes. Keep in mind there is more computing power on the bitcoin network now than anything else on the planet. The bitcoin network has far surpassed google's server farms, in fact it would take the world's top 600 super-computer clusters to match bitcoin's network in computational power. So there is only a very, very small chance that you will solve the hash, which is why, even with a high-end set of servers, you will probably only get one or two bitcoins every six months now, even running the servers full-time. I guess I preemptively answered your other question about mining, in that there is no point in mining bitcoin now because you will never get a bitcoin out of it. But what all this means is that every time a transaction is made, sending/receiving money, contracts placed inside the bitcoins, accesses of the public ledger, this is all verified by random nodes on the network (from to 6-12 independent verifications) and then added to the block-chain which must also be solved. So the entire process is similar to a random vote. All we would have to do is re-work the code a little (or really just copy and paste into a side module) to make the same cryptographic securities of voting work towards casting a permanent vote rather than constant testing of the network via hash values. I know I'm not explaining this well, because I'm trying to summarize a 20 page invention in a single paragraph, so I'm going to attach an html document I made for my altcoin miner and daytrader friends that has all the information you will ever, ever need to know about bitcoin and cryptocurrency. The attachment should provide all sorts of useful information and if you don't trust the html, open it in notepad first, but it's all there. The html document is a super-navigator document (which will make sense when you see it) so you can use it and modify it as you wish for whatever you need.

It won't let me attach anything -_-

Edited by Snax

What error message was displayed? I bit we can fix things for you. ;)

It doesn't. I can hit browse and select the .html file I want to attach, but the "Attach This File" button doesn't run any scripts so when I click it, it does nothing. I get no response at all from the Attach This File button. I know it is not the size of the file because I have 460.38 KB left over in my upload allowance on this site and the .html file is only 10.3 KB...

It doesn't. I can hit browse and select the .html file I want to attach, but the "Attach This File" button doesn't run any scripts so when I click it, it does nothing. I get no response at all from the Attach This File button. I know it is not the size of the file because I have 460.38 KB left over in my upload allowance on this site and the .html file is only 10.3 KB...

Mmmmmm.... Try attaching the .txt version you mentioned? Perhaps .html is not an allowed extension type or if it is there is some glitch in the Ipboard software. It wouldn't be the first thing here that has gone kaplooie. :ebomb: Also, since Phillip gave you his e-mail you might try getting it to him there. :idea: :email: