Science Forums

A Question About Global Warming

I have a couple of Questions about Global Warming.

All the Arguments are based on the Premise that we want to slow it down or stop it all together.

And I agree, that is a Reasonable Position.

But turn the situation on it's head momentarily.

What if the Whole World was committed to Raising Global Temperatures As Much and As Quickly as Possible?

How much could we Contibute if we did everything possible to speed up the Warming?

{Within Reason—Probably wouldn't want the Pollutants from Dirty Coal Pouring into our Atmosphere, even if we did think MORE CO2 was a good thing—that doesn't mean that more SO2 and NO2 would be good things. }

{Why do I ask? Extreme Cases and Looking Through the "Wrong" End of the Telescope sometimes yields insight...}

Second Question:

Some Olde Tyme Antarctic explorer remarked that if the Ross Ice Shelf ever broke loose that it would Herald the Death of Human Civilization.

Once again, assuming a bunch of Lemming-Like Dudes determined to throw Excrement into the Air Moving Oscillator just to watch the ensuing Chaos...

Do we have the resources, with deep drilling "Underground" (more like "Underice") Nuclear Explosions and whatever other Forces we could bring to bear, to break the Ross Ice Shelf free from the mainland?

Just supposing that we did—What result would we expect?

(Parenthetically—Is this a place where a falling Asteroid that wasn't quite big enough to be a Civilization ender otherwise could hit in just the right spot to magnify the bad effects dramatically?

Or would an Astroid big enough to break the Ross Ice Shelf loose be a Civilization-Ender Wherever it fell? )

Saxon Violence

Edited by SaxonViolence