Science Forums

Testosterone Replacement Therapy

Can one get the Good Effects of TRT:

Better Health and Vigor, Stronger Bones, Less Depression, Easier Muscle Building and Easier Fat Reduction, Better Insulin Sensitivity...

Without that Horrifying Side-Effect:

Return of Sexual Desire?

If not, who thinks that it is an acceptable Trade-Off?

Saxon Violence

Testosterone is King..

Unfortunately as we get older, as you know, your body generates Less.

You need to go to the Doctor and tell him/her you have Low Testosterone. Ask for a Script. Best script you can get... Feel like a Man again. :)

If thats not an option then you need to find the best Free-Testostrone supplement. Or you need to work-out like an Animal to incease your natural test production..

Possible side effects are you get horny and possibly wake up with an erection your wife/GF might enjoy. You can get up out of the easy chair with less struggle. You might get back into the hobby of fixing old cars or building bird-houses. B)

In all seriousness though, I think the major drawback is once you start a TRT plan, you may need to keep doing it for life. Say you take test for a couple years, but then either thru changes in Healthcare Availability or financal reasons, you aren't able to maintain it, then you quickly become a much older person in a short amount of time after discontinuing treatment.

You may also not want to pop a pill or get a shot every so often.

As a Fitness Trainer, I understand both sides... and as I get older :rolleyes: It is a tough choice.

Live like a King for 20 years??

Or a Pauper for 30?

Hope that helps a little.

But still, your best bet regardless is to eat healthy, exercise with weights, and investigate supplements that encourage Mens health. Saw Palmetto for Prostate, etc...

Edited by Racoon

Better Health and Vigor, Stronger Bones, Less Depression, Easier Muscle Building and Easier Fat Reduction, Better Insulin Sensitivity...

Return of Sexual Desire?

Saxon Violence

For some of us, prostrate cancer has already made that decision for us. The problem for a lot of men is they have a very slow growing prostrate cancer that does not get diagnosed, because it's not causing any noticeable problem. For these men TRT can cause their slow prostrate cancer to become a lot more aggressive. Not a very good trade off. Oh! Wait, you might be able to get in on one of those class actions suits in the Bad Drug commercials and maybe your relatives will get a bonus check after your gone. :blink:

Edited by arKane

• 4 weeks later...

Return of Sexual Desire?

Saxon Violence

Um, I have to wonder why "b" is so horrible? I can only guess this is a bit of a joke. If not, please explain.

I'm 50, been using Androgel on and off for about 8 years. It does result in water retention, and I have particular trouble with it in the summers. Summary:

Women don't understand testosterone and what it does to a man. They can't understand that testosterone is the driving force behind male behavior, and that at times, the behavior produced by testosterone cannot be reasoned with.

All the disclaimers apply here, so don't go nuts. But certainly, it's true that those with high testosterone are often the ones who achieve.

Since getting sick years ago, I produce near zero T. The effect is stunning, immediate and wonderfully smooth when I first started applying androgel. It did not bring about aggressiveness, anger or belligerence. Instead it improved confidence, strength, energy and desire. A passion for life, if you will.

It also changes my view on women. Without it, I view women as pretty, but don't feel much of the attractive pull at all. With it, at normal levels, certain women are amazingly attractive. With it, I also enjoy the company of women much more, and I'm far more likely to overlook annoying personality traits.

I never had any luck with the courtship game.

Or maybe I has the best of luck, I never managed to marry or even hook up for long.

Still, when I was young I felt driven.

As the Rubaiyt puts it:

"Indeed, indeed, Repentance oft before

I swore—but was I sober when I swore?"

I would never condone such a thing...

But in my fifties I now see why some of the Chinese Scholars would have themselves made into Eunuchs so that they could devote themselves wholeheartedly to their Scholarship.

I seem to see so much clearer now that I have little or no interest in sex.

But Wisdom came too late.

Or as the old song has it:

"Everybody Knows the Reason For the Fall

"When Woman Tempted Man Down in Paradise's Hall"

I'm old at 56, Worn Out, On Disability and Getting By on $850/month net.

I don't need to :

A.} Start chasing nubile young fems again;

OR,

B.} Gnash my teeth in frustration because I know pursuit would be futile.

I would rather keep my current state of misery intact.

However, I would welcome more muscle mass, more stamina, less fat and renewed vigor.

Hope that clarifies.

Saxon Violence

Edited by SaxonViolence