Science Forums

In Good Conscious

I read an article by Ray Kurzeil in the 9/12 Discover magazine issue yesterday. The title was "How Infinite In Faculty" The sub-title explains. (Future machines will exhibit a full range of human traits and help answer one of science's most important questions: What is consciousness?)

The article poses the question that if in the future you encountered a robot or avatar. She speaks to you and you are convinced she is conscious. In her emotional reactions, fears, and her longings. In every way she convinces you that she is a conscious being.

The article asks when faced with destruction she responds as a human would with terror. Would you respond in an empathetic way? The same way you would react to save a human? The author suggests yes, most people would act to save her. Looking at it from that point of view I would have to agree with him.

After some thought I considered what if the consciousness was in the form of a desk top computer? Is it the shape of the delivery system, or the consciouness itself that would cause us to react? If your smart phone was conscious would you treat it the same way you do now? Leaving it in the car all day by accident, letting the battery run down, dropping it in a sink of water while doing the dishes etc.. :(

I heartily believe that many "So-Called" Inanimate Objects posses consciousness and feelings.

There is no way to prove or disprove my thesis, but I believe it.

I treat Weapons and often used and highly useful Tools with Respect and Affection—and I Grieve when they're lost, broken or worn out.

If they could talk aloud to me, per your illustration, I would probably be more inclined to treat them as Friends.

Saxon Violence