Science Forums

Iron Electron Sequence 2 8 14 2 Or 2 8 8 8 Inside A Star

sunshaker

I was wondering about the electron sequence of iron, which is 2 8 14 2,

Then i thought that once stars produce iron it signals their death,

Would it be possible with a star of a certain mass, To change this sequence to 2 8 8 8, making it a noble type element which can nolonger react?

I ask this as i have tried to extend the periodic table, and as we know, it all follows a sequence, and in that sequence iron is 2 8 8 8,

I see this sequence as what the elements are before they expand within our space/time.

file to big, smaller version

http://alphaomegadotme.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/period-table-element-expandedtwinda.xls

Edited by sunshaker

Then i thought that once stars produce iron it signals their death,

That’s the consensus theoretical prediction, well supported by experimental and observational data.

Stars can, of course, produce heavier elements than iron – if not, there would be no heavier elements in the universe – but they do as the fusion of elements heavier than iron takes more energy than it releases, so can’t be sustained for long. The end of a sufficiently massive star in a supernova explosion is brief (on the order of 100 days), with the fusion energy deficit met by gravitational potential energy, which is reduced as the “dying star” collapses due to lack of radiation pressure to keep it “inflated”.

Would it be possible with a star of a certain mass, To change this sequence to 2 8 8 8, making it a noble type element which can nolonger react?

I can’t imagine how.

Electron arrangements are essentially quantum mechanical geometric effects, having to do with the lengths of their orbits matching those of the quantum waveforms of the electrons. Differences in gravitational force – what distinguishes low from high mass stars – doesn’t have much if anything to do with this.

Stars are mostly about nuclear fusion, in which only nucleons, not electrons, play an important role, where the material tends to be in a plasma state, the electrons separated from the nuclei.

:(

This link is broken. The “…” needs to be replaced with the actual text of the URL.

I understand what you say,

It was when i was looking into neutron stars, and came across "electron degenerate matter", where it states electrons are compressed to their lowest energy levels, which i took to mean that each shell would contain the optimum electrons, and as i believe 8 is the opt for the valence shell,

But as i am told electrons combine with the protons and become neutrons,

I just thought there may be a "moment" where the electrons change their shell sequence to 2888, As i know electrons can change shells when they gain or lose energy,

As electrons furthest from the nucleus have most energy, Led me to think that perhaps iron starts out with the sequence 2 8 8 8 but this energy is used up almost immediately so 6 electrons fall back to the next shell leaving 2 8 14 2.

I still believe there is a process or a time where iron could have this sequence, as it seems the optimum electron sequence for this element.

Any ideas would be appreciated.