Science Forums

Drawing Software

___I use a drawing program called Canvas by Deneba for my math & geometry drawings as it has both painting & CAD features. I have a very early version (3. something) & the newest version I hear has 3-d capability.

___Anyone else use this Canvas software or know of it? If not, what software do you use for drawings. graphs, geometry etc.? ;)

I use a variety of software.

I use mostly TurboCad for 2D and 3D CAD drawings and modeling.

For general coloring and effects I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro and Animation Shop. I also like Gimp for some of it's features, particularly some of the effects plugins. I also have the Corel Draw Suite.

___Thanks guys. As you may have guessed, I have primarily my Katabatak graphs in mind in regard to drawing software. Here I need both the colors & CAD type operations such as snap to grid, grouping, counting objects etc.

___I did talk to Deneba Software last year & they are up to version 8.0 for Canvas. Alas, it will not run on my old machine or even read my already existing files. This machine is not mine & I can't put software on it either.

___Anyway, I thought to see what others use with these capabilities in case Santa finds me deserving this coming season. ;) No one mentioned using Canvas; have you all even heard of it? Thanks again. ;)

Get a machine a Ghz or more slower than the top speed, it will save you scads of money that you can then use to splurge on Mathematica, which is what you really want Turtle.... Its not CAD at all, but gets you to the 3d images you want much faster when you're starting from mathematical models. For CAD, I've always gone with various versions of AutoCAD, but its insanely expensive and overkill for what you want. I've done some work with Truespace, but a lot has happened in the 5 years since I touched any of this stuff....

Cheers,

Buffy

___Thanks Buff. Do you think Mathematica is compatible with Katabataika? ;) In creating these graphs, I have done the math & drawing seperate. Canvas has worked well for constructing the 2-d graphs by placing (snapping to grid) colored squares in their appropriate positions; in order to construct the 3-d graphs I need to be able to place colored cubes similarly. ;)

might i also suggenst blender? the thing is, if yuou are modeling something in 2-3D why not use 3D modeling software made for modelling to accomplish the task? make it all on a plane and your model is 2d, but if you feel like expanind into 3d, you can already use the layed out grid to espand into a new dimension. there's also Studio Tools made by Alias, those were designed to design cars and have the most amazing effects and features, but you'll probably need something like a g4 to run the soft, but once again, there are amazing features to the program, so i'd check it out also :)

___Thanks Buff. Do you think Mathematica is compatible with Katabataika? ;) In creating these graphs, I have done the math & drawing seperate. Canvas has worked well for constructing the 2-d graphs by placing (snapping to grid) colored squares in their appropriate positions; in order to construct the 3-d graphs I need to be able to place colored cubes similarly. :)

I would say it probably is but Mathematica is also about $2K. It wouldn't be worth it just for the drawing capability when TurboCad will do the drawing you want to do for about $130. There is also a free trial available for download.

I would say it probably is but Mathematica is also about $2K. It wouldn't be worth it just for the drawing capability when TurboCad will do the drawing you want to do for about $130...
I'd agree with C1ay: its overkill, but gosh is it fun to play with, and I hear its much better now that the early versions I played with...

Cheers,

Buffy

___I do like to play! Oh to have access to powerfull software & computers!

___It's sounding like that TurboCad may fit my needs & budget down the line, but it may not work on the old machine I have which is a pentium 200Mghz & running Windows 95. :)

___I'm still curious if any of you have even heard of Canvas? When I bought my copy in 93-94 I got it for $25 by getting 25 of my salepeople to buy in on a special purchase from Deneba. I think then it normally sold for $300 - $400. When I called a few months ago to Deneba they said an upgrade to version 8.0 would run me $150.

___Thanks for all the input; chalk me up for now as 'just looking'. :)

There we go, someone else agrees with me... Hey GHAD, have you used Blender at all?

Turtle, yes, i have heard of Canvas, and i've used Canvas Pro for a while (well for certain things) I think what you really need is a new PC, not a new piece of software. For some $350 you can get a full Athlon 2400 (2.0ghz) box (Asus A7N8X-VM/400 board) (80 gig drive, 256 ram DDR 333, 16x DVD rom, Nvidia MX 4000 (64 meg) graphics, sound and everything (note no floppy), assembled and waranteed (1 year))

http://www.pcusa.com/shopKitConfig.asp?id=KIT-200

Install Linux (any distro, probably Ubuntu be the best) use free software (Gimp, Blender) and since you are a math person, also latex, which has an awesome math libraries, makes your equations look 10x better then in any other math equation program out there (except for those running off of latex...) I mean its your call, win will run decently (althought thats an oxymoron) on that machine too, so, but in any case, you will have a box that will be capable of handling all of the software mentioned above, so, just throwing a thought in :)

___Thanks Alexander! That sounds affordable if I save up a few months. I saved up a couple of yeas agor $400 to buy a large format inkjet (up to 13x19) for my graphs. I do have some files on floppys but my roomy still has a machine with a floppy & a writable CD so I may still salvage them; most are basic programs that I son't care to retype. :)

There we go, someone else agrees with me... Hey GHAD, have you used Blender at all?

I used it for a few months before getting my hands on a copy of 3DS max 5.0, never went back. Recently Ii traded in my max 5 for max 7 and found out the new program won't run on my macheine so I'm in limbo untill I upgrade.