Science Forums

Main Points In Arguing Any Issue?

pljames

What are the main points in arguing ones beliefs. Why I am so fanatical about arguing every point I don't know. Is there a way to be understood without question? Not everyone agrees on ones beliefs. Is compromise an answer or debate each point or what? Philosophy to me is the original thought about human nature next to psychology. Not all disciplines are black and white or apples and oranges. It seems hard to persuade another about questioning there beliefs.

It was once thought the Earth went around the sun not vice versa. Would ones opinion make for a better argument than the argument itself? Paul

What are the main points in arguing ones beliefs. Why I am so fanatical about arguing every point I don't know. Is there a way to be understood without question? Not everyone agrees on ones beliefs. Is compromise an answer or debate each point or what? Philosophy to me is the original thought about human nature next to psychology. Not all disciplines are black and white or apples and oranges. It seems hard to persuade another about questioning there beliefs.

It was once thought the Earth went around the sun not vice versa. Would ones opinion make for a better argument than the argument itself? Paul

Arguing with someone about beliefs is always a fools errand... I like to stick to supportable evidence, i stay away from philosophy as much as possible but even in things that are supported by facts many people seem to mistake belief with knowledge as if really really really believing something equates to knowing it...

Umm did I read that last sentence correctly?

it becomes more and more apparent that the main point of arguing any issue is to make oneself look like a genius and one's 'opponent' to look like a fool.

I honestly don't look at it that way, I've learned quite a bit from losing arguments, in fact I've probably learned more from losing than winning but the debate makes you look for information to support your position and that can result in you winning and learning... It's never my intent to make anyone look foolish, they generally do that on their own... <_<

Right. I'm going to try to get to grips with your thought processes, which to this humble (?) outsider seem very confused, rmabling and ultimately pointless.

What are the main points in arguing ones beliefs.
I suggest the following:

1. Why are you arguing your belief? To convert others to those beliefs? To justify your actions? To justify your beliefs? To help formulate and adapt your beliefs?

2. What exactly are your beliefs?

3. How do they match up to other philosophies or belief systems?

4. How did you arrive at them?

5. How much do they differ from those of your fellow debators?

6. How will you structure your argument?

7. What are the probable objections you will encounter? How will you deal with these?

8. How will you identify success? At what point will you abandon the debate?

Comments?

Why I am so fanatical about arguing every point I don't know.

Possible reasons:

1. You are naturally argumentative.

2. You are playing Devil's Advocate.

3. You find any challenge to your view diminshes your self confidence.

4. You are sure you are correct and are offended that others should hold wrong ideas.

5. etc

Comments?

Is there a way to be understood without question?
No, but there is a way to be understood with question. Ask about what a term, or concept means to you audience. Ask if they understand your thesis. Ask if they understand your motives. Ask.

Not everyone agrees on ones beliefs.
That feels like it may be a vast understatement.

Is compromise an answer or debate each point or what?
I refer you back to an earlier point: who are you debating, what is your objective, how far apart are you and the others?

Philosophy to me is the original thought about human nature next to psychology.
This sentence is ungrammatical and ambiguous.

Not all disciplines are black and white or apples and oranges.
Can you name any that are? Together with the quote two quotes back I begin to sense some naivety? Are you young? (Not a problem if you are. Most people grow out of it.)

It seems hard to persuade another about questioning there beliefs.

Why do you suppose that is? Do you think it may be that some people are comfortable with their beliefs? Do you think some people may find it presumptuous for someone to suggest they question their beliefs? Do you think people who do question their beliefs may resent someone apparently assuming they do not?

It was once thought the Earth went around the sun not vice versa.
This is the generally held view today.

Would ones opinion make for a better argument than the argument itself?
Self evidently that would depend upon the opinion and upon the argument.