Science Forums

Http://www.grammarly.com/download/chrome

pljames

Please advise me on this new English software.

Google Grammarly Lite seems to work nicely - provided, of course, that you're using the Google Chrome browser - about the same as the kind found in word processors like Microsoft Word.

Downsides include that it has poor keyboard support (like much of Chrome, mousing is necessary), that it's not sensitive to markup language, and that Chrome is less configurable and easily configurable than many other popular browsers.

Like those and other spelling and grammar checkers, it's no substitute for good English writing style, which has both a technical and an artistic component. While there's no single prescription for learning to write well in any language, I think a combination of academic study (for example, of Strunk and White's famous The Elements of Style), reading with attention to style of acclaimed good writing (nominees and winners of major book awards are good sources), and most importantly, according to most good writers, practice.

Craig,

Thanks for returning my question. What is the tone emphasis and all that mean when writing? I want to be understood but because of what the writer said and meant plus what the reader understood are two different meanings. How can I know the reader understood what I wrote without interpreting what the writer thought he said? Paul

Google Grammarly Lite seems to work nicely - provided, of course, that you're using the Google Chrome browser - about the same as the kind found in word processors like Microsoft Word.

Downsides include that it has poor keyboard support (like much of Chrome, mousing is necessary), that it's not sensitive to markup language, and that Chrome is less configurable and easily configurable than many other popular browsers.

Like those and other spelling and grammar checkers, it's no substitute for good English writing style, which has both a technical and an artistic component. While there's no single prescription for learning to write well in any language, I think a combination of academic study (for example, of Strunk and White's famous The Elements of Style), reading with attention to style of acclaimed good writing (nominees and winners of major book awards are good sources), and most importantly, according to most good writers, practice.