Science Forums

A Little Rant On The World Today

arkain101

I regret to say I found your thesis rather disjointed and unclear, and your premises were often ambiguous or contradictory. Perhaps you have an important point to make, but it is present obscured by these limitations. In the hope that it may help you to clrarify your exposition, here are a couple of examples.

A new idea can always be viewed as wrong until it's time has come.

This is rather trite - and therefore of limited value. Perhaps more to the point it can be challenged, so the bald assertion does not tend to carry your reader with you. Some evidence for the claim would be welcome.

The longer an idea expands in fruition, the larger the establishment that follows behind it and supports it.

This is exceedingly vague and consequently at best ambiguous and at worst incomprehensible. How can an idea expand in fruition? Fruition is the final act in the process towards a goal: expansion preceeds it. Surely it is only after we have had the fruit for some time can we be said to have an establishment? And so on. It makes no sense.

A new idea therefore has to begin as something small like an ant and compete against its rival establishment. These establishments can be seen as physical forms, like buildings and symbols. However, they can also be systems of thought like religion, science, theories, organizations, universities, and so on.

I am having trouble understanding how an idea competes with buildings. Even more trouble with how a symbol is a physical form. The problem that appears to exist throughout is a very loose use of undefined terms. It makes understanding difficult and agreement impossible.

I could continue dissecting the rest of your post, but I hope I have done enough to express my reservations. What are your thoughts? Can you try providing a concise synopsis, with well defined terms?

From the title of the thread, I gather that the OP is a bit of a 'rant' and therefore subject to some degree of lack of cohesion, and so I accept it as such.

The existing model of society is far from acceptable in many parts of the world and the economic model of 'growth' cannot continued forever on a planet with finite resources, not all of which are renewable.

The seeds of a need for change have been scattered some time previously and there is a growing awareness that we shall have to change but great uncertainty as to what form and direction these changes should take. Recognizing that we have made numerous errors in the past, it is of greater importance to move forward and plan how to deal with challenge rather than to cower in uncertainty and despair as change comes to pass regardless.

Change is inevitable and it does not always present as a tidal wave, sweeping aside everything in it's path. Very often, it can be a gradual awareness that seeps in and saturates slowly, even as a dripping faucet will eventually form a large puddle.

In either case, you will eventually get your feet wet... ;)

From the title of the thread, I gather that the OP is a bit of a 'rant' and therefore subject to some degree of lack of cohesion, and so I accept it as such.

The existing model of society is far from acceptable in many parts of the world and the economic model of 'growth' cannot continued forever on a planet with finite resources, not all of which are renewable.

The seeds of a need for change have been scattered some time previously and there is a growing awareness that we shall have to change but great uncertainty as to what form and direction these changes should take. Recognizing that we have made numerous errors in the past, it is of greater importance to move forward and plan how to deal with challenge rather than to cower in uncertainty and despair as change comes to pass regardless.

Change is inevitable and it does not always present as a tidal wave, sweeping aside everything in it's path. Very often, it can be a gradual awareness that seeps in and saturates slowly, even as a dripping faucet will eventually form a large puddle.

In either case, you will eventually get your feet wet... ;)

Exactly!!! Now your getting it.