Some Fun With Maths

Aethelwulf

I don't think so. Starting with post #1's

[math]\frac{kr}{m} - S + (\frac{5}{ab} - \frac{3}{b^2})= T[/math]

I get

[math]k = \frac{m(T +S -\frac{5}{ab} +\frac{3}{b^2} )}{r} [/math]

Substituting the givens [imath]a=2, b=2, r=20[/imath] and simplifying, that's

[math]k = \frac{m(2T +2S -1)}{40}[/math]

Evaluating the original equation with sample values for the m, T, S, and k calculated with my result checks out. Using your doesn't. I think you've erred, Aetherwolf.

No no, you must solve the paranthesis first. Brackets first, always. Then simplify the rest.

That's not right. the value of [math]a[/math] is what gave other people problems as well. Also, that is not how you simplfy what is inside the paranthesis.

The way you divide a number by a fraction is like this

[math]6 \frac{2}{\frac{4}{8}} = 6\frac{2}{\frac{8}{4}} = \frac{6 \cdot 2 \cdot 8}{4} = 24[/math]

this looks incorrect as written. :ideamaybenot: you must first convert the mixed fraction [math]6 \frac{2}{4}[/math] to the fractional form [math] \frac{26}{4}[/math]. then invert the

denominator, [math] \frac{8}{1}[/math] to [math] \frac{1}{8}[/math] and then multiply the

numerator by the inverted denominator [math] \frac{26}{4}[/math]*[math] \frac{1}{8}[/math] = [math] \frac{26}{32}[/math] = [math] \frac{13}{16}[/math]

So when you divide a number by a fraction, you have to flip the fraction around. So let's go back to our example

[math]a = \sqrt{\frac{4 \cdot 154}{\frac{22}{7}}}[/math]

swap the fraction round

[math]a = \sqrt{\frac{4 \cdot 154}{\frac{7}{22}}}[/math]

calculate

[math]4 \cdot 154 \cdot 7 / 22 = 196[/math]

Take the square root of this and it is 14.

i agree that to divide a fraction by a fraction, you invert the denominator and multiply by the numerator. "flip the fraction around" is inadequate terminology for the operation imho.

so ...

[math]a = \sqrt{\frac{\frac{616}{1}}{\frac{22}{7}}}[/math]

[math]a = \sqrt{\frac{616}{1}}*{\frac{7}{22}}[/math]

[math]a = \sqrt{\frac{4312}{22}}[/math]

[math]a = \sqrt{196}[/math]

[math]a = 14[/math]

so, i agree with you on this result. :agree:

i haven't plugged that in to solve for k, but will check with all due haste. :turtle:

Edited by Turtle

here's a problem for you wulfy et al. :dog: i haven't worked it out yet myself, but i need it & will get to it soon enough. :turtle: in the mean time it's fun with maths. :xparty:

for the following ordered list, write a generating expression in 1 variable x, indexed for x={1,2,3 ...}.

{28,52,84,124,172,228,...}

:smart:

No no, you must solve the paranthesis first. Brackets first, always. Then simplify the rest.

No, addition is associative, so the equation

[math] \frac{kr}{m} - S + (\frac{5}{ab} - \frac{3}{b^2})= T [/math]

may validly be rewritten

[math] \frac{kr}{m} - S + \frac{5}{ab} - \frac{3}{b^2}= T [/math]

or any other grouping, such as

[math] \frac{kr}{m} +( -S + \frac{5}{ab}) - \frac{3}{b^2}= T [/math]

Aethelwolf, your solution (which just means a desired rearrangement),

[math]k = m(T + S) -1[/math]

is simply wrong for the initial equation you gave.

As with any arithmetic equation, this can be show by evaluating the initial and candidate solution equations with the same values for each variable. For example, evaluating one side the initial equation for

[imath]a=14, b=2, r=20, k=3, m=4, S=5[/imath]

gives

[math]\frac{3 \cdot 20}{4} - 5 + (\frac{5}{2 \cdot 14} - \frac{3}{2^2}) = \frac{66}{7}[/math]

so chosing

[imath]T=\frac{66}{7}[/imath]

gives a collection of values for the variables for which the initial equation is true. Any correct rearrangement for the equation must be true for the same values.

Candidate solution

[math] k = \frac{m(7T +7S +4)}{140} [/math]

evaluates, via

[math] 3 = \frac{4(7 \cdot \frac{66}{7} +7 \cdot 5 +4)}{140} [/math]

to

[math]3 =3 [/math]

which is true. :thumbs_up We can't say with certainty from this check the solution is correct, but the check does not show it to be incorrect. (Though, because it involved only simple algebra I rarely make mistakes with, I'm confident it's correct)

Candidate solution

evaluates via

[math]3 = 4(\frac{66}{7} + 5) -1[/math]

to

[math]3 = \frac{397}{7}[/math]

which is false. :thumbs_do We can say with certainty from this check that the solution is incorrect.

You must have made a mistake in you algebra. :( If you show your steps, we can show you where you did. :)

Edited by CraigD
Replaces incorrect given a=2 with correct a=14

No, addition is associative, so the equation

[math] \frac{kr}{m} - S + (\frac{5}{ab} - \frac{3}{b^2})= T [/math]

may validly be rewritten

[math] \frac{kr}{m} - S + \frac{5}{ab} - \frac{3}{b^2}= T [/math]

or any other grouping, such as

[math] \frac{kr}{m} +( -S + \frac{5}{ab}) - \frac{3}{b^2}= T [/math]

Aethelwolf, your solution (which just means a desired rearrangement),

is simply wrong for the initial equation you gave.

As with any arithmetic equation, this can be show by evaluating the initial and candidate solution equations with the same values for each variable. For example, evaluating one side the initial equation for

[imath]a=2, b=2, r=20, k=3, m=4, S=5[/imath]

gives

[math]\frac{3 \cdot 20}{4} - 5 + (\frac{5}{2 \cdot 2} - \frac{3}{2^2}) = \frac{21}{2}[/math]

so chosing

[imath]T=\frac{21}{2}[/imath]

gives a collection of values for the variables for which the initial equation is true. Any correct rearrangement for the equation must be true for the same values.

Candidate solution

[math] k = \frac{m(2T +2S -1)}{40} [/math]

evaluates, via

[math] 3 = \frac{4(2 \cdot \frac{21}{2} +2 \cdot 5 -1)}{40} [/math]

to

[math]3 =3 [/math]

which is true. :thumbs_up We can't say with certainty from this check the solution is correct, but the check does not show it to be incorrect. (Though, because it involved only simple algebra I rarely make mistakes with, I'm confident it's correct)

Candidate solution

evaluates via

[math]3 = 4(\frac{21}{2} + 5) -1[/math]

to

[math]3 = 61[/math]

which is false. :thumbs_do We can say with certainty from this check that the solution is incorrect.

You must have made a mistake in you algebra. :( If you show your steps, we can show you where you did. :)

I have no idea how you get any of this. You are fantastically wrong. If you just simplify the fractions like I showed you how, plugged in the values for the knowns, then end up with a fraction of numbers simplifying to 1, the equation simplifies itself nice and sweet.

I have no idea, where these calculations of yours are coming from, but you are making overly difficult by sure.

here's a problem for you wulfy et al. :dog: i haven't worked it out yet myself, but i need it & will get to it soon enough. :turtle: in the mean time it's fun with maths. :xparty:

for the following ordered list, write a generating expression in 1 variable x, indexed for x={1,2,3 ...}.

{28,52,84,124,172,228,...}

:smart:

A generating function with x increasing as (1,2,3...n), so somthing like

[math]g(x) = \sum_{x = (1,2,3..n. )}^{\infty} a_n \cdot x[/math]

Which isn't your ordinary generating function since x is not squared. If you can find an easy solution to this, good for you. Right now I don't see one.

When you have a fraction of the form

[math](\frac{5}{ab} - \frac{3}{b^2})[/math]

And in an initial problem asked to simplify it, you really should simplify, not plug in numbers like Craig keeps doing, and leaving it in this form. To simplify it, one gets

[math](\frac{5}{ab} - \frac{3}{b^2}) = \frac{5b - 3a}{ab^2}[/math]

This is not a ''desired'' form as such, it is really the basics of simplifying fractions. Algebra even.

this looks incorrect as written. :ideamaybenot: you must first convert the mixed fraction [math]6 \frac{2}{4}[/math] to the fractional form [math] \frac{26}{4}[/math]. then invert the

denominator, [math] \frac{8}{1}[/math] to [math] \frac{1}{8}[/math] and then multiply the

numerator by the inverted denominator [math] \frac{26}{4}[/math]*[math] \frac{1}{8}[/math] = [math] \frac{26}{32}[/math] = [math] \frac{13}{16}[/math]

You made a mistake here. There is nothing ''mixed'' about this fraction, we are dividing a whole number by a fraction, the same rule as before.

Look at my example again:

[math]6 \frac{2}{\frac{4}{8}} = 6\frac{2}{\frac{8}{4}} = \frac{6 \cdot 2 \cdot 8}{4} = 24[/math]

check this example with the original OP example

They are identical, you can't say me solving the latter here is correct but then claim the other one is wrong.

A generating function with x increasing as (1,2,3...n), so somthing like

[math]g(x) = \sum_{x = (1,2,3..n. )}^{\infty} a_n \cdot x[/math]

Which isn't your ordinary generating function since x is not squared. If you can find an easy solution to this, good for you. Right now I don't see one.

did you write "since x is not squared" because you didn't square x, or did you think i meant you weren't allowed to square x? do whatever you like to x by all means. :smart:

Edited by Turtle

Look at my example again:

check this example with the original OP example

They are identical, you can't say me solving the latter here is correct but then claim the other one is wrong.

whatever you intend, [math]6 \frac{2}{\frac{4}{8}} = 6\frac{2}{\frac{8}{4}} = \frac{6 \cdot 2 \cdot 8}{4} = 24[/math] does not read well; it is ambiguous in the first form whether 6 is a multiplier or part of a mixed fraction. don't worry yourself further by any means. :shrug:

Edited by Turtle