Science Forums

Philosophy The Love Of Wisdom.

pljames

The love of wisdom is philosophy. Philosophy is questions and answers plus arguments about different perceptions of knowledge. The dictionary states there are many synonyms for the word love and wisdom and even about perceiving. From who's viewpoint or argument will convince the other person they are right or wrong? How do you convince another that's color blind the sun is yellow? The word love has two meanings one material one spiritual. I love my car. I love my wife. About the word wisdom. Is wisdom common sense rational reasoning innate understanding or intuition?

To me the word wisdom means to understand totally without doubt or question. Was the question misleading to the reader or vice versa? What is truth? It would seem the word truth is understood differently by everyone. Therefore there is not one truth but many opinions. When did ones opinion over ride the truth? Thoughts please. pljames

The Old Greek Philosophers—as well as many Oriental Philosophers asked simple and pertinent questions like:

"What is Good?"

"How should a man live?"

Even,

"What is real and how do we know?"

As time went on, Formal Philosophy became a matter of squabbling endlessly about Semantics.

One can't read Kant, Hegel or others of their ilk, with any degree of ease. Each one builds on the work of his predecessors and if you haven't studied each preceding Philosopher—more than read, largely memorized—then what they're saying is largely incomprehensible.

But today we have Pop Philosophers and some of them are very wise.

Robert Pirsig, Robert Ringer, Emerson, Thoreau, Ayn Rand, Theodore Spurgeon, Jeff Cooper.....

Me!

I have a book on Formal Logic wherein, in relation to non-formal debate the Author says: At some point, as someone refuses to be persuaded, the emphasis shifts from the Soundness of one's Proofs to the Sanity of one's Listener.

But no one is ever 100% Objective—even when they try to be and everyone has an Agenda.

Remember the slogan on the "X Files":

"The Truth is out There."

If we disagree about the Height of Mt Everest or the circumference of the Earth,

The truth is "out there", inasmuch as Mt Everest and the Earth are both available for firsthand measurement.

But I haven't the wherewithal to travel to Tibet, nor do I have the skill to accurately Survey the Mountain—so if I don't trust the 2nd hand data,

The Truth is out there but it is largely unknown and unknowable.

Arguing about anything that involves counts and inventories and polls and statistics.....

Remember that counts are largely done by folks who are at the Bottom of the Scrotum Pole. They hate their job. They hate their boss. They don't give a Rat's Derriere about whatever it is they're supposed to be counting.....

And I imagine that almost everyone has resorted to a bit of "Workplace Sabotage" occasionally when bored spritzless.....

So how accurate can those things possibly be?

So far as the Sun being yellow:

If I were born Blind, the Sun isn't yellow. It isn't any color at all.

In fact, "Color" itself is a Null-Concept.

"Color" is a Delusion that sighted people must contend with...

Saxon Violence

Guest MacPhee

The love of wisdom is philosophy. Philosophy is questions and answers plus arguments about different perceptions of knowledge. The dictionary states there are many synonyms for the word love and wisdom and even about perceiving. From who's viewpoint or argument will convince the other person they are right or wrong? How do you convince another that's color blind the sun is yellow? The word love has two meanings one material one spiritual. I love my car. I love my wife. About the word wisdom. Is wisdom common sense rational reasoning innate understanding or intuition?

To me the word wisdom means to understand totally without doubt or question. Was the question misleading to the reader or vice versa? What is truth? It would seem the word truth is understood differently by everyone. Therefore there is not one truth but many opinions. When did ones opinion over ride the truth? Thoughts please. pljames

To me "wisdom" essentially means "the love of finding out how things work, and understanding why". And moreover - "caring about finding out, and thinking it to be important."

Scientists, engineers, philosophers, and even some writers, especially SF writers, share this love.

Unfortunately most humans don't. They just want to eat, drink, copulate and fight.

Isn't that why history is so tragic?

• 3 weeks later...

MacFee,

"To me "wisdom" essentially means "the love of finding out how things work, and understanding why". And moreover - "caring about finding out, and thinking it to be important.".

o

Excellent post. My favorite disciplines are philosophy psychology and theology to name a few. But I have a question concerning philosophy. If one does not believe in and does not live there philosophy, what have they gained? Understanding philosophy or any discipline is good and wise but not to use it or sharing it is futile. In using it one becomes the living essence of what they believe. Not sharing it is foolishness. Thoughts please. pljames

The Old Greek Philosophers—as well as many Oriental Philosophers asked simple and pertinent questions like:

"What is Good?"

"How should a man live?"

Even,

"What is real and how do we know?"

As time went on, Formal Philosophy became a matter of squabbling endlessly about Semantics.

One can't read Kant, Hegel or others of their ilk, with any degree of ease. Each one builds on the work of his predecessors and if you haven't studied each preceding Philosopher—more than read, largely memorized—then what they're saying is largely incomprehensible.

But today we have Pop Philosophers and some of them are very wise.

Robert Pirsig, Robert Ringer, Emerson, Thoreau, Ayn Rand, Theodore Spurgeon, Jeff Cooper.....

Me!

I have a book on Formal Logic wherein, in relation to non-formal debate the Author says: At some point, as someone refuses to be persuaded, the emphasis shifts from the Soundness of one's Proofs to the Sanity of one's Listener.

But no one is ever 100% Objective—even when they try to be and everyone has an Agenda.

Remember the slogan on the "X Files":

"The Truth is out There."

If we disagree about the Height of Mt Everest or the circumference of the Earth,

The truth is "out there", inasmuch as Mt Everest and the Earth are both available for firsthand measurement.

But I haven't the wherewithal to travel to Tibet, nor do I have the skill to accurately Survey the Mountain—so if I don't trust the 2nd hand data,

The Truth is out there but it is largely unknown and unknowable.

Arguing about anything that involves counts and inventories and polls and statistics.....

Remember that counts are largely done by folks who are at the Bottom of the Scrotum Pole. They hate their job. They hate their boss. They don't give a Rat's Derriere about whatever it is they're supposed to be counting.....

And I imagine that almost everyone has resorted to a bit of "Workplace Sabotage" occasionally when bored spritzless.....

So how accurate can those things possibly be?

So far as the Sun being yellow:

If I were born Blind, the Sun isn't yellow. It isn't any color at all.

In fact, "Color" itself is a Null-Concept.

"Color" is a Delusion that sighted people must contend with...

Saxon Violence

Truth? In one sense truth is relative...you need to interprete to understand...so the truth is relative to the interpretation...but there the relativity stops? ...when it is understood what it is to examine for truth then the result is "absolute"! ...however isnt there the possibility that one misinterpretes the result? well...there might always remain doubtful results ...I suggest that we adopt the PRINCIPLE that truth is absolute...we dont expect it to be consistently proven false!! (he he)

EDIT:

Outlining the theory of truth let me tell a short story:

Aristotle and Epimenides is sitting at the camp fire:

A: True is the statement that tells it like it is!

E: Right now Im not telling it as it is!

Edited by sigurdV

Thinking,

So truth is relative to the writer believer thinker only? Can there also be truths? Cannot truth be individual as well as truths as a whole. Opinion just assumes it might be true for the sake of the believer might be wrong? Unless I am blind or color blind the sun to be is a bright yellow. Would that constitute truth to me?

And if a bunch of folks like me are sighted as well does that as well constitute truths? If five people have there hands on a stove and feel the heat is that a group truth? So there's a individual truth and group truths.

I see and believe, what must I do to convince or persuade I see and believe to those who don't? Paul

Truth? In one sense truth is relative...you need to interprete to understand...so the truth is relative to the interpretation...but there the relativity stops? ...when it is understood what it is to examine for truth then the result is "absolute"! ...however isnt there the possibility that one misinterpretes the result? well...there might always remain doubtful results ...I suggest that we adopt the PRINCIPLE that truth is absolute...we dont expect it to be consistently proven false!! (he he)

EDIT:

Outlining the theory of truth let me tell a short story:

Aristotle and Epimenides is sitting at the camp fire:

A: True is the statement that tells it like it is!

E: Right now Im not telling it as it is!