Science Forums

What Did The Mars Rover Find?

Deepwater6

http://www.space.com/18626-nasa-mars-rover-secret-discovery-speculation.html

I'm sure they are triple checking the data before they make a claim, but it sounds like they have found something that may strongly suggest that life has existed on at least one other planet in our universe. (complex organic compounds) At least that's my call. Anybody else want to guess at what they found? :unsure:

Dagnabit – I was too busy to post my guess on this then DeepWater posted it a couple of days ago, and have now been beaten to it by a slew of decently researched news articles! :(

By all credible accounts, the belief that a “history making” discovery had been made by Curiosity last week, and was awaiting due diligence from its science teams before publication, was a simple misunderstanding of 11/20 interview remarks by Curiosity principle investigator John Grotzinger, and runaway, hyped science fan rumor.

Grotzinger and other Curiosity teamfolk intended to communicate, in the 11/20 interview in subsequent posts attempting to quell misunderstanding, that the entirety of the data from the Curiosity’s best-ever instruments, “is gonna be one for the history books”, not that a specific recent finding was.

There are lots of articles explaining this, such as this slashgear one

Nothing to see here but humdrum regular science from a giant semi-autonomous robot on another planet – move along now! ;)

Dagnabit – I was too busy to post my guess on this then DeepWater posted it a couple of days ago, and have now been beaten to it by a slew of decently researched news articles! :(

By all credible accounts, the belief that a “history making” discovery had been made by Curiosity last week, and was awaiting due diligence from its science teams before publication, was a simple misunderstanding of 11/20 interview remarks by Curiosity principle investigator John Grotzinger, and runaway, hyped science fan rumor.

Grotzinger and other Curiosity teamfolk intended to communicate, in the 11/20 interview in subsequent posts attempting to quell misunderstanding, that the entirety of the data from the Curiosity’s best-ever instruments, “is gonna be one for the history books”, not that a specific recent finding was.

There are lots of articles explaining this, such as this slashgear one

Nothing to see here but humdrum regular science from a giant semi-autonomous robot on another planet – move along now! ;)

LOL-LOL-LOL funny stuff nothing to see here and it looks like your correct.

http://www.space.com/18697-mars-rover-curiosity-discovery-rumors.html