Science Forums

3D Screen Laptop

3-D displays using electronically switched glasses, on laptop screens, separate monitors, and stand-alone TV systems have been pretty popular since 2010 or thereabouts.

At present, 3-D displays that don't require glasses seem to be getting most advertising attention. As best I can tell, all mobile phones with 3-d displays are of this kind.

I've seen both kinds, and prefer the kind that use glasses. I have one such display, a large screen, used mainly for entertainment.

why not have a middle of the screen area on a laptop that can display 3d pictures and video's like

Any area of present commercially available screens of these type can simultaneously display either "flat" 2-D or "deep" 3-D images.

Why would you want a screen that was limited to displaying 3-D images only in its middle, BL?

i thought there was a limitation based on the viewing plane and distance from the two eyes, otherwise there would be

a tablet , ipad like device with a 3d camera for recoding 3d pictures and video,

something that would allow a high def 3d panaramic

which in the future could make old photos 3d in a holographic moniter

i thought there was a limitation based on the viewing plane and distance from the two eyes, otherwise there would be

For the “glasses-free” kind, there are viewing angle limitations.

The kind most common in present day TVs and computer monitors, which require electronically switched glassed work well at any lighting, distance, or viewing angle at which the screen is viewable in 2D.

Most of the glasses aren’t a clunky-looking as in the wikipedia article. For example, the ones made for my TV look like this:

They're light, comfortable, work well over your usual glasses if you have to wear them, and IMHO look pretty cool. :)

A drawback with these systems is that they can only be watched in 3D by as many people as you have glasses, which cost around $20. Another is their batteries, which, in the case of mine, last only around 70 hrs, and require a non-rechargeable button cell.