Science Forums

Am I Hoplessly Naive?

Knothead

My dictionary tells me that disingenuous means lacking in candor, frankness or sincerity. I am at a loss to see how a post, structured in an ironic way, yet made from the heart could be consider insincere, or attempting to conceal my thoughts. Perhaps you meant something else, or are using a different dictionary.

Exactly what I meant, but evidently you really see it that way...

1. If an underweight child with no street smarts tries to bully his classroom peers he will be laughed to oblivion. If a muscled, intelligent, aggressive type does the same think he will be resented.

Ummm what does that have to do with the price of eggs in China? I am too dense to get that one...

2. Western culture is equivalent to American culture? Give me a break. Have you been to Europe?

So you don't see the similarities? yes you can see differences between Europe and the USA and between different countries in Europe, even Between different states in the US but that doesn't mean they don't share similar cultures and are getting more and more similar every year.

3. Most conversations I have had with non-Americans will acknowledge that there are many worthy aspects to American culture. I find fewer Americans who will consider the same holds true for other cultures.

Not all Americans are stupid... any more than all Frenchmen are cowards or all English men are stoic... all countries contain stupid people who think their culture is perfect and everyone else is assholes, you need to see past the warts and see the people who don't stand out quite as much.

And in their day those countries were rightly despised. Today America is the only super-power and some of that power is being abused.

And people should keep on pointing that out but killing people over some ******* making fun of someones favorite fairy tale is unacceptable... killing a man over a picture of a another man because of a fairy tale is unacceptable. Terrorist acts are unacceptable, killing apostates is unacceptable, limiting human rights due to religion is unacceptable.. The fact that it is also happening in the US is scary...

Executing the mentally retarded by lethal injection in Texas for alleged crimes is certainly much more cultured. (That's not disingenuous, that's sarcasm.)

You seriously equate the two and that makes stoning to death a woman who drives a car ok? While I agree that Texas was wrong in doing that I don't think it is even close to killing people because of religion... if I was allowed to live anyplace i wanted Texas would not be my first choice but if I lived there I could stand up and tell the Jehovah's Witnesses who are trying to bring the good news they are full of **** with out worrying their leader will sentence me to death.

There is no way to justify the medieval laws written around religion in any country... But in Islamic governed countries any criticism can result in outrageous retribution I will not excuse them for that, their fairy tale is not any better than any other...

• 4 months later...