Science Forums

Use Of The Internet, Truth Tense

belovelife

What sort of lie detection do you mean, BL? Something to authenticate that the person associated with some identifier - username, etc - is whom they say they are, something like an fMRI of the user's brain to detect if they believe what they say is truthful, or something to "fact check" some statements posted by the user? If not one of these, what?

how about a lie detector usb adapter, or one that works on the mouse pad for a laptop

Yes, but repeating my question, what kind of lie detector?

Do you mean some sort of biometric device, such as the fingerprint scanners commonly built into laptops, or available via external devices like this one that connect via a USB port? These are used in “authenticate the person” type “truth detectors” – their purpose is to confirm that the person using the computer is who he or she claims to be.

Or do you mean a system designed to determine that a person is telling the truth when they make a statement or answer a question, such as a polygraph?

If you mean this, I recommend you carefully read the Validity section of the linked wikipedia article, and/or other credible scientific analyses of polygraph lie detectors and summaries of this research.

There’s nearly a unanimous consensus among scientists that, while polygraphs measure stress, they’re results mostly depend on guesses by the expert operating them, and that these guesses are highly subjective. In properly conducted studied, told by a trusted person before a polygraph interview session that the subject is suspected of lying, experienced polygraph testers tend to interpret the polygraph machines data as indicating that the subject is lying. When told the subject is likely truthful, they tend to conclude the subject is truthful. When given no clues, they tend to detect lies little better than chance, or than by interrogators not using a polygraph.

In short, science shows that polygraphs simply don’t work for detecting lies. It doesn’t make much sense, then, to try to base a “telling the truth on the internet” system on this technology.

It’s been suggested that fMRI “brain scanners” may someday be used in effective lie detector systems. The reliability of such systems is currently iffy, however, and all require use of an MRI device, which currently are very large, expensive, machines, into which a subject must be placed, and hold very still for the duration of the test. See here for more.

To what end Belovelife? What are you trying to accomplish with this? Be patient soon enough all humans will probably have chips inserted in their wrists that can be waved in front of scanners to be used as credit cards, phones, tracking devices, and verification. Believe me when the government or any corproration can tell who you are and where you are all the time you'll wish for anonymity again.

depends, while i would be against a chip in my arm or something like that, others may find it useful, like diabetics and the insulin tester that was developed,

while i am in no need for such a thing, i would opt out

but the net is a different thing

i know is difficult to judge honesty and moral judgements just by the use of the internet

but, like for me, i would like to have access to things like gifs of celestial objects through the years

or even be able to look at my own criminal record,

but i have to pay for alot of things

i would like to have access to anyinformation reagrding me

i would like to have access to any information regarding me

For the most part you can if your willing work at it a bit. Anything involving you and the legal system is in the public record. Sometimes you have to go to some trouble to access it, but after you learn what your doing probably not so bad. I would suggest reading some private investigation books. There's 100's of them and they can be had cheaply.

yeah, but i would like to point and click

considering i was in high school when the net happened

i like the ease of data access

The easier it is for you, the easier it is for everybody else. Would you feel okay about everyone you meet is able to check you out in detail all the way back to when you were born? Might not be to long when everybodies genealogy is available for a small fee and who knows how available your medical records will be for a small fee?