Science Forums

Writing Our Own Obituaries

Deepwater6

http://abcnews.go.com/US/written-obituaries-thriving/story?id=17030088

Me thinks just like other things concerning death, people in society don't usually think about what will be said in their obituary. Either that, or they don't want to think about it. Getting your affairs in order before your death is acknowledging your mortality. I think many people believe that if they don't consider the details surrounding their death they will somehow delay it.

Self written obituaries would seem a little egotistical to me. On the other hand, writing them yourself would ensure you include all the people you would want listed as survivor's. As often happens certian family members are left out due to family fighting. A bitter relative could skew your obit. to exclude people they have a have a problem in the family. You could also add any accomplishments you would want known about you if you write it yourself. I'm curious to know does anyone here plan on pre-writing their obituary? Or designate someone to write your obit. upon your death?