Science Forums

Earthquake Resistant Design

My concept for an earthquake resistant construction method called I.R.A.M. Interlocking Reinforced Ashlar Masonry.

This wall design offers freedom of movement during a quake that would damage solid walls.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102044738/Earthquake-Resistant-Design-for-Masonry-Walls-Utilizing-a-Mortar-Less-Construction-System

What do you all think?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have not received much feedback from forums like this, but I have started getting e-mails from civil engineering professionals in the field of earthquake design.

Several professors have shared my paper with others in the field and one is gave all his students a copy for this semester.

So at least I am happy that the word is getting out about my I.R.A.M. masonry system.

• 1 year later...

Not only does it have good properties for dealing with earthquake movement, it also has the ability to deal fairly well with thermal expansion and contraction over long lengths. One might consider a sliding joint at the ends so that there would be no potential of opening a gap between block ends. Interestingly there are ancient stones in South America with a very similar design.