Science Forums

ITunes Problem

Hi, I have about 9500 songs on iTunes, 1GB RAM and 80 GB Hard drive. (Windows XP) - I just added an addtional hard drive (D:) and moved all my music there. I even re-installed itunes there. Since then I have been having problems - there is a lot of disturbance when I play a song in iTunes - the songs keep intermittently pausing.

Can anyone help please? Thanks, Vikas

Well, considering the hard drive is fast enough, the new ones are...Maybe you are having a buffer type problem..You should be able to increase the buffer size, I haven't seen this problem, but there could also be an access problem, if your pc is trying to access other info at the same time, this could give you intermittant playback..I haven't used iTunes for a long time, so I am just adding some considerations...

Well, considering the hard drive is fast enough, the new ones are...Maybe you are having a buffer type problem..You should be able to increase the buffer size, I haven't seen this problem, but there could also be an access problem, if your pc is trying to access other info at the same time, this could give you intermittant playback..I haven't used iTunes for a long time, so I am just adding some considerations...

The hard disk is fast enough. How can I increase the buffer size? Overall too my computer seems to have become quite slow once I put the hard drive in.

Thanks in advance, Vikas

Overall too my computer seems to have become quite slow once I put the hard drive in.

<sneeze>windows</sneeze>

I'm sure that there is some kind of incompattibility, something fighting with something, windows constantly writing to places temp files, etc. I think you need to try to reinstall itunes to the main HD, and use the other hard drive as pre storage, if that doesnt help, perhaps a reinstall of windows will fix the issue, if not, i have no idea what to do... might think of something.

pretty much the reason i said to reinstall itunes to the main hd, is because this is what's going on now:

you have the data for itunes on the secondary drive, but the registry values, which would also include the itunes dependencies, and temp files are all on the other drive, so you have two drives that are being accessed to run one program, and that could perhaps be causing troubles...

The hard disk is fast enough. How can I increase the buffer size? Overall too my computer seems to have become quite slow once I put the hard drive in.

Thanks in advance, Vikas

Well, I don't know how you have the hardrives set up, so the slowing of your computer could be many things...But, here is a link to the Apple website with a couple things about erratic playback....hope this helps.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.689db791.689d6b2f

I would also suggest moving iTunes back to the boot drive....