Science Forums

Why Does Time Fly?

Antti

Yes, the "Dark Energy" may exist but still more usually if the theoretical model do not fit with the experimental observations then this difference is called "error".

Yes but the theory that includes Dark Energy postulates that it represents more energy than all the normal matter in the universe, so its way beyond "error."

Cheers,

Buffy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Dark Energy? Has it been tested?
Its the measurable effect countervailing the gravitational forces of normal and dark matter. Its quite measurable, and both dark energy and dark matter have been shown to have locally non-homogeneous distribution. Now what it *is* is open to speculation and hopefully successful theorizing eventually, but it is there...

Cheers,

Buffy

infamous

Yes I agree "time can be measured as events change", however, what you mean with rate of 10^-43 secs ?

Antti

Time is as a tool to pinpoint the approximate start of an event and to measure its duration. Time is not static -- there is no "moment" in time and no specific increment to define it. Linda

Its the measurable effect countervailing the gravitational forces of normal and dark matter. Its quite measurable, and both dark energy and dark matter have been shown to have locally non-homogeneous distribution. Now what it *is* is open to speculation and hopefully successful theorizing eventually, but it is there...

Cheers,

Buffy

So....the term "Dark Energy" is a scientific? term for something yet unknown? Interesting....

Time is as a tool to pinpoint the approximate start of an event and to measure its duration. Time is not static -- there is no "moment" in time and no specific increment to define it. Linda

How about this Linda; Plank length / by the speed of light equals Plank time. 4.05 *10^-33/2.99792458*10^10 or 1.35*10^-43 secs.

C1ay

Well, I used to Google to find forums with cosmology issues and I found some interesting discussions from your forum. So I decided to muck in and do my share to arise discussion and really I got quite much feedback, many thanks.

Antti :eek:

Welcome to Hypography. I'm glad you've found some discussion of interest.

How about this Linda; Plank length / by the speed of light equals Plank time. 4.05 *10^-33/2.99792458*10^10 or 1.35*10^-43 secs.

But then again that raises the often debated subject of is there a minimum unit of time and space. Some say yes and some say no. Time has a direction as far as measurment goes. We sometimes term it an arrow of time. There are processes in physics where time is reversable. There are also known processes where time reversal is not symmetrical. Basically, our units of time are measuring rods. The concept of time is a construct of the human mind. Yet, time under Einstein's theory is unified with space so that we have spacetime. I think the actually answer is if one went by units derived out of C the idea that time seems to slowdown and at other times flies is based upon human perspective of such. An hour with someone you hate can seem like an eternity while the same time with someone you like can seem like a brief instant is a statement that rather encompasses that perspective. Yet, behind it all one still has the same hour being considered.

Nobody said that it stops or starts, only that Plank time is a measure of the shortest increment of time possible.
i think you mean, One increment of Plank time is the duration of the shortest measurable event. But there is less than an increment (half a Plank time, a quarter Plank, and so on....). We use static terms for math but they don't exist in reality.

i think you mean, One increment of Plank time is the duration of the shortest measurable event. But there is less than an increment (half a Plank time, a quarter Plank, and so on....). We use static terms for math but they don't exist in reality.
Well there are some folks who have postulated (no proof yet) that time is quantized, and Planck Time represents the individual "frames" in the movie of reality...Pretty wild (and contradictory) conclusions pop out of this idea...again not proven, and arguably it may not be possible to prove this one since it has the same observational problems as superstrings/branes....

Cheers,

Buffy

So....the term "Dark Energy" is a scientific? term for something yet unknown? Interesting....

Dark Energy is still hypothetical, but there is strong evidence that it exists. Dark energy is everywhere, it fills up space. It has negative pressure, so it pulls everything apart, which does the opposite of gravity. Dark energy is supposed to contribute to the acceleration of the universe.

Well there are some folks who have postulated (no proof yet) that time is quantized, and Planck Time represents the individual "frames" in the movie of reality...Pretty wild (and contradictory) conclusions pop out of this idea...again not proven, and arguably it may not be possible to prove this one since it has the same observational problems as superstrings/branes....

Cheers,

Buffy

Yes Buffy; This is a good discription of the point I was trying to make, as usual you seem to always find the right words to properly define your thoughts. By the way, most folks that hold to the opinion of quantized time are the same folks that are pushing string theory. This should interest Linda. Thanks for your comments Buffy, your an asset to this forum.

Cheers,

Buffy

Yes, that's really wild! Time is not an event that occurs, it is a description of how events are measured. The terms we use to measure time are arbitrary anyway. And when we speak of Plankc time, it is in terms of the arbitrary term "seconds." Quantized values pertain only to packets of energy. There's no "packet" of time. What purpose would that serve?

Yes Buffy; This is a good discription of the point I was trying to make, as usual you seem to always find the right words to properly define your thoughts. By the way, most folks that hold to the opinion of quantized time are the same folks that are pushing string theory. This should interest Linda. Thanks for your comments Buffy, your an asset to this forum.
I am very interested in who are the folks pushing quantized time. Could you name a couple please? To my knowledge, string theory does not include a time factor. So what is the connection?

I am very interested in who are the folks pushing quantized time. Could you name a couple please?
James Putnam for one... :note: I think McCutcheon also argues it to argue that "there is no such thing as time"...

Cheers,

Buffy

...An hour with someone you hate can seem like an eternity while the same time with someone you like can seem like a brief instant is a statement that rather encompasses that perspective. Yet, behind it all one still has the same hour being considered.
Reminds me of the joke between a gentleman an his doctor--

Doc: I am sorry to inform you that you only have 6 months to live.

Patient: That's awful. Wht do you think I should do, Doc?

Doc: I think you ought to marry an incorrigible shrew and move to Cleveland.

Patient: Why in the world would I do that?

Doc: Well, it will make six months seem like forever.