Science Forums

Make a poll, will you do this if it exists?

Ps2Huang

yeah, not if we spread out colonies throughout the galaxy. we should do that, that we humans could probably live forever if we put our resources in the right places and all that jazz. then we would have interplanetary wars! but anyways, back on track. yeah i would do it.

Yea, why not? I wouldn't want to live forever if my body was deteriorating, but if I could stay young then I would definitely want to love forever. Also, the population won't grow out of control if they keep it so that poor people could not afford it. It would be an experiment in natural selection I guess.

Gene therapy supposedly has the promise of, besides curing diseases, regrowing hair for people with baldness, or missing teeth, restoring skin to a youthful state, perhaps restoring a body to youth in every way imaginable. But after being restored, the body will continue aging from that point, so these treatments will have to be reperformed periodically.

As long as we have the technology to sustain life indefinitely in space, we could maybe use gene therapy to extend life indefinitely for those who set out to colonize new worlds. Maybe that will make room hear on Earth. But if this fountain of youth is only available to the wealthy, humanity may become similar to a colony of bees... :friday:

I will do it, and many people would, you will be surprised that no one will be poor enough not to pay just to get more few years of life, people will do anything to earn more years

besides, needs imply creativity, too many people means a need of wider places, a need of more science and technology, this need will get benefits for humans evolution more than anything else!

A species cannot evolve unless specific traits are selected over others. Providing all with longevity just instills the need for continual medical care for the species. Those that need to die should. Those that are able live. You evolve a species that is independent of external repair.

A species cannot evolve unless specific traits are selected over others. Providing all with longevity just instills the need for continual medical care for the species. Those that need to die should. Those that are able live. You evolve a species that is independent of external repair.
Evolution is much too slow. People want longevity now! And many will stop at nothing. Could it be possible to combine gene therapy with genetic engineering to actually stop aging in a single treatment?