Science Forums

How can telepathy be possible in perspective of science?

regardless of wether telepathy can be scientifically proven or not, it does take place. many have experienced it, myself included, and although i am very rational and live a life based on fact rather than fiction, i am unable to deny its existence. if i had not experienced it myself i would doubtlessly deny it, basing my beliefs on logic. nearly everybody who has not experienced it would do the same, as it is not a concept that it easy to accept.

I've stayed out of this wehole debate even though as I've mentioned in a few other posts in passing I've witnessed some of the research done by the Department of Defence before. Yes, I've seen a few things that suggest something to this may be valid. But from my own knowledge we have no solid scientific explination at the present time even if some of the say entanglement aspects out of quantum theory suggest there may be one. In short, its not ruled out, as Hawking likes to say about a lot of things. That's about all I will say on this subject untill such time as we have more solid answers. Either way, even if ever proven to be real I suspect there will be a solid scientific explination to such.

• 2 weeks later...

I liken it to the Quantum Entanglement issue that Buffy and paultrr have brought up.

Second there is the way that Penrose interprets dimension in Twistor theory (as Complex). Given

to allow Tachyons. Almost a splitting of Realms into that of Reality (real world of 3 dimensions) and

whatever else (some string theories have upto 7 dimensions). Odd to that 7 is also the number of

Chakras in a human body. Hmmm...

If you were to buy that guy earlier [Kirk... somebody] who likes to think himself a Christian.

What if Spirit in its essence is Quantum Entangled ? Then we would all be connected. Kind of

makes it simpler to work out Telepathy (along with all the other psychic/paranormal stuff out there).

Where does intuition come from ? Superstituous or not (Call it God if your Christian)

What I have been speculating were Spirit to exist how would it be composed and would have to be

added to the known laws to agree with what is currently observed and yet explain many anomolous

behaviors ? Always question and you will discover what is not known. To not is to accept what is.

To question is to consider what is not and yet be.

maddog

• 2 weeks later...

Maddog:

All the sages saints down through history have reported the "OneNess" of all that exists... as well as an absence of time and distance. I like the comment about "entanglement"... LOL, yea, we're all entangled all right!! IMO science simply hasn't caught up yet. You should check out the excellent trilogy by Dr. David Hawkins... they'll blow your mind:

http://www.veritaspub.com/

"History and time are products of the ego. In the realm of the Absolute, there is nothing to record."

Since the ego {intellectual thought} is of the linear domain, comprehension of reality entails it's transcendence.

DAK

___I didn't catch this radio show, but here find two links on the subject of scientific investigation into telepathy.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2005/06/05.html#recap

http://www.tiller.org/

I was just thinking that too!! :eek: :hyper:

Interesting Turtle, I remember hearing about other studies done that also point to the possibility of quantum level reactions occuring within these kind of tests. There are certainly many things we don't have answers for. The greatest question in my mind remains however; Have our scientific advancements and increased knowledge caused us to become so rigid in our thinking that it is becomig more and more difficult for us to think out of the box. Here is one example where contemporary scientific authority seems unwilling to think the unthinkable. Scientific investigation should be an adventure and I fear that because many are reluctant to offend their higher-ups, many unanswered questions continue to go unanswered.

Have our scientific advancements and increased knowledge caused us to become so rigid in our thinking that it is becomig more and more difficult for us to think out of the box.

Good thought- in many cases yes. More specifically, our thinking is rigid in that we have a pre-defined set of results we will accept as valid. Our entire method of investigation fixes us on specific results, the scientific method RELIES on causality, for example. This defines our results- we must find something that operates in a causal fashion. We keep looking until we can make that connect. The method blinds us to any happening that doesn't follow the rules of the method.

Understand our limitations!

___And yet we do progress. Isn't this stodgy pattern ubiquitous in history? It brings to the fore, the question of just who is making the advancements. Moreover, who has historically made the advancements & how they did it & how did that all go for them?

___I posit it is a punctuated advancement whereby a few individuals with heightened abilities (telepathy?) put forward the key ideas; then they receive their due (only a good beating if lucky), & others profit by it. :hyper:

It's certainly true that the leaps in progress are made by individuals that think things the scientific community wouldn't accept (or can't). Einstien, Galileo, Hawking, etc.

Excellent point bumab; it is much safer to stay sheltered within the box of mediocrity, never to chance being exposed as only human and subject to error. Very convenient to always agree with official contemporary views so as not to spoil the sacred cows of those in prominent positions.

None the less, evidence must be found to support any new views for it to undertake scientific credibility. But never hinder speculation, for it is with the unbelieveable that new discoveries are birthed.

It's certainly true that the leaps in progress are made by individuals that think things the scientific community wouldn't accept (or can't). Einstien, Galileo, Hawking, etc.
What things did Einstien, Galileo or Hawking think, that the scientific community wouldn't or couldn't accept?

Things like relativity, black holes, then black hole radiation, no absolute time... etc. It's not to say they were the ONLY ones who could think this up, somebody else would have eventually. Maybe just they were ahead of their time (or just in time)...

What things did Einstien, Galileo or Hawking think, that the scientific community wouldn't or couldn't accept?

Maybe this should be worded "Until Einstein, Galileo, or Hawking presented their revolutionary views, the scientific community was unable to conseive of such a concept".

Back to the original thread subject, telepathy.

In "A Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernon Vinge (I'm sure a lot of you have read it) there are these intelligent dog things that are linked over short distances by infra-sound. (I'm not sure if it has a more scientific name.) Also, infra-sound has been shown to cause hallucinations, etc. in humans.

http://skepdic.com/infrasound.html

Also, and this is simply anecdotal evidence, I have witnessed my two dogs behave in a coordinated manner when chasing birds or squirrells. One dog will spot the squirrell and take off after it, the other (although out of visual range of both the original chaser and the squirrell) will come running to the scene of the chase. Oddly enough, my pointer also seems to have taught my border collie to honor.

Does telepathy exsist? I doubt it, in that you aren't going to be reading anybody's mind any time soon - but on the other hand, I'm sure we've all experienced the burn of someone's gaze on the back of our head. How do you know when someone is staring at you in a restaurant?

Just a few thoughts.

TFS

[whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa]

Good idea, Infamous

Thank you bumab; I wrote a poem a short while back about the difficuty we humans have many times when expressing our views. It is so easy for some to jump to conclusions weather intentional or otherwise when what they should be doing is trying to read a little between the lines. Reminds me of the vultures I've seen on National Geographic Channel, just lying in wait to devour those that make one little slip they move in to strip the carcass. Am I foolish for hoping against hope that humanity can ever become an us instead of me and them ? Most likely it is a foolish thought, if all would allow me to answer my own question.

<Our entire method of investigation fixes us on specific results, the scientific method RELIES on causality, for example. >

Exactly... this, according to Dr. Hawkins, is probably the most important mistake in science. He quotes something like this:

"There is NO 'this causing that', it is an illusion. All things happen on their own when conditions are right." The illusion of causality is caused by the mechanism of the ego mind which operates in a linear fashion. See R. Sheldrake's "M-Fields".

So this is where science is touching on spirituality... two electrons on the opposite side of the universe mirror each other... not because one 'causes' the other, but at the same time when conditions are right.

DAK