Science Forums

Is There Any Relationship Between ....

Making fun? I want to know that if I am a student of CSE , then would I have a job in IT sector.

not making fun. i thought you were referring to what common studies. as to career, i think the cross-overs must depend on the specifics of a company. nevertheless it seems justifiable to think some engineering firms have IT departments and some IT businesses may have an engineering department. you might also check for help on campus from a career development department or such a matter. :idea:

Is there any relationship between the "computer science and engineering" and "Information Technology".

Yes, a strong one.

Unlike Turtle, who gave "math" as a common attribute between CS/CE and IT, I'd focus on "computers" as their most significant common attribute. I know a lot of IT pros who are terrible at math, yet are still valuable and effective in their jobs - though not the sort of folk I much enjoy hanging out with. ;)

People tend to disagree on a precise definition of IT and its distinction between CS, but agree on various points in general. My take on it is that IT is largely a subset of CS, the one concerned with the practical application of CS to problems involving the organization and use of computer-stored information - for example, how to gather and use information about people to better serve their needs of some particular kind, from entertainment to healthcare. "Pure CS", includes the study of problems with less immediate practical applications, such as precisely defining the relative advantages and disadvantages of specific algorithm.

Both CS and IT concern themselves with software and data. CE is a different discipline altogether, involving the actual engineering of computer hardware. Since hardware without software can't even be tested, CEs necessarily know how to program, but it's common to find CS and IT people who know almost nothing about building computers. There's an old joke in IT: "Q:How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb? A: None, that's an engineering task!"

IT also includes very non-technical aspects of the entire human endeavor of making use of computers: talking to people about their specific needs and wants, designing software to achieve them, and all the other steps needed to realize a fully utilized computerized solution to a collection of user needs. Many IT people, with titles like "project manager" and "business analyst", people with academic degrees in the humanities, law, or practically any other non-scientific discipline, can't practically program or build computers at all, yet are considered part of an IT organization, and do important work in them.

I want to know that if I am a student of CSE , then would I have a job in IT sector.

As long as you are capable of communicating and problem-solving effectively, practically any college degree will qualify you for an IT job. Being able to program well will make you much more attractive.

I've worked as a programmer, "in IT" (the acronym of my organization since about 1990 has "IT" in it) for 26 years. My BS degree was Math. Although IT organizations have become more selective in considering the academic background of first-time employees, tending to screen-out people with non-CS/IT degrees before even allowing them to interview for positions (which involved talking with and being recommended, or not, by people like me), I personally prefer people with more general science backgrounds to people who's whole academic career was focused on computers. I'm fond of saying "a CS major can be like a carpenter specializing in 'hammer'", meaning that computers, though ubiquitous and wonderful tools, are still just tools. It's important, I think, to have a good scientific understanding of various physical and metaphysical systems, so, in addition to knowing how to use computers, you have some idea of what to use them to do.

Be well-rounded, not over-specialized. As the underlying hardware and software tools have and are likely to continue changing, being flexible and adaptable is as or more important than knowing a lot about a specific CS/IT/CE domain.

:) Oh, and best of luck in your studies and career, Mukhlesur. IT's been good to me, and I hope will be to you, too.

Is there any relationship between the "computer science and engineering" and "Information Technology".

"Computer science and engineering" is strongly related with "Information Technology". Also "Computer science and engineering" is a part of "Information Technology".

"Computer science and engineering" is strongly related with "Information Technology". Also "Computer science and engineering" is a part of "Information Technology".

To me it's the other way around, "Information Technology" is part of "Computer Science and Engineering" since CompSci is much more about all applied computing of which information is just a subset.

To me it's the other way around, "Information Technology" is part of "Computer Science and Engineering" since CompSci is much more about all applied computing of which information is just a subset.

Computer, Mobile, Software, everything is part of Information Technology. So "Computer Science and Engineering" is a part of "Information Technology".

Computer, Mobile, Software, everything is part of Information Technology. So "Computer Science and Engineering" is a part of "Information Technology".

Information Technology (IT) is the branch of engineering that deals with the use of computers and telecommunications to store, retrieve and transmit information. The acquisition, processing, storage and dissemination of vocal, pictorial, textual and numerical information by a microelectronics-based combination of computing and telecommunications are its main fields...

Sources:

Adelman, C. (2000). A Parallel Post-secondary Universe: The Certification System in Information Technology. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Education.

Allen, T., and M.S. Morton, eds. 1994. Information Technology and the Corporation of the 1990s. New York: Oxford University Press.

I cannot think of any application of information technology that does not use computers these days but, I can think of many applications of computer science and engineering, i.e. machine automation and control, that are not aimed at information technology. IMO computer science and engineering provides everything needed for the information age and then some.

Being in large part an imaginative lot who read a lot of SF, some information technology folk imagine ourselves inheritors of an information managing tradition going back at least as far and to when on-the-edge-of prehistoric Mesopotamians began scribing marks in wet clay tablets, long before the electronic computer was even imagined, so would agree with Dr. T’s view that computer science and engineering are recent sub-disciplines of IT.

The conventional definition, however, is as wikipedia, I, and C1ay stated: IT is a branch of CS&E.

I cannot think of any application of information technology that does not use computers these days but, I can think of many applications of computer science and engineering, i.e. machine automation and control, that are not aimed at information technology.

As an enterprise department description, “IT” has come to be a catch-all for anything involving a computer, except isolated, embedded systems like those in microwave ovens and bathroom scales, so even a robotic assembly line is likely to get its hard and software from “the IT department”.

This practical (if you’re near a university) experiment helps illustrate the distinction between CS&E and IT: Go to your nearest university and find the CS department. It’s an academic department, staffed by teachers and researchers. Find the IT department. It’s a support department similar to one at a non-academic business, staffed with professionals responsible for keeping everybody’s computers (and, often, telephones and other gadgets) working.

CS is an academic discipline. Although there are classes with “IT” in their desriptions, IT is a profession.

IMO computer science and engineering provides everything needed for the information age and then some.

A purist might say that math and electronic engineering had everything needed for the information age, and CS&E are just specialized (perhaps overly so) offshoots of it.

I’m ambivalent on the question. While you can make an argument that work like Church’s lambda calculus in the 1930s and Turing’s Turing machine in the 1940s created the foundations of present day CS, I’ve encountered some CS folk who seem little connected (and often, barely aware) of anything written before the 1960s, who’s scientific mythologies involve Donald Knuth finding an abandoned IBM 650 in the basement of Case Western U in 1956 and inventing the art and science of computer programming then and there - and when 60s printing technology wasn’t equal to the task of spreading his gospel, sat down again and invented TeX. ;) Though an exaggeration and oversimplification, this and similar myths arguable capture the essence of the truth of the birth of CS, and that Knuth was (and still is, not being dead yet) an awesome programmer. :bow:

• 1 month later...