Science Forums

Apple os x question

i have an external hard drive.

i just reformatted my mac. (it was lagging, i've had it for about a year)

before i reformatted it, i could plug in this firewire external hard drive and it would show up as an outside storage device. just like my digital camera.

i was able to transfer files in and out of it with ease.

now that i reformatted it, whenever i plug the hard drive in, it doesn't recognise it at all. the computer doesn't even take action. ignores it! the digital camera works fine though.

one thing i did do though: i did look for drivers, and found that it was made for windows, and there were no mac drivers.

why would it work then and not now? how can i get it to recognise it?

thanks! !

What brand, Orb? I have a Maxtor DV5000 and sometimes I need to disconnect it completely. Then plug in the power, wait for 15 seconds or so until it spins up, then connect the FireWire cable to the hard drive, THEN connect it to my Mac.

AFAIK there should be no need for drivers for it.

BTW, did you just reformat your Mac or did you also reformat your harddrive? Maybe it is not partitioned correctly? Just a thought.

hey, it's a western digital.

and i've tried every combination of turning it off, switching the wires around.....nothing works.

i reformatted the drive too, erased everything.

it's running smooth and perfect....but i'm frustrated because ALL of my music is on this stupid drive, and i'm living in a silent room. IM GOING MAD

hey, it's a western digital.

and i've tried every combination of turning it off, switching the wires around.....nothing works.

i reformatted the drive too, erased everything.

it's running smooth and perfect....but i'm frustrated because ALL of my music is on this stupid drive, and i'm living in a silent room. IM GOING MAD

You're not making sense. How is all of your music on the drive if you reformatted it and erased everything?

nononononono.

reformatted my mac drive.

the western digital is external and my newly reformatted mac can not see it when i plug it in.

IT USED TO BE ABLE TO SEE IT, before i reformatted

all of my crap is on this external drive

i am screwed

im sure it will work for any windows computer, but that's beside the point.

point is, i want the crap on my mac.

it worked before, i'm trying to figure out how to get it to work again.

i'll try the mac forums. (gah, i hate to resort to that)

I can tell that you are very, very ill my friend, ill with what i call "wellwindowsworksthisway whyshouldntthisos" (yes i created the name, not sure that it complies with latin sickness naming...)

You should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever have to reinstall a unix-based OS because of the slow performance, unless 2 things happen: something horrble happens (you delete your /etc directory) or you loose your root password (in case of OSX administrator i beleive). Slow performance is many times due to junk files colecting in /tmp /var/tmp or large log files in /var/log. lack of space should be the motivation to cleanup the drive, but never to reinstall the OS.

i know that.

i may seem computer illiterate from these basically stupid problems, but i tried to install a pirated version of Tiger that day, and my computer went to hell after that.

i don't get some sick pleasure out of reformatted my computer. i hate doing it, and only do it when it needs to be done.

trust me, i had to do it.

it wasn't just slow performace, i have dual 2.0ghz processors. slow performance is not an option!