Science Forums

Cause of orgasms

Damo2600

I was asking 'why'?
The conventional wisdom on this for females (and I'll assume that's what you're asking about) is that the contractions force the sperm up to the uterus to enhance fertilization of the eggs waiting there. In the case of both sexes, increased seratonin levels that result create a natural desire for sex which enhances propagation. Pretty much Dawkin's Selfish Gene at work.
LOL My star sign says I need only opportunity.
Take my word for it: if you're a girl you don't need a positive horoscope to get sex. Guys have only one setting and you only have to figure out which ones are hetro....

Cheers,

Buffy

There's got to be more to it than that.
Well, this IS the Chemistry forum. You might get a different answer in the Medical Science forum where psychology is fair game. But unfortunately I've personnally found sex is simple. Emotions, love, etc. well *that's* a whole different ball game...

Cheers,

Buffy

Well, this IS the Chemistry forum. You might get a different answer in the Medical Science forum where psychology is fair game. But unfortunately I've personnally found sex is simple. Emotions, love, etc. well *that's* a whole different ball game...

Cheers,

Buffy

Isn't that the truth.

this is really quite the bizzare topic!

before anyone thinks i am in death valley, as far as being over the hill, at 53, let me add that my wife is 15 years younger and well i have a special viewpoint on this whole situation but am too tired to write much as i am spent.

p. and l.

+

l. and p.

(kirk) kirk gregory czuhai :(

Is there a reason for making your post hard to read?

It's not all that incredible then. Orgasm = Increased Seratonin...There's got to be more to it than that.
D26- At the risk of absolutely destroying the elegance and mystery associated with orgasm, the physiological view is interesting. Orgasm is the moment of autonomic shift from parasympathetic to sympathetic control. From the Merck Manual:
The sexual response cycle is mediated by a delicate, balanced interplay between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. Vasocongestion is largely mediated by parasympathetic (cholinergic) outflow; orgasm is predominantly sympathetic (adrenergic). Ejaculation is almost entirely sympathetic; emission involves sympathetic and parasympathetic stimulation. These responses are easily inhibited by cortical influences or by impaired hormonal, neural, or vascular mechanisms. - and -adrenergic blockers may desynchronize emission, ejaculation, and perineal muscle contractions during orgasm, and serotonin agonists frequently interfere with desire and orgasm.
I have heard a rumor that folks actually enjoy it. Purely unconfirmed rumor.

...increased seratonin levels that result create a natural desire for sex which enhances propagation...
Conflicting evidence on the role of serotonin. The role probably varies by central nerve tract. Note my previous post (Merck Manual) that mentions serotonin agonists (i.e., increased serotonin activity) decrease sex drive. SSRIs (e.g., Prozac) often reduce sex drive for (what is thought to be) the same reason.

Both of you are right, serotonin decreases the sex drive, but it makes a person feel good and want to create the feeling again. Basicly, when serotonin is released the person doesn't want intercourse, but once the serotonin is depleated, the person wants to have sex more to get the happy feeling that serotonin provides.

Before you wonder too much about why a sixteen year old know this- I was studying for my biology AP test tomorrow and came on hypography for a break, and I had just been reviewing the "Why Animals Have Sex" chapter.... On a different note- wish me luck on the test, if I do well I get college credit even though I'm still in high school. *is nervous*

D26- At the risk of absolutely destroying the elegance and mystery associated with orgasm, the physiological view is interesting. Orgasm is the moment of autonomic shift from parasympathetic to sympathetic control. From the Merck Manual:I have heard a rumor that folks actually enjoy it. Purely unconfirmed rumor.

Nice, but true when you examine how such works it does take the fun out of the subject. Imagine telling that to you're wife or partner next time you are in the middle of the climax. I suspect you'd get slapped. Rather like the guy on the ad reading his paper and the wife asking if she looks fat in a certain outfit.