Science Forums

Magnetism and space-time curvature

Shmitty16

I just learned that in areas of intense gravity(or minimal for that matter, the effect is just not as evident), magnetic waves push against the curvature of space-time in order to try and flatten space-time back to normal. If this is the case then is it safe to say that if you take to opposing poles of a magnet and push them towards one another causing the magnetic waves to bend, then you are causing space-time to bed as well? If not then please explain? There are numerous relations between energy, magnetism, and gravity all dealing with curving space-time and I am trying to get my facts and theories straight. Thanks,

Jon

There is currently no theory uniting gravity with electromagnetism. So the effects of magnetism upon space-time is not well known. When dealing with space-time I think it is important to consider the meaning of that word. Usually we use that label for the world we see, ie 3 spatial and one time dimensions. Space-time on a quantum level, however, is a very strange thing. Some theories suggest that at certain sizes (like below the planck length, the minimum distance in the universe) space-time becomes spongy and foam-like. We just don't know, because we can't see it.

What I'm trying to say here is that I don't think using two opposing poles of a magnet will help you bend space-time in any noticeable way. Electromagnetism and gravity are two different things.

Tormod

• 2 weeks later...

I am not an expert in gravitation, but I have never heard about the effect you're talking about. If you could give the reference of where you learned that I could give you a better answer.

Anyway, as far as we know, electromagnetism do not bend spacetime like gravity. When you say that a force bends spacetime, you are saying that every particle or body in that location of space will feel that bending and move according to it. Let me be clearer. In general relativity there is the asumption that bodies in space simply travel through spacetime taking the shortest path between two points. Gravity then affect spacetime modifying this shortest path making the body take a turn or orbite some other body.

The electromagnetic force only affects charged bodies. A neutral body would not have its path altered by electromagnetism. So, you cannot say that spacetime is bended in this case. Every particle or body travels in spacetime, so every particle or body would feel a bending in it, what does not occur with electromagnetism (magnetic and electric force are both part of the same interaction we call electromagnetic interaction).

I hope my answer will help and not confuse you anymore...