Science Forums

But, Larry...

Qfwfq

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/preview/  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Will it still be safe to use Google services?

• Yes, cloud computing is cool, our destiny, the path to bliss and we genuflect to Larry Page Almighty.
    • No, cloud computing is venom and it sucks in any case.
    • It will be safe, if you use it with a browser other than Google Chrome (and/or Windoze).
    • It will be safe, if you have no qualms about airing your filthy laundry (and shame on you if you have any).
    • It will become unusable without Google Chrome and unsafe with it.
    • It will remain usable and unsafe with any browser/OS and Larry Page will be Our Lord..

Starting with March 1st this year, Google will have a flaming new Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Hurrrrrraaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

But how cool is it that Our Lord will be watching over us if we choose to log in with a Google account? This goes for things like Gmail, Google Talk and YouTube, so if you use such things you might want to know to which extent Google Almighty can see your hardware and sofware details, on your side of the connection.

Does Google Almighty see the user's local file system via Chrome? Will they make their browser necessary? Their new TOS sez stuff like:

For example, don’t interfere with our Services or try to
access them using a method other than the interface and the instructions that we provide

It is yet unclear if Chrome will be included in the meaning of this. Are these anti-cloud freaks right? Oddly enough, it has become harder for me to find their sites and mostly marketing hype for cloud computing turns up, at least using Google for the search...:shrug:

Anyone more informed here? Whaddya think?

Edited by Qfwfq
dumb typo

• 2 weeks later...
TANSTAAFL
Sure, but Our Larry has long been raking up handsome revenues from advertising. Nobody thought Google was a free lunch.

One thing is getting ads and another is to let them get their grubby hands on, well, for instance software source codes I've been working on that won't be open source, or whatever one might have on their drive, personal letters (to some hot chick maybe), compromising photos, monthly balances, not to mention somebody with mnemonic difficulties might be keeping passwords and PIN's in a file to avoid forgetting them. In short: anything private.

I certainly won't be using Chrome.

Sure, but Our Larry has long been raking up handsome revenues from advertising. Nobody thought Google was a free lunch.

One thing is getting ads and another is to let them get their grubby hands on, well, for instance software source codes I've been working on that won't be open source, or whatever one might have on their drive, personal letters (to some hot chick maybe), compromising photos, monthly balances, not to mention somebody with mnemonic difficulties might be keeping passwords and PIN's in a file to avoid forgetting them. In short: anything private.

I certainly won't be using Chrome.

I think you are being a bit paranoid. This is not an Orwellian dictatorship...it is Google. I don't think they would ever require users to use their browser only. That would kill their revenue and it would be confusing as heck for the simple internet user that just wants to play a youtube video.

What I do see happening is Google marketing their social media (Google+) and forming a merger between social media and search results. They are also expected to release their new cloud storage system any day now. I'm looking forward to it!

Cloud services are great and I can understand people's hesitation with using them, but in practice, it can actually be *more* secure than the way most people typically use their computers. Cloud services like Dropbox and Lastpass have made my life amazingly easier, and more secure! As a computer repair business owner, I recommend all my clients adopt some form of cloud backup. It's a cheap and easy way to assure your data is backed up. If your house goes up in flames, that backup hard drive is not really going to do you any good when it's melted right next to your computer. ;)

Who me? Paranoid? Nah, it's just that a little elf comes climbin' through my window at night, snoopin' 'round my quarters....

...and as with any software (or SaS), if you don't agree with the ToS, then don't use it.
Which is what I'll do if they ever require Chrome.

One thing is sure, I would never use a cloud to backup certain things. As for fires, back in '82 the entreprenur I worked for showed me the fireproof safe where they kept all their backup tapes, in the company he was a partner of. I won't be buying one of those before I'm sure it's worth it, but there's folks I would trust more than Google, to keep a sealed copy of the source files I've been working on and whatever else. What do you think about the fact that they might be asking folks for their credit card number?

Edited by Qfwfq
dumb typos

Who me? Paranoid? Nah, it's just that a little elf comes climbin' through my window at night, snoopin' 'round my quarters....

What do you think about the fact that they might be asking folks for their credit card number?

just because we're paranoid does not mean someone is not out to get us. :omg: :slingshot: damnnable little elves and they felfin filchin' sneakage. :nahnahbooboo: :oh_really: google, through the youtube acquisition, is already asking for our phone numbers. more like constantly prodding... :jab: thank zeus no one can hack a phone. :whew: :doh: it was through my youtube channel that i got my personalized "dear larry" google warning that they are about to have a look at my privates. masher!!! please spread your legs and hold your arms up and out to the sides & hold this position for 10 seconds. :hal_skeleton: we said hold still larry!!! :unsure:

Cloud services are great and I can understand people's hesitation with using them, but in practice, it can actually be *more* secure than the way most people typically use their computers. Cloud services like Dropbox and Lastpass have made my life amazingly easier, and more secure! As a computer repair business owner, I recommend all my clients adopt some form of cloud backup. It's a cheap and easy way to assure your data is backed up. If your house goes up in flames, that backup hard drive is not really going to do you any good when it's melted right next to your computer. ;)
I'll stick to an external solid state USB backup thanx....it would take no time at all to yoink it off my desk while bolting out the door or more likely window...and what's mine and private stays mine and private!.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...