Science Forums

Bigger Brains/higher Conciousness

SaxonViolence

i apologize, i simply meant that all life has thought, depending on learning habits of a species, thoughts advance differently

birds make adobe nests, bees make honey hives with wax, ants make vents for air flow in their hive

humans havest the possibilities of fire

thats all i was saying

i was re-reading the opening post and seeing as it is all over if not off the boards i thought i'd take up your posting habits in light of conciousness. i dare say no other creatures on earth other than we humans do this.

so i notice, belovelife, that you have as your profile picture a photo of a man throwing a pot on a wheel. may i presume this is you? just so, let's equate throwing a pot to posting a post.

for the pot you have no limits on your creativity as far as envisioning shapes, function, color, design, or other such imaginings as you have in mind. nonetheless, as a potter you are constrained in many ways by the medium. you need good clay, it needs to be not too-wet and not too-dry, you have to push on it hard enough but not too hard, you must spin the wheel fast enough but not too-fast, you have to dry the clay so much before you can fire it, you have to fire it hot enough & long enough, and other such constraints as the material demands. failing these demands, the pot is ruined.

for the post, your creativity is likewise free while the medium imposes certain constraints. when you ignore these posting constraints your posts are like cracked pots. take care to choose reliable reference sources as you would choose good clay. follow the accepted format of providing a source, a short quote from it, and your thoughts on it as you would first center your clay, pull up the rough shape, and then refine the shape. take your time composing your post as you would take time shaping a delicate neck. acknowledge, consider, & respond to replies to your posts as you would take instruction from a more experienced potter.

remain concious of the goal of presenting creativity to others in such a way that they can enjoy it.

tant mieux if you would post like you pot belove; tant pis if not. :coffee_n_pc:

I only brought up Dr Lilly's argument to shoot it down.

Dolphins need a bigger Brain to Navigate as well as they do, using Sonar.

But if--just if--Dolphins had a Marvelous Brain, a very advanced Mathematics, Logic, and Metaphysics.....

All passed along Verbally, in a very complex language.....

How would you ever know?

They live in Water--as has been pointed out. They have no limbs to make or manipulate complex tools.....

And maybe they have zero desire to communicate with us, and have no desire to change their Nomadic/Hunting Lifestyle.

Whole other topic:

There may be more than one way to ramp up the Brain.

Recent studies have shown that Corvids (Believe that's the Term--Crows and Ravens) are very bright indeed.

And as has already been mentioned, it takes a bigger brain, to run a bigger body.

May I make a Wild Stab, and guess that at least to a degree, it is a matter of how much Gray Matter that is left over to Intellectualize once Sensory Input, Autonomic and Motor Control Business is taken care of.

The extra probably contributes in about a direct proportion to it's mass.

If we wanted to engineer a Whale to have Humongus Deep Thoughts, and we were Masters of Genetic Engineering.

If we added the weight of a Human Brain to the weight of Brain the Whale already has.....does anyone think that the Whale couldn't Silently Soliloquize right along with the rest of us?

{Once again, we couldn't just throw 3 1/2 Pounds of Brain Tissue at the Whale's Brain--it would need to be carefully organized, to do what we wish it to do. Since we seem to be assuming that the Whale doesn't intellectualize much, and we seem to be asking it to do something completely Foreign to it--perhaps most of our "New Brain" should be fairly close together, in one Structure--but not so isolated that none of the rich Sensory Impressions and other "Whalish" Qualia would be lost to it.}

Does anyone think that the Whale couldn't Silently Soliloquize right along with the rest of us? Probably better, because large fractions of our Brains have to be devoted to bodily Functions--100% of the Whale's extra Brain Cells could go toward Intellectualizing.

Also, some of of Brain cells the whale already has, would be of some Cognitive Value.

Once again, The Whale might be coming up with some Jumpin' and Jivin' Geometric Theorems; and incredibly dense Musical Melodies( Far Beyond its ability to Verbalize).....

And how would you ever know it?

Yes, I know that Brain tissue makes heavy demands on the Body--But I do believe that a Whale could manage another five or six pounds worth.....

Was I all over the Place?

Sorry.

I like the idea of both Superior Intelligence, and Modeling-to-Specification Genetic Engineering.....

But it occurs to me, that several rather obvious ideas for creating Superior Intelligence have some Rather Glaring Flaws, even if you could Genetically Engineer to Order--I mean, you could specify a Brain 15% larger than Standard--but would that get you anything good? Would there be unintentional Side-effects? Would they outweigh the Advantages?

Would there even be any advantages to that system?

Maybe Not.....

Saxon Violence

if you could specify a Brain 15% larger than Standard-- would that get you anything good?

Saxon Violence

I read the brain of the newborn hasnt strenghted most of the connections later used.

I think its sort of evolutionary .

Connections that are used gets established,rarely used connections disappear.

Yes,I think the enlarged brain will be better if it is there from the beginning.

oh that's right. you said

... So poor old Dr Lilly's Nice Beautiful Theorem gets Gang-Raped by an Ugly Bunch of Facts. ...

Saxon Violence

your expressions certainly live down to your namesake.

But if--just if--Dolphins had a Marvelous Brain, a very advanced Mathematics, Logic, and Metaphysics.....

How would you ever know?

They live in Water--as has been pointed out. They have no limbs to make or manipulate complex tools.....

And maybe they have zero desire to communicate with us, and have no desire to change their Nomadic/Hunting Lifestyle.

Saxon Violence

if you met a person with stumps for arms & legs and speaking a language you didn't understand, how would you know that person had intelligence/conciousness on a par with your own? so pointing is good to go for either stumps or flippers. so is pointing while at the same time making a particular vocalization. wwaatteerr. :Glasses:

expressing by body language, whether visual or tactile, things like anger, surprise, interest , fear, etc. is also in for our characters. purposefully initiating or ending a conversation/communication by closing or expanding body distances; both dolphin and disabled human can do that, come and go. then there is arranging objects such as stones, sponges, shells, etc., into unary counting schemes both numeric and geometric; yep, both can physically do that.

so, that's how we would know, and more to the point do know, that dolphins- or any other extant species- lack our intelligence and/or conciousness. we humans think alone therefore we argue among ourselves; other creatures...not. :sheepjump:

improving cognition as we age. :santa3: we are what we don't eat. :chef: :beaker: :read:

Overeating May Double Risk of Memory Loss: press release @ american academy of neurology

NEW ORLEANS – New research suggests that consuming between 2,100 and 6,000 calories per day may double the risk of memory loss, or mild cognitive impairment (MCI), among people age 70 and older. The study was released today and will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology’s 64th Annual Meeting in New Orleans April 21 to April 28, 2012. MCI is the stage between normal memory loss that comes with aging and early Alzheimer’s disease,

“Cutting calories and eating foods that make up a healthy diet may be a simpler way to prevent memory loss as we age,” said Geda.

the cognitive aside, caloric restriction is known to extend life in a number of species and study is beginning with humans. better thinking & longer time to do it in. :smart:

illustrative abstract of caloric restriction study reviews:

Calorie restriction and aging: review of the literature and implications for studies in humans

Calorie restriction (CR) extends life span and retards age-related chronic diseases in a variety of species, including rats, mice, fish, flies, worms, and yeast. The mechanism or mechanisms through which this occurs are unclear. CR reduces metabolic rate and oxidative stress, improves insulin sensitivity, and alters neuroendocrine and sympathetic nervous system function in animals. Whether prolonged CR increases life span (or improves biomarkers of aging) in humans is unknown. In experiments of nature, humans have been subjected to periods of nonvolitional partial starvation. However, the diets in almost all of these cases have been of poor quality. The absence of adequate information on the effects of good-quality, calorie-restricted diets in nonobese humans reflects the difficulties involved in conducting long-term studies in an environment so conducive to overfeeding. Such studies in free-living persons also raise ethical and methodologic issues. Future studies in nonobese humans should focus on the effects of prolonged CR on metabolic rate, on neuroendocrine adaptations, on diverse biomarkers of aging, and on predictors of chronic age-related diseases.

There are some real... bad assumptions going on here, big brains do not necessarily mean smarter, not in actual size, sperm whales have brains that are outrageously large, bushel basket size, or body to brain size ratio, Mormyrids have brains bigger in body to brain size than humans, complexity seems to have some influence but birds have very small and simple brains, organization of the brain does seem to have some correlation but all of these things are difficult to really use to judge intelligence. It's not correct to judge non human intelligence by human standards, to say you expect dolphins or sperm whales to set up a dialoge to stop whaling assumes their intelligence is or should be the same as ours.

Assuming it takes a larger brain to control a large body ignores dinosaurs where brain the size of a fist controlled the largest land animals that ever lived. T-rex had a brain the size of a chimp, there is just no way to make a direct correlation on this. It's quite possible for an animal to have a neural net and no brain at all. An octopus, has a brain and decentralized control as well and they are quite intelligent by even human standards.

Human intelligence is not necessarily correlated with brain size, some dwarf humans can have very tiny brains and still function just as intelligently as regularly sized humans.

The human version of intelligence is an emergent property of our brains, whether or not these other animals have human intelligence is obvious.. if we are the judges of intelligence...

My point is that when we use our intelligence as yard stick to judge the intelligence of other animals it is a flawed comparison. It's easy to speculate that whales might be mathematicians of such power that they know everything but we can't say that with any real confidence because we simply can't communicate with them in a complex enough manner to know if they think much less what they think.

Evolutionary pressures have driven our intelligence towards technology but even among humans it's difficult to really measure intelligence objectively. An African bushman who has no knowledge of our modern society would score very poorly on IQ test but we would score very poorly on any intelligence test administered by him.

I'm not sure if there is an objective way to measure intelligence that isn't flawed by our own prejudices about what intelligence is.

I don't quite get what I perceive as an Aura of Touchiness, even Crankiness running all through this thread.

I just wanted to Brainstorm a bit, about some musings that I had about Intelligence and Super Intelligence.

I read very widely and I watch many Nature and Science shows on TV.

I certainly can't document everything that I may have picked up--

But then, I didn't plan on defending a Doctoral Thesis in front of a Hostile Board either.

As for as Brain Size--isn't a Man's Brain notably larger than a chimpanzee's?

And doesn't the Cranial capacity continue to increase as the Fossil species more closely approach man?

IQ--Is intelligence really that hard to measure--or is that a Cultural Shibboleth?

I really don't know. I don't even have much of an opinion, because it isn't important enough to me, to wade through all the viewpoints to find who seems right.

But Just mentioning the Question will probably have folks reaching for their Tomahawken to come after my Intellectual Scalp.

Once again--Why all the Snippiness?

Saxon Violence

it is not simply the brain weight that is the point regarding intelligence; it is the ratio of the brain weight to the total weight of the creature.

Sorry, but that is just more of the heavy misinformation load that this thread is carrying.

First, it's pointless to make statements about cross-species intelligence measures since there is no concrete definition of intelligence. The controversy that has been going on for decades is whether "Intelligence" is a single property (often called "g") or if it is some summation of a number of individual skills.

Second, the term and its measurement were based on Binet's attempts to determine learning potential in children; it's a reasonably good predictor of academic success although academic success is also influenced by a hots of other variables.

Third, simply looking at brain weight vs. body size makes for interesting charts but completely ignores why the differences exist AND where in the brain the additional neuronal content is located. The additional size in the Dolphin's brain is not uniformly distributed, it is concentrated in the auditory centers.

I'll save other comments for another post. :)

i apologize, i simply meant that all life has thought, depending on learning habits of a species, thoughts advance differently

birds make adobe nests, bees make honey hives with wax, ants make vents for air flow in their hive

humans havest the possibilities of fire

thats all i was saying

Better to say "all animals have behaviors" and leave out the unmeasurable notion of thought. "Thought" is inferred from behavior, not directly observed in any other creature than oneself. :D

How would you ever know?

Whole other topic:

Recent studies have shown that Corvids (Believe that's the Term--Crows and Ravens) are very bright indeed.

And as has already been mentioned, it takes a bigger brain, to run a bigger body.

May I make a Wild Stab, and guess that at least to a degree, it is a matter of how much Gray Matter that is left over to Intellectualize once Sensory Input, Autonomic and Motor Control Business is taken care of.

If we wanted to engineer a Whale to have Humongus Deep Thoughts, and we were Masters of Genetic Engineering.

If we added the weight of a Human Brain to the weight of Brain the Whale already has.....does anyone think that the Whale couldn't Silently Soliloquize right along with the rest of us?

{Once again, we couldn't just throw 3 1/2 Pounds of Brain Tissue at the Whale's Brain--it would need to be carefully organized, to do what we wish it to do. Since we seem to be assuming that the Whale doesn't intellectualize much, and we seem to be asking it to do something completely Foreign to it--perhaps most of our "New Brain" should be fairly close together, in one Structure--but not so isolated that none of the rich Sensory Impressions and other "Whalish" Qualia would be lost to it.}

Does anyone think that the Whale couldn't Silently Soliloquize right along with the rest of us? Probably better, because large fractions of our Brains have to be devoted to bodily Functions--100% of the Whale's extra Brain Cells could go toward Intellectualizing.

Also, some of of Brain cells the whale already has, would be of some Cognitive Value.

Once again, The Whale might be coming up with some Jumpin' and Jivin' Geometric Theorems; and incredibly dense Musical Melodies( Far Beyond its ability to Verbalize).....

Yes, I know that Brain tissue makes heavy demands on the Body--But I do believe that a Whale could manage another five or six pounds worth.....

Sorry.

I like the idea of both Superior Intelligence, and Modeling-to-Specification Genetic Engineering.....

But it occurs to me, that several rather obvious ideas for creating Superior Intelligence have some Rather Glaring Flaws, even if you could Genetically Engineer to Order--I mean, you could specify a Brain 15% larger than Standard--but would that get you anything good? Would there be unintentional Side-effects? Would they outweigh the Advantages?

Maybe Not.....

Saxon Violence

Let's try this: Prove to me that you "Silently Soliloquize". Provide me with objective evidence that you do this.

I'll wait.

B)

oh that's right. you said

your expressions certainly live down to your namesake.

if you met a person with stumps for arms & legs and speaking a language you didn't understand, how would you know that person had intelligence/conciousness on a par with your own? so pointing is good to go for either stumps or flippers. so is pointing while at the same time making a particular vocalization. wwaatteerr. :Glasses:

expressing by body language, whether visual or tactile, things like anger, surprise, interest , fear, etc. is also in for our characters. purposefully initiating or ending a conversation/communication by closing or expanding body distances; both dolphin and disabled human can do that, come and go. then there is arranging objects such as stones, sponges, shells, etc., into unary counting schemes both numeric and geometric; yep, both can physically do that.

so, that's how we would know, and more to the point do know, that dolphins- or any other extant species- lack our intelligence and/or conciousness. we humans think alone therefore we argue among ourselves; other creatures...not. :sheepjump:

You've made an awful lot of assumptions here that you couldn't possibly provide support for. They all seem to start from a single conceptual point - that intelligence is something beyond behavior. No one has ever measured intelligence, they've simply measured behavior in a certain (testing) situation and inferred this nebulous characteristic.

it is not simply the brain weight that is the point regarding intelligence; it is the ratio of the brain weight to the total weight of the creature

Sorry, but that is just more of the heavy misinformation load that this thread is carrying.

First, it's pointless to make statements about cross-species intelligence measures since there is no concrete definition of intelligence. The controversy that has been going on for decades is whether "Intelligence" is a single property (often called "g") or if it is some summation of a number of individual skills.

Second, the term and its measurement were based on Binet's attempts to determine learning potential in children; it's a reasonably good predictor of academic success although academic success is also influenced by a hots of other variables.

Third, simply looking at brain weight vs. body size makes for interesting charts but completely ignores why the differences exist AND where in the brain the additional neuronal content is located. The additional size in the Dolphin's brain is not uniformly distributed, it is concentrated in the auditory centers.

I'll save other comments for another post. :)

i was not supporting the brain/body mass business; rather correcting saxon's referring to only the brain mass.

if you met a person with stumps for arms & legs and speaking a language you didn't understand, how would you know that person had intelligence/conciousness on a par with your own? so pointing is good to go for either stumps or flippers. so is pointing while at the same time making a particular vocalization. wwaatteerr.

so, that's how we would know, and more to the point do know, that dolphins- or any other extant species- lack our intelligence and/or conciousness. we humans think alone therefore we argue among ourselves; other creatures...not.:sheepjump:

You've made an awful lot of assumptions here that you couldn't possibly provide support for. They all seem to start from a single conceptual point - that intelligence is something beyond behavior. No one has ever measured intelligence, they've simply measured behavior in a certain (testing) situation and inferred this nebulous characteristic.

given your career, i won't possibly try & support my contentions by any further behavior. :dust:

well human behaivior dictates teacing achild multiple things, for survival, just like any other species

on society, these usually include reading , writing , and arithmetic

while teaching my friends daughter at 1 1/2 lettes, by 2 yrs, she would pick up a book and read every letter in the book

while teaching my friends kids math, in 7th grade, she is taking geometry

the idea, i think, is we choose what to teach to assure what we view as survival strengths

so as a bee learns to harvest pollen and bring it back to the hive, and a bird learns to build adobe nests, or a dog learns to obey a human,

its based on survival,

while all a dog needs to learn from its parents is a few things, listen to the human, and bark and bite if they say

while a cat learns to listen to the human, and catch things if neccisary

then what the human learns depends on the parents idea of survival

i saw a homeless lady with 3 kids, she was "flying a sighn"

while her children had the dexterity to teaqr cardboard apart, and write on it,

while the writing was simple scribbles, it showed the elarned behavior

and not neccisarily that she tought them, but they did what she did,

she learned by watching them

similar to a child that watchers his mom get abused

similarly abuses his spouse

or vice versa

a girl who watched her mom get abused

tends to find abusive relationships

these are all learned behaviors

i was not supporting the brain/body mass business; rather correcting saxon's referring to only the brain mass.

given your career, i won't possibly try & support my contentions by any further behavior. :dust:

Did I come across as too pedantic? Sorry.

Just trying to add another dimension to the discussion.

How would you ever know?

Whole other topic:

Sorry.

Maybe Not.....

Saxon Violence

How would we know if they communicate mathemathics... By computer analysis of their communication?

The extra brain matter perhaps should be put in areas where we know activity related to intelligence occurs.

The case of the efficiency of the brain is beginning to matter in this thread, i think i pointed it out earlier.

And last: Whales are not good for checking the theory that size matters! I think the topic IS testable, its only the test animal that is wrongly selected: Lets use banana flies instead. Or why not start from the beginning and equip large bacteria with tiny brains, or is that dangerous?

Okay, we've had some lively discussions about what it is that leads to intelligence.

But now tell me, Assume that you can alter genes to give you any Brain Configuration that you're smart enough to desire.

I mean you can't tell the Gene-Spinning Machine "Make me a Super Genius".

You can tell it {Just for instance} Scale the Left Hemisphere up 25%; Scale the Right Hemisphere up 11%; Double the number of connections in the Corpus Callosum; Give him Total Recall and Absolute pitch, Total Ambidexterity , and very rich Synesthesia.

You couldn't tell it,"Make the Dude Psychic," unless you'd traced this Presumed activity to certain structures in some Brains.

Also, assume that there are Absolutely no Ethical Issues involved in modifying genes any way that you think is helpful.

So what is your best guess how we can brew up a Super-Genius.....

Picture a Dude who can play Blindfold Chess against a Dozen top-ranked Grandmasters, and win at least eight of the games.

A Dude who can go to any gathering of Top Mathematicians--of any modern specialty--and say, "Dudes, you've been overlooking This, This and This..."

Having advanced the state of the Art a good seventy-five years or so, and sent each of them home with bulging notebooks filled with enough interesting and productive lines of work to keep them very productive and happy for years.

So what would you do?

One Idea: I don't know how big Human Brain cells are (In the Physical Sense) compared to other Living Cells. I would imagine that in theory, at least, they could be smaller, and still fulfill all their necessary functions.

{We may, or may not want to shrink the length of the Axions and Dendrites.}

But anyway, if you could shrink the cells 30%--and manage to cram 15%-20% more Brain Cells into the same sized skull.....

You might get much the same increase in computing power that CPU Chip Designers do, putting more and more circuits on the same sized chip.

Saxon Violence