Science Forums

Mri Of An Orgasm

Deepwater6

The ABC article below describes a woman who experienced an orgasm while having her brain scanned by a MRI machine. It says that other than a seizure orgasms light up all other parts of the brain like nothing else.

In the last two years I was unfortunate enough to have had two seizure's. Unlike orgasms I don't remember the seizure's. In fact I didn't even know I was having a seizure until I came out of it and saw two police officers standing over me in my kitchen after my wife called 911. With a bleeding tongue and a deep cut in the back of my head from hitting the baseboard molding when I went down it's needless to say they were not as much fun as a orgasm.

Apart from the feelings of each the seizures took a toll on my memory and some higher functions. As I have stated in other threads I now struggle with advanced math and my short term memory. It's very frustrating to not remember what you had read a day or two ago and then have to go and reread it all over again. I never had that issue after an orgasm.

If scientists could harness the power of an orgasm in pill form it would be epic. Aside from the fun of it would definetly help people with chronic pain. Although you wouldn't be able to take this pill and drive or work around machinery, but hey I can live with that.

I have trouble understanding how she did what she did inside an MRI machine. They are so tight on me I usually can barely move arms and legs. Of course she could be lying or "faking it" if you prefer, but why would she lie about sex though? I lied to have sex once, but it was with myself so I really don't count that one (ahem). My point is can extreme stimulation activate the brain in the same way an orgasm does? Is this just her brain being stimulated? I'd also like to see this done with men to see if there is a difference in regions of the brain that is affected between the sexes.

It's a very interesting article. I also found the comments below it very entertaining. With one person responding with " why don't they take a shot of your brain when you lose your job?"

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/11/18/brain-imaging-captures-female-orgasm-in-action/

My sympathy for your brain injuries, Deepwater. I hope technology can help you with some of your symptoms, like the short term memory and math. Though I’ve been lucky not to have a brain injury, at 51, I’m certainly beginning to feel the nigh unavoidable effects of aging, and have pretty much pinned all my hopes on avoiding senile stupidity on technological aids.

The ABC article below describes a woman who experienced an orgasm while having her brain scanned by a MRI machine.

Though the 18 Nov 2011 ABCNews article seems factual and accurate, as with any article that doesn’t provide links or citations, it’s a bit deceptive, in that it gives the impression Komisaruk, Beyer-Flores & Whipple’s fMRI orgasm and pain studies were done recently. They were actually done in the mid 2000s, culminating in the 2006 publication of their book The Science of Orgasm.

I have trouble understanding how she did what she did inside an MRI machine. They are so tight on me I usually can barely move arms and legs.

The ABCNews article’s too decorous to state it explicitly, but I imagine subject Nan Wise manually masturbated lying on her back, which requires little movement, and could surely be done in an MRI scanner. She’s an experienced, state licensed psychotherapists, specializing in sexuality (a sexologist), so I imagine is as worthy of the title “trained professional masturbationist” as a person can be.

Of course she could be lying or "faking it" if you prefer, but why would she lie about sex though?

It’s pretty much impossible to fake orgasm under MRI imaging, or older, simpler objective clinical measurements, such as blood pressure or nipple engorgement. Anyone with even introductory clinical knowledge of the physiology of orgasm is for all practical purposes impossible to fool into thinking a subject has had an orgasm when she has not.

Apart from the feelings of each the seizures took a toll on my memory and some higher functions. As I have stated in other threads I now struggle with advanced math and my short term memory. It's very frustrating to not remember what you had read a day or two ago and then have to go and reread it all over again.

Might I suggest fish oil (high doses) as it helps with a number of brain functions. This guys stuff is second to none and as previously stated here on Hypography by CraigD (I think) Dr. Dave is on the list of top researchers:

http://www.drdavesbest.com/frontend/proddetail.aspx?pn=DDB-FO