Science Forums

Telepathy , Telepathy Is Possible?

teleneurolog

I am medicine student , today I received email from one person that "can use telepathy".

Is it possible that telepathy works on the distance of few kilometer, correct and all the time?

I can not find any official document on any existing person today that can use telepathy

but I found Vinko Rajic and Uri Geller and they are talking that they can use telepathy.

Why they do not make research on it? Many Schizophrenic are coming with similar story.

Can it be that some Schizophrenics are just receiving from some other head?

James Randi offer 1000000$ for evidence, but Vinko and Uri can use telepathy or maybe NOT?

There is not scientific evidence for telepathy. Why this telepathy madness?

At Edinburgh University, experts conducted controlled experiments to see if telepathy is possible.

Vinko maybe can give evidence for it but why they do not make an experiment with Vinko or Uri Geller?

Why are Schneider's symptoms of the first rank for Schizophrenia exact the same as Vinko's telepathy?

Is CIA's remove viewing project just a bluff because telepath's like Vinko can never find out who actually

is sending to them , also receiver or sender can never localize each other.

I think it is in interests of science and human kind to make some really research on Vinko and Uri.

Welcome to hypography, teleneurolog. :)

Is it possible that telepathy works on the distance of few kilometer, correct and all the time?

All credible empirical evidence and biological science strongly suggests no.

As you appear to have already learned from researching the subject, no controlled test of that what’s commonly considered “telepathy”, such as communicating some simple datum such as a random name or number in other than an ordinary way, such as speech or writing, including several involving well-known performers such as Uri Geller, has had a positive result.

Some biology suggests that telepathy is, in principle, possible. For example, many aquatic animals that hunt shallow sea floor-burrowing animals use specialized organs to locate their prey by the weak electric fields generated by the prey animals nerves and muscles, or to recognize non-prey animals for activities such as mating. Present day brain imaging devices are able to recognize brain activity related to specific conscious thoughts. So, considering both of these, it’s not too great a stretch to imagine that a human or human-like animal might be able to directly “read thoughts”, though to read them at distances greater than a meter would require signal-processing capabilities greater than any presently known to filter out electromagnetic noise.

Sources: wikipedia articles electroreception and thought identification.

i think that all life uses it in one way or another

like a bee, if you send good vibrations, the bee is friendly, if you send bad vibrations you get stung

I don’t believe this is what most people mean by “telepathy”.

The conventional explanation that bees sting when threatened, so if you avoid moving in a way bees perceive as threatening when around them, you won’t be stung, is, I think, correct.

The explanation that “psychic vibrations” affect bees is not to the best of my knowledge supported by any valid scientific evidence or theory.

Some biology suggests that telepathy is, in principle, possible. For example, many aquatic animals that hunt shallow sea floor-burrowing animals use specialized organs to locate their prey by the weak electric fields generated by the prey animals nerves and muscles, or to recognize non-prey animals for activities such as mating. Present day brain imaging devices are able to recognize brain activity related to specific conscious thoughts. So, considering both of these, it’s not too great a stretch to imagine that a human or human-like animal might be able to directly “read thoughts”, though to read them at distances greater than a meter would require signal-processing capabilities greater than any presently known to filter out electromagnetic noise.

I disagree that there is a correlation between the so called electromagnetic signals of aquatic animals and the possibility (very weak if at all, I do agree about that)of some sort of telepathy in humans. There is not an "electromagnetic" signal in the same sense as radio waves or anything else that might propagate through air. Aquatic animals use an actual current (fluctuating DC i think) running through the water, there is no way i am aware of to propagate an electrical current through air (lightning maybe?), i have kept several species of fish that use this method of sensing and you can indeed use an electrical pick up to convert the currents into sound, they sound like a hum that varries from long ticks to very high humms but it does not consist of electromagnetic radiation.

I couldn't find the knife fish but they sound like a high to low frequency hum... but this one is good too

• 2 weeks later...

The weak electrical signals in your central nervous system are not strong enough to get out of your skull much less penetrate someone else's skull. Even if they were strong enough, there is no sensory organ in the human body that could detect those signals. Telepathy is not possible, and anyone who claims to have the ability is either deluded or lying.

• 2 months later...
Guest MacPhee

The weak electrical signals in your central nervous system are not strong enough to get out of your skull much less penetrate someone else's skull. Even if they were strong enough, there is no sensory organ in the human body that could detect those signals. Telepathy is not possible, and anyone who claims to have the ability is either deluded or lying.

Your're right, that the electrical signals made by our brains, aren't very strong. But the weak signals can be strengthened through our technological inventions. Like the thermionic valve, the transistor, and the integrated circuit. These make possible radio and TV. By which we send our words, thoughts, and images to each other, over long distances. All round the world, or even outside the world - to our modern astronauts in Space.

Telepathy means communicating at a distance, beyond visual range. Radio and TV do that! The age-old dream made true, by our technology.

To say "telepathy isn't possible, because our brains are too weak to send signals", is like saying - "flying isn't possible, because our pectoral muscles are too weak to flap wings". That pessismistic attitude, is daily confuted by our modern airliners flying through the skies.

Can't we be more confident of our human ability, to transcend the limitations of our bodies?

• 4 weeks later...

Your're right, that the electrical signals made by our brains, aren't very strong. But the weak signals can be strengthened through our technological inventions. Like the thermionic valve, the transistor, and the integrated circuit. These make possible radio and TV. By which we send our words, thoughts, and images to each other, over long distances. All round the world, or even outside the world - to our modern astronauts in Space.

Telepathy means communicating at a distance, beyond visual range. Radio and TV do that! The age-old dream made true, by our technology.

To say "telepathy isn't possible, because our brains are too weak to send signals", is like saying - "flying isn't possible, because our pectoral muscles are too weak to flap wings". That pessismistic attitude, is daily confuted by our modern airliners flying through the skies.

Can't we be more confident of our human ability, to transcend the limitations of our bodies?

I agree that what is not possible now might become possible in the future. The question, in the name of the tread, was "is telepathy possible?" I would ask it differently. Is telepathy real? Does it play a role in our exchanges of information?

Ludwik Kowalski

Guest MacPhee

I agree that what is not possible now might become possible in the future. The question, in the name of the tread, was "is telepathy possible?" I would ask it differently. Is telepathy real? Does it play a role in our exchanges of information?

Ludwik Kowalski

Yes, technological telepathy is real in the modern world. This is proved by the fact that you've just communicated your thoughts to me, and I am replying to you. Even though we are seperated from each other, by the width of the Atlantic Ocean. This Ocean ceased to be a physical hindrance to the rapid interchange of thoughts in the 19th century. When the Trans-Atlantic telegraph cable was laid down. That was a technological invention, which enabled humans to communicate instantaneously over very long distances.

However, if what your're asking, is: can human minds communicate over very long distances using only our bare brains. Without the aid of external technological devices, such as telegraph cables, telephones, radio sets, and communications satellites in Earth orbit.

Then all the evidence surely shows the answer is "no". Otherwise, why would we find it necessary to invent such long- range devices at all?

It might be argued, that short-range natural telepathy exists. But that's probably just our using cues from voice-tones, body-language, pheromone exudations and so on. And being too impressed by lucky guesses and coincidences of thought. Not by our reading each other's minds.

And the final disproof of non-technological short-range telepathy - over a billion mobile phones are in daily use.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all ye explorers of the mind :)

If telepathy exists then I dont think its developed enough to be of much practical value.

But what about other similar phenomena?

Say: Unconscious cooperation? A possible group phenomenon?

There is a such an activity I would like to see checked out by neurologists researching mind...

Come on guys, surely you can guess what activity Im thinking of? :circle:

(BRB)

Hi all ye explorers of the mind :)

If telepathy exists then I dont think its developed enough to be of much practical value.

But what about other similar phenomena?

Say: Unconscious cooperation? A possible group phenomenon?

There is a such an activity I would like to see checked out by neurologists researching mind...

Come on guys, surely you can guess what activity Im thinking of? :circle:

(BRB)

I'm thinking you have no physical definition of Unconscious, or mind.

:D

I'm thinking you have no physical definition of Unconscious, or mind.

:D

And to what use should such definitions be put if i had them?

I cant figure out why you think what you say you think...

No matter, I only conclude you are no telepath :)

I was thinking of an activity where text is produced by a group of ppl who all deny authorship of the text

so either they are lying or they have been unconsciously cooperating when the text was produced letter by letter!

And with no participator admitting of willfully (consciously) producing each and every letter.

Up to now it hasnt been possible to rule out the possibility of cheating.

But hopefully modern neurology might be able to expose cheaters...

If cheating is ruled out, the question of how the letters are selected so as to form a message need an answer.

I dont claim its telepathy, I just would like to know what the mechanism for this "unconscious cooperation" is!

And if unconscious cooperation in decision making occurs in social situations we yet are not aware of...

Seriously, the typical neuron produces an electro-chemical wave or impulse on the order of micro-volts. To measure them you need powerful, well-filtered, DC amplifiers and usually a Faraday cage (radiant energy shielded chamber).

Faraday cages can be copper screening "cubes" grounded to earth, or fairly elaborate metal chambers. When I was doing electrophysiological neural recordings if I left the door of my elaborate chamber slightly open I would pick up larger transients from the elevator door opening about 75ft from my lab than I would from an animal's retina.

If you aren't picking up transients from your microwave I really doubt that you could pick up individual neuronal activity. B)

On the other hand, with billions of neurons in the human brain, I doubt that you could pick up single neuronal activity with any instrumentation that didn't have an electrode inserted directly in the cell in question.

The EEG (Electroencephalogram) picks up mass potentials from neural circuits containing thousands (to millions) of axons, or potentials from specific neural centers in the brain called (confusingly) nuclei. The challenge there is to pick out the meaningful information from the hub-bub, sort of like picking out one, or a few, voices from the fans in a sports stadium all yelling at once.

Take visual information for example. To decode visual information within the neural system you have to identify the various layers of the optical cortex (the Occipital Cortex of the Cerebrum). At different levels, different cells respond to singular characteristics of the stimuli - straight line, angle of line, etc. These cells are "mapped" to specific parts of the retina. So you would have to know which layer the signal was coming from, and then which part of the retina was providing the signal. And you would have to do this without any direct contact with the individual cells.

I'm confident that it can't be done, no matter what technology comes down the road. :)

I think this thread is locked on the hypothesis that Telepathy , if it exists , is effected by electromagnetic impulses...

This unnecessarily restricts research, I have pointed towards the ouija phenomen as possibly having a telepathic origin and hinted that telepathy might be part of social situations not yet thought of. :nahnahbooboo: