Science Forums

Does Photocopying Light Have Any Effect On Correction Tape Applied On Paper?

I'm new to scanners, photocopiers and all these things. I want to scan some of my documents, most of which have correction tape applied on them, into my computer. The problem is that I'm not sure whether the photocopying light will cause any drastic effects on the correction tape, to speed up ink bleeding or thinning of the layer, or something else. Please advice.

I'm new to scanners, photocopiers and all these things. I want to scan some of my documents, most of which have correction tape applied on them, into my computer. The problem is that I'm not sure whether the photocopying light will cause any drastic effects on the correction tape, to speed up ink bleeding or thinning of the layer, or something else. Please advice.

on the practical side, try scanning some sacrificial test pages with tape & see if you notice anything. :idea: also, drop an e-mail to the tape & scanner manufacturers with your question. :cap:

on the theoretical side i would guess uv would be the most reactive radiation, but i can't find anything on if -or how much- uv radiation scanners produce. :shrug: in any case, i hazzard the guess that a single scan would produce no significant radiation damage in any wavelength.

:turtle: let us know.

• 7 months later...

Any light will have a photoelectric effect on most any molecule. As said above, sunlight or evensay an arc lamp would do the most damage, but we're talking many years, especially on plain paper. An example of a difference would be paintings or murals like "The Last Supper" or "Blue Boy." In the rennaisance era, DaVinci and many of the greats made their own colors and the materials, usually pulverized minerals, were incompatible so turned black over the years. Today they have been retouched so often that the works should be signed something like "DaVinci et amis."

I say scan at will. You'll have no problems. Maybe your great, great, great grandchildren might curse you, but do you really care? :)

Edited by 7DSUSYstrings