Science Forums

Hermeticism, Solar And Lunar Cycles, And The Form Of The Human Mind

dieadderalls

The idea of astrology was well accepted, for a time. Unfortunately it was discredited when scientists discovered that the sun did not - in fact - rotate around the earth, but the other way around. However I believe that the outside world and the internal world may, perhaps, be reconciled by way of Hermeticism. I must apologize in advance for the wide-ranging fields included in my theorizing, it gets a bit choppy here on in.

"As above, so below"

The concept of micro and macrocosms has pervaded science since its inception. When you break down your own body it is made of "intelligent" functioning organs, that work in sync with each other and perform function specific actions, and inside those organs are cells, which again perform individual actions, working with each other to create organs as organs work together to create humans. Below that we have molecules and atoms, electrons, nuclei and eventually the quark soup at the base of all matter (i sometimes doubt that these packages are as discrete as scientists would have us believe, but I do not know as much about it as i would like, and am open to learning in this area).

So we have conditionally established the existence of the internal world, including the brain. The brain is well accepted in the scientific community to be a complex sequence of chemical interactions which cause the phenomenon called "consciousness". The study of consciousness, as you well know if you frequent this forum, is psychology. Jung and Freud established the field of psychoanalysis, which is the field which interests me the most within psychology. I consider it even analogous, as all we can do is attempt to understand, and theorize accordingly.

[fig. 1, a structural model of the mind]

Freud composed a very detailed "map" of the mind [fig. 1], where the ego is the individual consciousness. However his idea of the ego is not a new one, but has been expounded in religious texts for a long, long time. Stretching back to Hinduism (Ahamkara,अहंकार) and Buddhism (Skhandas, a more complex concept involving "aggregates" and other mental confusions, but an analogous idea nonetheless). All that set aside we turn now to the conceptual ideas of Hermeticism. If we can see our body as a functioning mechanism, with smaller and smaller evolving "societies" within it, but if it is so within us, what of without us? does the external world mirror the internal world, and does the internal world, in turn, mirror the mental world.

This is returning to my point, which is that the outside shape of the universe may mirror our internal world. The sun is in many ways similar to the id. It is all enlightening (elucidating etc.) in that it reveals the world to us. Under the light of the sun an object may be examined and understood, whereas under the light of the moon we find confusion and disagreement, due to lack of visibility (even on the night of a full moon it is still nowhere near bright enough for the type of examination that can be performed under the light of the sun). perhaps the sun and the moon cause our consciousness to evolve in the way it does, by also affecting our "rhythms", circadian and otherwise. The movements of our activity are in some way determined by the phases of the moon, and the rising of the sun, so how could it not in some way affect consciousness.

I'm really sleepy so what I just wrote might not be congruous, but it is an interesting area to explore imo.

tl;dr our consciousness is formed by that which we see, in particular what causes vision: the sun and the moon. the moon represents ego, as it is a reflection (or part) of the moon, where the sun represents the boundless unconscious. discuss or slam/whatever. another interesting thought experiment would be to ask if a planet had an extra sun, or an extra moon, what would happen to developing consciousnesses there?