Science Forums

Is Modern Technology Disrupting The Planet?

The idea that cell phones are the reason for the decline in bee population around the world took off like a proverbial rocket on the internet but apparently the research is unconfirmed. However, there is some cause for concern:

http://www.greenoptions.com/forum/thread/3865/are-cell-phone-killing-bees-maybe-but-that-s-not-what-the-latest-study-claims

all life "disrupts" the planet. nothing is not connected.

as to colony collapse, it is not cell phones.

...In a paper published on the PLoS ONE website on Wednesday, Oct. 6 (Bromenshenk et al), the mysterious cause of Colony Collapse Disease was revealed: a one-two, pathogenic punch from a virus and two species of fungus. But just which throws the primary hit, and which adds the opportunistic “knock out” punch, remains unclear.

Source: Mystery of Honey Bee Colony Collapse Solved

• 1 year later...

I agree with Turtle, it's not cell phones. The following article provides more food for thought. Personally I think some new over used Pesticide has placed bees under a great deal of stress which makes them more susceptible to every other disease. But that's just guessing on my part.

Disappearing Bee Theories

Why are the bees disappearing? Nobody seems to know. Here are some of the theories being debated about the reason for disappearing bees.It was earlier this year, during spring that news agencies first began reporting about a worrisome phenomenon about beekeepers going to their hives and discovering that their bees had vanished. Sometimes, all that remained were the queen bee and a few hatchlings. The puzzling thing was that the beekeepers did not find any evidence of the usual predators, such as wasps and animals that like honey. Neither did they find any trace of large numbers of dead bees nor any sign of bee diseases such as foulbrood or chalkbrood, which the developing larvae usually fall prey to, nor was there any evidence of any of the mite species that attack fully grown or developing bees. Hence, on the basis of this evidence, it was surmised that the bees couldn't have died of any sickness or predator attack. Plus, many of the beekeepers also reported that other bees, animals and moths stayed away from the newly abandoned nests, at least for the initial few days. From experience, this phenomenon has been known to happen when bees have died of chemical contamination or disease.

Why Should Disappearing Bees Cause Concern?

Well, arguably, the honeybee, which is the species of bees that is disappearing, is the insect that is the most important for the human food chain. The reason being, that this species is the main pollinator of hundreds of types of food crops, nuts, flowers, vegetables and fruits. Hence, it was no surprise that many, including scientists, found the news reports of disappearing bees alarming. In fact, some of the articles even suggested that it could even result in widespread starvation. Some of them also quoted Albert Einstein, who is supposed to have said that if the world's bees were to perish, humanity would too within four years, due to the absence of pollinators. Although it is highly improbable that Einstein had ever made this now-infamous statement about bees, however, Colony Collapse Disorder, or CCD, which is the phrase that has been coined for the disappearance of bees, is a phenomenon that is real. And, according to scientists, it does have the potential of impacting honey and food production dramatically. Hence, there are a number of theories being bandied about in an effort to fathom the reason for disappearing bees. Given below are some of the disappearing bee theories that are being debated about:

Could Stress and Diet be the reason for Disappearing Bees?

In recent years, honeybees have been undergoing great stress as an increasing number of beekeepers have taken recourse to filling up huge trucks with them and crisscrossing all over the country seeking pollination work. These bees may be suffering from the effects of an unhealthy diet that includes concoctions that are similar to power bars and energy drinks, basically made up of artificial supplements. In a number of states, the spread of sprawling suburbs has severely impinged on the natural forage areas of the bees.

Some say Radiation from Mobile Phones is the Culprit for Bees Disappearing

Some researchers are of the opinion that bee populations may be adversely affected by the rise in electromagnetic radiation in the atmosphere due to the increasing numbers of wireless communication towers and mobile phones. The hypothesis is that the radiation from these devices may interfere with the bees' systems of navigation, thus hindering their ability to find their way back to their nests. Some studies found that when mobile phones were placed near their hives, bees would not come back there. Further studies are underway at present to find out to what extent bees and other insects are affected by this kind of radiation.

Could Bees be Disappearing due to Pesticides and Genetically Modified Food?

Many think that the growing use of chemical herbicides and pesticides, which are ingested by bees when they make their daily pollination forays, are to blame greatly. Beehives that are kept for commercial purposes are also fumigated regularly with chemicals to get rid of harmful mites. Genetically modified crops, which could be producing pollen with poor nutritional value, is another suspect thought to be responsible for bees disappearing.

Perhaps a combination of both, pollen from genetically modified crops and chemicals, may have tipped the balance leading to the collapse of bee populations. This theory is lent credence by the fact that organically raised bees, which are not subjected to genetically modified crops and chemicals, are not undergoing the Colony Collapse Disorder that the other bees are experiencing.

Or is Global Warming the Reason Bees are Disappearing?

Scientists are also wondering whether global warming could be accelerating the growth rates of pathogens like fungi, viruses and mites, which are known to adversely affect bee colonies. The unusual fluctuations in weather patterns, which are also thought to be caused by global warming, could also be affecting bee populations, which are used to more consistent patterns of weather.

Although there are a number of disappearing bee theories like these, scientists are still searching for the cause. Even though there was no consensus amongst leading bee biologists when they gathered together to discuss the mystery recently, most were of the opinion that it could be a combination of factors that could be the reason. Hence, the next time you spot a busy bee buzzing about its business, stop and marvel at this little creature, thanking it for the marvelous task it accomplishes - for, if the trend of them disappearing continues, you may not see them around any more.By Rita Putatunda

http://www.buzzle.co...e-theories.html

Edited by arKane

Guest MacPhee

The idea that cell phones are the reason for the decline in bee population around the world took off like a proverbial rocket on the internet but apparently the research is unconfirmed. However, there is some cause for concern:

http://www.greenoptions.com/forum/thread/3865/are-cell-phone-killing-bees-maybe-but-that-s-not-what-the-latest-study-claims

Why should we be concerned about bees? They're just creepy-crawly things with no brains. They only annoy us.

For example, this morning, I woke up, and saw a nice sunny day outside. Unfortunately, my peace was disturbed by a big bee, which came bumbling in through the open bedroom window. This was quite alarming. Fearing its sting, I waited under the duvet, till it settled on the floor. Then I jumped out of bed, and captured it, by putting an inverted glass tumbler over it.

This safely imprisoned the intruder, and I rejoiced in Man's power over Nature. The rest of the story, is best skipped. Suffice it to say, the subject bee underwent some interesting scientific experiments. Eventually its corpse got thrown out the window. This act of apicide doesn't weigh heavily on my conscience. Bees don't feel pain, do they?

The point is, why should we think we're dependent on them. OK, they pollinate plants, in a kind of random and bumbling way, Can't we find a scientific way to do the same thing? I mean, if we want to protect plants from aphids, we don't rely on ladybirds. We spray the plants with insecticides. Can't we spray plants with pollen, and cut out the bees?

Why should we be concerned about bees? They're just creepy-crawly things with no brains. They only annoy us.

Well I can remember barbeques and company picnics where the bees were very annoying and I can even remember being stung a time or two. Never considered it much of a problem to be concerned about.

For example, this morning, I woke up, and saw a nice sunny day outside. Unfortunately, my peace was disturbed by a big bee, which came bumbling in through the open bedroom window. This was quite alarming. Fearing its sting, I waited under the duvet, till it settled on the floor. Then I jumped out of bed, and captured it, by putting an inverted glass tumbler over it.

This safely imprisoned the intruder, and I rejoiced in Man's power over Nature. The rest of the story, is best skipped. Suffice it to say, the subject bee underwent some interesting scientific experiments. Eventually its corpse got thrown out the window. This act of apicide doesn't weigh heavily on my conscience. Bees don't feel pain, do they?

I had to look up Apicide (never heard of it before)

Apicide is effective for treating bees, wasps, and hornets in wall voids. The entrance where the bees are entering, whether is be a hornets nest entrance or the entrance to a wall, can be dusted. The bees track this dust deep inside the nest killing the bees as they brush up against the "infested" bee or as the bees groom each other, etc.

Apicide is a 5% carbaryl (Sevin) dust in a ready-to-use applicator canister with a 6" extension straw for pinpoint and effective elimination of honey bees, carpenter bees and wasps including yellowjackets and hornets.

The point is, why should we think we're dependent on them. OK, they pollinate plants, in a kind of random and bumbling way, Can't we find a scientific way to do the same thing? I mean, if we want to protect plants from aphids, we don't rely on ladybirds. We spray the plants with insecticides. Can't we spray plants with pollen, and cut out the bees?

Bee pollination is the very cheapest way to get that job done, and I for one think food prices are way more than I want to pay already.

Bees pollinate more than farms. Unless you plan on spraying every plant - including wildflowers, non-fruit-bearing trees, and more or less any non-cultivated bushes, shrubs, and the like - bees and other pollinators would still be needed.