Science Forums

Low Energy Nickel + Hydrogen Fusion Reaction

kowalskil

Well that conference was interesting enough, especially Srivastava's input. Celani's English is even worse than Rossi's, in fact much worse; it was easier to follow the writing on his slides. Some of the material is available:

http://indico.cern.ch/materialDisplay.py?materialId=slides&confId=177379

One of the questions at the end accused Celani of cherry picking but I found that dude's point misguided and it ended up with Celani raising his voice somewhat. It definitely seems like more funding ought to go into these things.

Meanwhile, Rossi has been facing increasing hostility and outright accusations of lying, though I think some of these are due to the confusion that surrounds his activity.

• 4 months later...

Motives to fudge experimental data

I have read accusations that scientist are not always honest; that they produce reports to impress bosses, for example, in tobaco laboratories, drug companies, etc. In such institutions scientists “have a strong motive to fudge data;” they are payed to please. Commenting to this I wrote:

This observation calls for a clarification of the concept "scientist." Most often this term is used to describe a person preoccupied with an investigation in the physical world. Perhaps this is too broad. I suggest the following definition: "a scientist is a person who is not only preoccupied with physical matters but is also trustworthy." By "trustworthy" I mean "does not hide anything."

Here is one real situation. A claim was made, about a year ago, that a desirable energy-producing device was invented in Italy. About a mounth ago a prototype was actually demonstrated at Bolognia University.

http://pesn.com/2011/01/19/9501747_cold-fusion-journals_warming_to_Rossi_breakthrough/

Heat was generated as hydrogen gas was flowing through a niclel powder mixed with a catalyst. The inventor, Andrea Rossi, did not answer the question about the nature of the catalyst. One of my colleagues was present at the demonstration, standing next to it. He brought a portable instrument able to analyze nuclear radiation escaping from the device. But the demonstrator did not allow him to turn the instrument on. Because of this, I no longer think that Rossi is a scientist.

How would secrecy be justified by him? He would probably refer to undesirable competition, and to possible future difficulties with patenting the device. This is understandable. Secrecy is OK, but only up to the time at which the invention is publicly announced. A true scientist would not prevent my colleague from turning the instrument on; a true scientist would provide information about the chemical composition of the powder. Rossi certainly knows what is expected from a scientist. But he also needs money from potential investors. The demo at the university was probably designed to impress them. Ethically standards in business are not the saame as in science.

Ludwik

Text 29.txt

I was a graduate student at a university and I tested the data of a colleague who recently graduated with a M.S. Degree. In my Ph. D. work I wondered how he graduated so fast. Well, he fudged the data . I never told my research adviser because it was obvious he encouraged fudging . But I did my thesis research honestly ,by the book. I had a hard time finding a job( after I graduated with a Ph. D. in Chemistry)- since my research took much longer than the previous fudging colleague.

Mainstream Science overlooks anomalies since anomalies jeapardize funding from the Government as well as fundamental concepts in Physics and Chemistry. For instance , I think carbon dating is off by a factor of 2. The astrophysics of the Universe is better explained by Plasma Physics and Biochemical Reactions involve transmutation of elements (solvent-solute-surface -interactions via electrochemical pathways).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion

interesting, if you look at my model, and impetali,

it could descibe the inconsistancies with the experiments

where the same reaction may occur, but the timing in the frequency of the impetali in

both atoms might need to be in harmony ( so to say )

so when the experiments were running for a couple weeks, then all of a sudden the increased heat occured

it may we that was a period when the impetali was in sync

i wonder if a constant flow and recombination could solve this

where the duterium containing water constantly flows over the electrode

then using a pem you recombine the molecule, and have this process constantly flow

but again, the loss in heat ...