Science Forums

The Evolution Of Parenting

Deepwater6

Does anyone out there beside me see a trend with how relationships have changed over the past 30 years? Rather than the customary dating that starts in high school or college and blossom's into engagement and finally on to mariage. Of course there have been many changes over the decades and there will be alot more before our civilzation ends.

The current trend seems to be "hooking up". I have been married for over 25yrs so I'm only going by what I hear from the media. If there are younger HYPOGRAPHERS set me straight or let me know if this is the way things occur now. From what I understand there is no more going through the above steps to a relationship. People just meet have one night stands and then move on. Never seeing each other again. Whether kids are involved or not.

I'm curious to know how far our people will evolve hundreds of years from now. Society can enact laws to try and make people continue their traditional roles, but people will always find a way to seek their own path.

In the fictional movie K-PAX children do not have parents and they circulate amomg all adults. Learning from one and all of their elders. Would our society ever get to that point? In the age one parent households, gay marriage, and other transformations to our societal relationships are we moving forward or backwards? If we were to get to the K-PAX scenario, what would we do to safegaurd our children? What would we do with pedophiles? Could our scientist figure out a way to determine what adults would be safe to circulate around kids?

As a child growing up I saw parents who were smarter, better organised, and teachers of life than my parents were. I also saw parents that did it alot worse than mine. However I think I could have learned alot from circulating among multiple adults. Does anyone out there feel the same way?

...In the fictional movie K-PAX children do not have parents and they circulate amomg all adults. Learning from one and all of their elders. Would our society ever get to that point?

However I think I could have learned alot from circulating among multiple adults. Does anyone out there feel the same way?

i may have seen the film, but i can't visualize it. anyway, it sounds not unlike a kibbutz, and there's a lot of experience & study of that.

Kibbutz @ wiki

The first kibbutzim

Bilu'im, forerunners of the kibbutz movementPogroms flared up again in Russia in the first years of the 20th century. In 1903 during Kishinev pogrom peasant mobs were incited against Jews after an accused blood libel. Riots again took place in the wake of Russia's defeat in the Russo-Japanese War and the 1905 Revolution. The occurrence of new pogroms inspired yet another wave of Russian Jews to emigrate. As in the 1880s, most emigrants went to the United States, but a minority went to Palestine. It was this generation that would include founders of the kibbutzim.

Child rearing

From their establishment until the 1970s, most kibbutzim had a system whereby the children would sleep in communal children's homes, called 'Bayit Yeladim' (בית ילדים), instead of in their parents' apartments.

In addition to reports by individual journalists or reporters, there is a large body of empirical research dealing with child rearing in kibbutzim. Such research has been critical of this method of raising children.

In a 1977 study, Fox[citation needed] compared the separation effects experienced by kibbutz children when removed from their mother, compared with removal from their caregiver (called a metapelet in Hebrew). He found that the child showed separation distress in both situations, but when reunited children were significantly more attached to their mothers than to the metapelet. The children protested subsequent separation from their mothers when the metapelet was reintroduced to them. However, kibbutzim children shared high bonding with their parents as compared to those who were sent to boarding schools, because children in a kibbutz spent three hours with their parents every day.

In another study by Scharf,[18] the group brought up in a communal environment within a kibbutz showed less ability in coping with imagined situations of separation than those who were brought up with their families. This has far reaching implications for child attachment adaptability and therefore institutions like kibbutzim. These interesting kibbutz techniques are controversial with or without these studies. ...

plato advocated taking children from their parents @ age 10, testing them, and then putting them in training by professionals in a curriculum suitable to their abilities.

as to learning a lot from other adults, in spite of living with parents i think i circulated among many adults. teachers, coaches, parents of friends, employers, yada yada yada. i don't think such circulation is necessarily correlated to any one particular living arrangement.

one of the kabobbles of parenting is that every new well-intentioned parent thinks they have got something better when at best they have only something different. :turtle:

Thanks Turtle, I have never heard of Kibbutzim before very interesting. I guess when I think about it I was rounded out by a large group of adults, but it sure would have been nice to go visit uncle Albert E. for a few weeks when I was in math class. To go visit Uncle Hubble when learning about astronomy, and to visit uncle Heffner while in health class.