Science Forums

Mysterious Voynich Manuscript Dates Back To Early 15th Century, Researchers Find

Moontanman

Mysterious Voynich Manuscript Dates Back to Early 15th Century, Researchers Find

The Voynich manuscript's unintelligible writings and strange illustrations have defied every attempt at understanding their meaning. (Credit: Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University)

ScienceDaily (Feb. 10, 2011) — University of Arizona researchers have cracked one of the puzzles surrounding what has been called "the world's most mysterious manuscript" -- the Voynich manuscript, a book filled with drawings and writings nobody has been able to make sense of to this day.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110210153016.htm

I've never heard of this before.

Reading the article:

But a second, closer look reveals that nothing here is what it seems. Alien characters, some resembling Latin letters, others unlike anything used in any known language, are arranged into what appear to be words and sentences, except they don't resemble anything written -- or read -- by human beings.

makes me wonder about the manuscript's language. There are a bunch of high-res pages given here: http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/hercolobus/kolbrin_07.htm and it talks a bit about the characters used.

I see one site claiming that it,

Looks Old Javanese,

Personally, I think it looks a little like Sauron's Black Speech:

Any case, Interesting :agree:

I've heard of secret languages being 'invented' around that time. Enochian is an example that comes to mind (ok—the only example that comes to mind :))

~modest

This fascinating, an old book written in a language no one knows (Modest, maybe Tolkien knew?)I used to make up code when I was Jr High School. The principle found a few of our notes, deciphered them, found the contents objectionable and applied some heat our seats with a large paddle full of holes, this of course pissed me off so i wrote a code and used it to wrote about 12 pages about the principle and not only his questionable ancestry but his own current sexual habits as well, it was long and convoluted and referenced many animals, hehehe, he never figured it out, he worked on it for weeks then came to me to help him figure it out (he had no idea I had wrote it, lol) As far as i know he never did figure it out...lol

Now days with a computer I am sure it could have been broken easily but he just didn't have the right stuff, possibly he was too busy being a short sawed off version of hitler...