Science Forums

Stainless Steel Alternatives.

Yeah, Moon, that's what I kinda suspect too, it's the reason I cautioned him against hoping for it.

I'd avoid table salt, NaCl, because it will produce chlorine gas rather than hydrogen (the chlorine ion has a larger standard electrode potential than hydrogen).
Odd that my high school chem teacher didn't tell me that when I asked his advice because my home fiddlings were giving messy results, he only said I likely was driving too much current density or something.

Other salts, I agree, will work very well. Sulfate salts, in particular, work well.
Yup, I said salt, didn't I? :P :D

Well, I've never been much of a chemist.

Odd that my high school chem teacher didn't tell me that when I asked his advice because my home fiddlings were giving messy results, he only said I likely was driving too much current density or something.

Shows to go ya :ohdear:

Yup, I said salt, didn't I? :P :D

:lol: Indeed you did. I certainly couldn't disagree :D

~modest

I think you guys misunderstood me, I am using Hydrogen gas instead of HHO (which is already fueling the vehicles on experimental basis).

It is highly dangerous process because if it get out of control then it may result in explosion but we are only using 3 volt power to carry this process.

As for salt as a catalyst, although its a good option but we should not ignore its draw back, the one precisely, it will also catalyze the rusting process.

We are able to completely run Motorcycle on this but as I said in the start we need more gas to run the car engine. Once the engine gets started it also starts recharging battery.

Above is a laboratory diagram of our cell.

I think you guys misunderstood me, I am using Hydrogen gas instead of HHO

When I said "diatomic" earlier, that meant H2. Whether it is HHO or H2 O2 is really immaterial.

(which is already fueling the vehicles on experimental basis).

There is no doubt that hydrogen can fuel a vehicle. The question is... how are you powering the electrolysis unit? Does it get its power from the motorcycle's battery which in turn gets its power from the motorcycle's engine?

It is highly dangerous process because if it get out of control then it may result in explosion but we are only using 3 volt power to carry this process.

I recall reading before that the most efficient voltage for electrolyzing water is something like 3 point some-odd volts, but I can't find any reference to that online after spending about 10 minutes searching. Any case, it would be good to test both the current and voltage of your setup.

As for salt as a catalyst, although its a good option but we should not ignore its draw back, the one precisely, it will also catalyze the rusting process.

Indeed, as I said before, chlorine is notorious at corroding steel. If you put NaCl in as an electrolyte (or 'catalyst') then I have no doubt your steel electrodes will suffer tremendously. This, however, is not the case with other electrolytes. Sulfate is the most common anion in the electrolysis of water. Sulfate salts (like epsom salt) are what they give you when you buy most pre-built Hoffman apparatuses.

So, you might try that although I could not guarantee what effect that will have on stainless steel.

I can, however, guarantee that sodium hydroxide (NaOH — commonly called "lye") is both an excellent electrolyte and will *not* corrode steel. You can see here.

Whichever way you go, you definitely *need* an electrolyte.

We are able to completely run Motorcycle on this but as I said in the start we need more gas to run the car engine. Once the engine gets started it also starts recharging battery.

Ok... If your battery is fully charged then it is possible to run your motorcycle for a time with the electrolysis unit. The battery will, however, drain and die. The hydrogen produced by the unit cannot run the engine while being powered by the engine. That would be perpetual motion and if you accomplished it then you would solve the world's energy crisis and be the most famous person on planet earth.

There are many sites on the internet written by scientists and engineers who explain why putting an electrolysis unit in your car is of no value. There are a host of other independent sources like Popular Mechanics which have tested electrolysis units to see if they make your vehicle more efficient. The tests failed. As expected, there is no value in putting such a unit in your vehicle.

If you are saying that you can operate your motorcycle without fueling it with gasoline or recharging a battery with your home's (or some other source of) electricity then we will simply not be able to believe you because such a thing is impossible by the laws of thermodynamics.

If that is not what you are saying then I apologize.

~modest

• 2 weeks later...

If you are saying that you can operate your motorcycle without fueling it with gasoline or recharging a battery with your home's (or some other source of) electricity then we will simply not be able to believe you because such a thing is impossible by the laws of thermodynamics.

If that is not what you are saying then I apologize.

~modest

Sorry for late reply, my PC crashed. If you are talking about The Second Law of Thermodynamics, then it is not violated. But if we suppose it is, then who said it is absolutely correct, history shows many laws were changed by the time.

On the other hand this system is only converting one form of energy to another and it is fueled by water. This system doesn’t even claim as an ideal system.

When I was in 8th grade, I build a since project of generating electricity from Waterfall. This is an old idea, but what I did new was that, I connect the turbine with a pump that pulls back water from lower bowl to the higher bowl. There were some drawbacks like by time water gets dried. That also violate many laws but it worked, you can try.

Because your system is not an ideal system, it will have losses. If you 're-charge' the input with the output, then (excluding losses) you effectively have output = input = output and so on. But including losses, if the amount of inneffiency is x, then you have input - x = output then output - x = input and so on, losing energy at every step. Also, keep in mind that this is only if you don't take energy out of the system to do work.

As for the example you provided of a similar machine, while it may run for a long time it will not run forever, even iff the water suplly is replenished so that the amount of water remains the same.

But if we suppose it is, then who said it is absolutely correct, history shows many laws were changed by the time.

If you told people that you stepped out your front door and floated up and hit the moon they might say "that violates the law of gravity". Saying that the law of gravity could change doesn't make the story any less miraculous.

On the other hand this system is only converting one form of energy to another and it is fueled by water.

Water is not the fuel. The electrolysis unit requires energy to make hydrogen. It takes more energy to power the electrolysis unit than you can get from burning the hydrogen that it produces.

This system doesn’t even claim as an ideal system.

If it were perfectly efficient then it would be of no value. If there is any loss of efficiency anywhere (and there always is) then it will hurt your vehicle's performance.

When I was in 8th grade, I build a since project of generating electricity from Waterfall.

Fun :)

This is an old idea, but what I did new was that, I connect the turbine with a pump that pulls back water from lower bowl to the higher bowl.

The point is that you cannot move all of the water going through the turbine back up to the top of the waterfall using the electricity from the turbine alone.

There were some drawbacks like by time water gets dried. That also violate many laws but it worked, you can try.

You mean the pool above the waterfall dried up or the one below it?

~modest